Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Prints are unwatchable in my opinion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill Prints are unwatchable in my opinion

Old 10-13-03, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing I've never noticed these so called dots before. But damn you all to hell for bringing it up. 'Cause if my memory still holds this coming Sat for Kill Bill, I might just look for it... I hope not.
Old 10-13-03, 02:44 AM
Banned

I didn't know people still watched camcorder bootlegs.
Old 10-13-03, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the thing is, even with their little dots it did not stop any piracy!! kill bill workprint is already out on the net without any dots at all. The only thing it did was ruin the final product of the film itself! Wonder if they'll do the same for the DVD release
Old 10-13-03, 03:08 AM
Banned

They're two different brands of bootlegs.

From the look of things, they're trying to thwart both. One with dots and the other with screener banning.

The DVD release just gives people a better DIVX/XVID rip.

Movie companies know what to do if they want to curb down on this. Just lower your damn prices you greedy whiny bastards.
Old 10-13-03, 03:17 AM

Saying they're not that bad ignores that they're a distraction! It's like someone randomly tapping you on the shoulder every now and then while you watch. It's not that big a deal but part of your mind is now anticipating and watching out for it. And that just sucks.
Old 10-13-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen it twice and either my theatre didn't have any or they are just not very obvious -- I was even looking for them the second time.
Old 10-13-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't even know about this crap until I opened this thread. Unfortunately, I looked at this thread before I saw the movie...and then I noticed them in the movie. Yeah, it was annoying.

If I hadn't known about these dots prior to seeing the movie, I doubt I would have even noticed. But since I knew going into the movie, I think I looked out for the dots.

Thanks alot Pants.

Old 10-13-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I read this thread on friday and I completely forgot about this until last night I saw Kill Bill and (like everyone else) noticed them during the black and white part. At first i thought it was blood splattering, but then i remember its in black and white, so obviously red isn't going to show up as red.

Like a lot of others have mentioned, dam you to hell for pointing this out to me. I never noticed before, but now i'm sure i'll notice them all the time.
Old 10-13-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
But here's my question:

Let's say someone wants to bootleg this thing. What's to stop them from adding extra brown spots to confuse the studios? Easier than removing them.

Doesn't take too much thought to come up with that idea.
Old 10-13-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ConanDestroyer
Must you be so immersed in your fantasy film world for the movie, which people bust their asses off to make, to work?
Exactly! Great artists busted their ass to make the film as good as posible and then some studio prick makes the print look like crap at the last second

Ever watch an old VHS tape?
Of course I have, but I've never paid $10 to watch one. When I pay the ticket price, I expect PERFECTION. Even at the $14 premium theaters you won't get a perfect presentation because someone wipped their ass with the print.
Old 10-13-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never noticed any dots. I guess I was concentrating on the story more than any dots that come up.
Old 10-13-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
I never noticed any dots. I guess I was concentrating on the story more than any dots that come up.

These people who are starting for ****ing dots and watching and counting people walking out of the theater, and then they claim the STUDIO is ruining the theatrical experience for them. Man, you've got to love internet logic sometimes.
Old 10-13-03, 12:50 PM
Banned

Sorry, from now on I will no longer "starting for ****ing dots". Whatever that means.
Old 10-13-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple things here. I manage an 18 screen cineplex and can tell you that complaining to your local theatre manager won't do a thing to stop the problem. We have no control on what the studios do to their prints before we get them. I DO know that there is a serious problem with people sneaking camcorders into theatres and video taping the film and putting them up for sale at your local flea markets and city streets.

The world doesn't revolve around the internet, and there are still plenty of people ripping off the film companies out there the old fashioned way. The dots help the film company know what print was copied, and by that can tell the location for investigation.

Also note, that simply lowering prices will not solve the problem of piracy in my opinion. Lowering prices will squeeze out the profits made by littler theatres (i.e. the art houses etc.). If you don't believe me, ask your local indie record store owner how the latest Universal music group plan of 'price breaks' for consumers could possibly nail coffins in their stores.

Most of you are probably well aware of this, but ticket prices are so high because studios demand outrageous percentages of box office grosses from individual movie chains and theatres. Recent examples include FOX demanding over 90% of the take for Star Wars Episode 2. That means if your local theatre is $10 a ticket, they receive $1 of your hard earned money. That my friend is why we always complain about concession prices - that is the ONLY place theatres make their money. This is another reason the major chains have moved to 'pre-show entertainment', which boils down to ads.

No, the answer isn't lowering prices - that will only hurt the theatre industry. It all goes back to the studios, and the security of your local theatres in ensuring piracy is stopped. When I screened "Kill Bill" on Wednesday night I definitely noticed the red dots - but to me as someone in the business, I'd rather they be used as a deterrent to a guy who's going to sell a copy to fifty people on the street who won't come buy a popcorn at my stand b/c they watched it on a VHS tape at their house.

