Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill - references to other movies (Possible Spoiler)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill - references to other movies (Possible Spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Charlie Chan

Originally posted by elengineer
Anybody else catch the "number one son" line that the southern sheriff uttered?

To me, there is another interesting parallel. The sheriff is obviously an extreme sterotype (real thick accent, etc) and so was Charlie Chan (accent, etc).
The sheriff and the sheriff's son are crossover characters from FROM DUSK TIL DAWN 1 & 2 (same actors, same roles), so those "extreme stereotypes" were in place before KILL BILL.
Old 10-13-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that people have mentioned Five Fingers of Death I just recalled that the flashbacks are similar to that film as well. They are both shot in a sepia tone and both use the same music, that siren sound. That film also has a revenge type plot and focuses on his eyes when they do the flashback if I remember correctly.
Old 10-14-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
QT interview with more referrences:

http://japattack.com/japattack/film/tarantino.html
Old 10-14-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was simply amazed when I sat there watching the movie and the sound of the title theme for Isaac Hayes' "Truck Turner" movie began to play........I owned this sucker when it came out on vinyl, being a Hayes/blaxploitation fan, and if one looks around it can be found on CD as well. I LOVE that song!! He also pulled "Run Fay Run" from another Hayes soundtrack action flick, Tough Guys. Great, great stuff. QT really catered to scads of cult film geeks like us with this movie .
Old 10-14-03, 12:59 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Love the fact that QT would have used Bruce and Alexander Fu Sheng !

Fu Sheng is a total legend!
Old 10-14-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAH!! TRUCK TURNER!!

I knew I had heard that before..
Old 10-14-03, 08:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The movie is CENSORED, which is a reference to The Little Mermaid.
Old 10-14-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Also, the switch to Black and White (although clumsy) seems to be a variation on the nightclub shootout that concludes Suzuki's Tokyo Drifter.
There were a couple of shots out of Tokyo Drifter, or so I thought, but that wasn't one of them. When the lights went out, and the swordfight continued in silhouette, I thought that was an homage to TD, and there was a brief shot in the teahouse from underneath the glass floor as a character (Uma?) walks over it.
I also thought there was something of a Takashi Miike influence, particularly in the character of GoGo (killer kids in Fudoh) but QT has stated that he hadn't seen Fudoh.
Old 10-14-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally posted by whaaat

I also thought there was something of a Takashi Miike influence, particularly in the character of GoGo (killer kids in Fudoh) but QT has stated that he hadn't seen Fudoh.

My take on Go Go, is as a reference to Sukeban Deka (cute but deadly chicks in schoolgirl uniforms wielding unusual but lethal weapons), but I'm not sure if he's seen those films. Also, others have mentioned that Chiaki wore the same uniform in Battle Royale but I haven't seen the film recently, in order to know for sure.
Old 10-14-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Also, others have mentioned that Chiaki wore the same uniform in Battle Royale but I haven't seen the film recently, in order to know for sure.
It's a little more "conservative" in BR, and she actually wears a track suit for most of her part.

Saw the movie a 2nd time tonight and liked it more than I did the first time (where I was getting irritated by cell phones going off left and right and people answering them.)

Also, the Miike Takashi inspirations seem fairly non-existant.. Odd weapons were common back in the day, added with school girl = woo. Fudoh.. they didn't really wield odd weapons, just Uzis-type guns and vaginal blowdarts.
Old 11-10-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most obvious to me that I haven't heard mentioned... Uma's yellow outfit reminded me of Bruce Lee's in Game of Death.

The Crazy 88 reminded me of part (2?) of the Samurai Trilogy where Toshiro Mifune fought 44 guys. I thought QT just doubled it.

The aforementioned Tokyo Drifter with the silhouette.

Old 04-14-04, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
it actually was when one of the crazy 88 members got his eye pulled out of his socket by uma.
Ah - trick question! The Willhelm scream is in TWO places. The eye plucking AND the guy down the stairs. First movie I can think of that featured it twice, I believe.
Old 04-14-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wasn't there a site that listed all of the references to other flicks...?
Old 04-15-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I'm sure there are tons of sites that list many of the references, but I haven't heard of a definitive one that lists all the references. This very thread seems fairly comprehensive, overall.
Old 04-18-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
David Carridine playing the flute just like in Circle of Iron.
Old 04-18-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also, when O-ren lifts up the guys head in pt 1, its kind of like how John Lone does in year of the dragon.
Old 04-19-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
In Vol-2, Bride & Elle did a simutaneous kick/knockdown at each other that was reminiscent of the fabulous Jackie Chan/Benny "The Jet" Urqiduez fight in Wheels on Meals.