Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill - references to other movies (Possible Spoiler)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill - references to other movies (Possible Spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 09:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by fahmad
Even though this is minor, there seems to be a breakfast cereal theme in Tarentinos movies, the "fruit brute" in Resovior Dogs and Pulp fiction, and Black Mamba shooting through the box of fruit somethings.
The cereal in Kill Bill is "Kaboom!"
Old 10-11-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Mondo Kane
The quote that starts the movie, "Revenge is a dish best served cold", originally said in Star Trek 2:Wrath of Khan.
I knew this wasn't original to Star Trek so I tried to find the real origin--best I could come up with:

Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos (1741-1803). He originally said it in French in his 1782 book Les Liasons Dangereuses: "La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid"

Of course, that doesn't mean QT didn't get up from Star Trek.

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-12-03 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-12-03, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I heard a Wilhelm scream in there somewhere...
Old 10-12-03, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Neeb
I think I heard a Wilhelm scream in there somewhere...
I think I heard one when a Crazy 88 got thrown down some stairs.
Old 10-12-03, 03:59 PM

oh yeah,

when Vernita Green said "I should have been black mamba", clearly a reference to resovior dogs (why do I have to be mr. pink? mr. brown sounds to close to mr. Sh@#).
Old 10-12-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by trigun
I think I heard one when a Crazy 88 got thrown down some stairs.
it actually was when one of the crazy 88 members got his eye pulled out of his socket by uma.
Old 10-13-03, 03:55 AM
Banned

I can't B-U-L-E-E-E-E-E-E-V-E nobody has mentioned the "weeeeer weeeer......weeeeer weeeer" sound from 5 Fingers of Death! C'mon get it together people!
Old 10-13-03, 08:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In the fight with Lucy Lui's gang , there is a section where she is on the floor whirling around hacking the legs off the gang members. That is just like the scene from Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury aka The Chinese Connection but Bruce uses Nunchaku instead of swords.
Old 10-13-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
I knew this wasn't original to Star Trek so I tried to find the real origin--best I could come up with:

Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos (1741-1803). He originally said it in French in his 1782 book Les Liasons Dangereuses: "La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid"

Of course, that doesn't mean QT didn't get up from Star Trek.
Yeah, but I'm fairly sure that Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos didn't attribute it to an "old Klingon proverb".
Old 10-13-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The male nurse's line, "My name is Buck and I like to ****" is spoken in 1977's Tobe Hooper film Eaten Alive, by none other than Robert Englund, aka Freddy Kruger.
Old 10-13-03, 09:59 AM

I can't believe nobody mentioned the obvious extended reference to Brian De Palma's Dress to Kill. When Daryl Hannah's character put on the nurses uniform, even done in split screen which is frequently used by De Palma all the while Bernard Hermann's music is on in the background which is something De Palma would use whenever possible.
Old 10-13-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
After re-watching Death Rides a Horse last night, I found out that not only was the theme music used in KILL BILL, but the flashback montages were also put together in similar fashion (The giant closeup of the eyes, A bright orange glow, and images overimposed on each other showing what happened on that "fateful day")

Even Lee Van Cleef says a line about Revenge being served on a cold dish!
Old 10-13-03, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by yojimbo1
I can't believe nobody mentioned the obvious extended reference to Brian De Palma's Dress to Kill. When Daryl Hannah's character put on the nurses uniform, even done in split screen which is frequently used by De Palma all the while Bernard Hermann's music is on in the background which is something De Palma would use whenever possible.
You're absolutely right. And the shot where she kuts the guys achiles is very much like Dressed to Kill's elevator scene.
Old 10-13-03, 03:20 PM
Banned

damn i haven't seen dressed to kill in ages. is it out on dvd?

also does no one here recognize the siren going off everytime the bride sees an enemy is ripped directly from The 5 fingers of death?
Old 10-13-03, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by karnblack
There is a jump Uma makes in the fight with Go-Go where you can hear the distinct sound of the Toho Godzilla roar in the foley.
I'm REALLY relieved that someone else heard this and that I'm not just losing my mind.
Old 10-13-03, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by F For Fake
I'm REALLY relieved that someone else heard this and that I'm not just losing my mind.
Actually, that's not a Godzilla roar. That's the same sound that the weapon in MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE makes.
Old 10-13-03, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SpinnerX
Actually, that's not a Godzilla roar. That's the same sound that the weapon in MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE makes.
That is correct. You can also hear The MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE beat as Oren Iichi walks back into the kiboo as Uma looks up. Too bad I'm the only one that recognizes the 5 Fingers of Death siren that was played...
Old 10-13-03, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by isamu
Too bad I'm the only one that recognizes the 5 Fingers of Death siren that was played...
You're not the only one.
Old 10-13-03, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SpinnerX
You're not the only one.
I'd venture to say you and I are the only ones that's even HEARD of the film.
Old 10-13-03, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by isamu
I'd venture to say you and I are the only ones that's even HEARD of the film.
Nah, I'm sure lots of people know the movie. But did you know that 5 FINGERS OF DEATH stole that music cue from the TV show IRONSIDES?
Old 10-13-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

During the animated sequence when the guy is shot in the car. The blood spattering on the rear windshield made me think of Marvin from Pulp Fiction (although this "shot" is from the inside).

And some of Sonny Chiba's voice-over (before his character is introduced) about revenge sounded like it may have come from The Way of the Samurai, a book quoted extensively (in narration) in Jarmusch's Ghost Dog. And obviously RZA did the music for that as well.
Old 10-13-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When the Sheriff shows up to inspect the carnage of the wedding, there's a shot of a bunch of sunglasses on his dashboard.. That's pulled from Gone in 60 Seconds(1974).

D
Old 10-13-03, 05:19 PM
Banned

The Way of the Samurai
Not a real book, BTW

It's all an homage to Melville who quoted all kinds of BS "old chinese proverbs" and such in Le Samurai and Le Circle Rouge
Old 10-13-03, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by sundog
During the animated sequence when the guy is shot in the car. The blood spattering on the rear windshield made me think of Marvin from Pulp Fiction (although this "shot" is from the inside).

And some of Sonny Chiba's voice-over (before his character is introduced) about revenge sounded like it may have come from The Way of the Samurai, a book quoted extensively (in narration) in Jarmusch's Ghost Dog. And obviously RZA did the music for that as well.
A lot of Chiba's voice-over stuff and dialogue is taken from earlier Chiba movies and tv shows like "Yagyu Family Conspiracy" and "Shadow Warriors."
Old 10-13-03, 09:09 PM

Charlie Chan

Anybody else catch the "number one son" line that the southern sheriff uttered?

To me, there is another interesting parallel. The sheriff is obviously an extreme sterotype (real thick accent, etc) and so was Charlie Chan (accent, etc).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.