Just my .02 and then some.

Last edited by Flynn; 10-13-03 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 01:06 PM
Banned

So what will happen to your income from concessions when I stop going to your theater altogether because the quality of the presentation is so poor?
Old 10-13-03, 01:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Flynn:
so what do you guys do about camcorders? i've never seen that acually happen while wathcing a movie. do you guys call the cops on him? just kick him out? take him to the back and break one of his hands?
Old 10-13-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't notice it.

I guess the solution is to just STOP GOING TO THE MOVIES if it bothers you so much.
Old 10-13-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
I didn't notice it.

I guess the solution is to just STOP GOING TO THE MOVIES if it bothers you so much.

ah come on.

To be fair, Net guys that post on sites like this are notoriously ANAL about what they like and don't like. Some of the same guys crying about "dots and smudges" are the same guys who're the 1st ones to get illegal copies of these films on the Net.

Then they self-righteously bitch about how the industry tries to protect its product. But they have no problem downloading an illegal copy and trading it even when it has "PROPERTY OF" or "TIMESTAMPS" right on the print. For some reason they don't mind watching free copies with that kinda stuff

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-13-03 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-13-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Flynn

A bunch of stuff..

What steps are the theaters actually doing about cameras anyways? I don't see anyone caring to much. Hell in my good ol' days I theater jumped for a full days worth of films and never was even told anything. How are you suppose to catch someone with a camcorder when you can't catch theater hoppers? Or is it alright for theater hoppers because the chances of them buying something from the stand increases the longer they stay in the theater?

Also, From my experience on the scene of all this bootleg, the majority of these groups releases are inside jobs. they are taped during the screening or late night runs when there is no one but themselves there. What will dots really do other then narrow down to what theater the pirated copies are coming from? In most cases the situation is simply this. One copy is recorded and uploaded. then it is downloaded by the folks on newsgroups and IRC. it then trickles down to other bootleggers who make their mass number of copies and spread them out to there workers at flea markets who then sell to the consumer. So in all. lets say Kill Bill is playing and recorded in New York. That copy that hits the flea market in Florida or Texas will be the same one. now lets see the MPAA sends someone to look into the theaters in New York. how many showings per day is there of any given film? at the very least 4. and with the amount of times per week it makes it virtually impossible to be able to catch these people. Not to mention that just because Kill Bill came from a New York theater doesn't mean that the group is only located in New York. the group that releases the bootleg might also have members in Ohio or any other place on the map. so Kill bill is taped in New York, next weeks new release is recorded in Ohio and so on and so on. These dots really aren't going to be anything other then one location these possible inside jobs took place at.

I have seen these dots before. I really pay no mind and even though they are annoying, they don't kill the theater going experience. But it really doesn't seem like it will do all that much good in the long run to actually catch the piraters. You might as well get more security or a search done before people go into a theater. Hell, put a large magnet at the door so if they do have any tapes they will get demagnatized on the way.
Old 10-13-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Wouldn't you think that by lowering ticket prices, people would be more willing to spend money on concessions? Isn't that the income effect? When you have more money in your pocket because something goes down in price, you increase your purchasing power.

"That ticket was 7 bucks instead of 10. Well maybe I'll buy a soda because I only really wanted to spend around 10 bucks today anyway."

You can't just look at it as the theater losing money. If you're only getting as your example 10% of the sales you shouldn't be that bothered by a lowered price. It's the difference between 1.00 and 70 cents. You may be making 30 cents less profit on the ticket, but you will more than make up for that on extra concession sales.
Old 10-13-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Didn't notice them during Kill Bill (and I knew they were out there.)

Too entertained by the movie. I'm used to film prints having garbage on them anyway, even on opening night.
Old 10-13-03, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll also say that I'm not sure that it renders the film "unwatchable", but it IS definitely a case where once I see them I can't STOP seeing them. It's a bit unnerving.
Old 10-13-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to diverge off the topic, but to add on to what Flynn was saying...

When I was in college, I did an accounting internship at the corporate headquarters of a major regional theater chain (at the time, it was the 2nd largest chain here in Hawaii), and the president/owner/founder used to always tell me that he'd let people see the movies for free if they would buy popcorn and a Coke.

In other words, yeah, movie theaters make their money on concessions, not ticket sales.

Old 10-13-03, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by F For Fake
I'll also say that I'm not sure that it renders the film "unwatchable", but it IS definitely a case where once I see them I can't STOP seeing them. It's a bit unnerving.
Exactly the problem. For anal people like me, once I see it I can't stop seeing it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.