Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Fish Trailer: New Tim Burton Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Big Fish Trailer: New Tim Burton Film

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-03, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Drop
I believe he means "thank god that Burton won't further taint his name by making another bad movie"....but the Willy Wonka movie just might do that. Then again, he says he's taking his time and waiting for a great script, so anything can happen.
well Burton must have a great script already, because principle photography begins after the New Year (in January).
Old 11-27-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
well Burton must have a great script already, because principle photography begins after the New Year (in January).
Really? I read on Dark Horizons November 14th, that there is no script and it is moving so slowly, nothing has developed actually. Maybe you have better sources than internet webpages, though.
Old 11-28-03, 06:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Drop
Really? I read on Dark Horizons November 14th, that there is no script and it is moving so slowly, nothing has developed actually. Maybe you have better sources than internet webpages, though.
well thats what producer Richard Zanuck stated at our screening of "Big Fish"
Old 12-02-03, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Granted, there are only six reviews up at Rotten Tomatoes, but the film has a 100% Fresh Rating at the moment.
Old 12-08-03, 02:57 PM

Now it's 14 reviews and 86% Fresh.
Old 12-09-03, 02:12 PM

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Banjo Boy from Deliverance has a cameo in this movie
Old 12-11-03, 03:22 PM
Ayo

It was a good movie. Even better because I saw it for free!

It wasn't as outlandish and extreme as I would have hoped, but still very Burton-y. Remenicient of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Terry Gilliam.
Old 12-12-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Munchausen meets Field of Dreams.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
Old 12-12-03, 07:49 PM

One of the best movies I have seen this year!
Old 12-12-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just watched the full screen version of the full trailer. I have to say it got me interested. Then again I'm a Ewan fan.
Old 12-22-03, 03:40 PM

I'm ready for this to come out. It's opening in more cities this week, right?
Old 12-23-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's very interesting. Not sure whether I really want to see it or not.
Old 12-24-03, 11:35 PM

I can't stress enough how amazing this film was. By far one of the best film's I've seen all year..
Old 12-25-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ebert gave it ** 1/2 stars.
Old 12-25-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Nice movie. Good, not great. Had a "Forrest Gump" feel to it. So if you hated that film, I don't think you should see this.
Old 12-26-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the ending went a long way to redeem the movie.
Old 12-26-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty good movie. Very visual....but thats expected from a Burton film.

Ewan was very good as was the rest of the cast.

Probably won't buy it....but I'll definitely rent it just to see it again.

Spoiler:
anyone notice the mailman in the last scene on the river bank with the rest of the people me and my date laughed out loud on that one
Old 12-27-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by FiveO

[
I'm with you on this one. I was thinking the exact same thing walking out. That I won't buy this. But would definitely watch it again. Because I was looking foward to this film more than another other this season, I guess you could say that my (just) "good" review means I was extremely disappointed. The story was just not quirky enough for Burton's typical work.
Old 12-27-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I thought it was a great, very enjoyable movie. Entertaining from beginning to end and quite touching at times.

I don't get the negativity, but a few people I saw it with had some serious problems with it.
Old 12-29-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Big Fish finally showed up in Atlanta, so I decided to check it out.

This film creates characters out of tall tales that make for a charming film-watching experience. The tone of the film is its strong point. It never forces the viewer to accept anything at face value, but by the end, you want to ... hook, line, and sinker, even if it seems to stretch the veracity of past exploits of its main character, Ed Bloom, to absurd lengths.

The cast is up to the task in creating characters that find common ground in the tales being spun, which is no small feat as the film could have easily spiralled out of control and become a parody, rather than a nice heart-warming tale of a son and a father finding one another in the language that both come to understand even if the world being envisioned isn't quite the factual truth, in the end, it's the style in how history gets passed on from one generation to another that gets explored in a very tender and human fashion.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 12-30-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was crying like a baby with this one. Damn, I haven't been moved like this in a long time. Very poignant story about fathers and sons.
Old 12-30-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by FiveO

Spoiler:
anyone notice the milkman in the last scene on the river bank with the rest of the people me and my date laughed out loud on that one

fixed
Old 01-01-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pillowhead
I was crying like a baby with this one. Damn, I haven't been moved like this in a long time. Very poignant story about fathers and sons.
Yeah, me too.

I haven't shed nary a tear at a film in ages. Now with this and Lord of the Rings: ROTK - two flicks got me within a month.

I must be getting soft.
Old 01-02-04, 02:44 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely the most emotional of Burton's films (though its easy to top the likes of PotA) and his best since Ed Wood. And he still managed to bring his visual weirdness to the film.

Quite a nice cast - I can't believe how much like Jessica Lange that girl looks! Good jobs by McGregor & Finney.

Spoiler:
I didn't realize Burton was a 'butt' man

Still, I didn't think the film was 'perfect' somehow. The ending dragged after it had already made its point. And yet other scenes seemed really hurried.

7/10
Old 01-02-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, count me in the crying camp. If you have any inkling of seeing it, just go out ASAP before it gets too big. But I really think this could generate some major word of mouth heat for the Oscars.

Spoiler:
I don't know what those critical of this movie have such problems with. I was particularly suprised by Ebert. Too often, special effects, and Burton to a lesser extent, have been all show and no go as far as illiciting maximum effect from the pricey expendtures. To me, this is the ultimate Burton film, because it's so unmistakably his, but is not cold or detached, and not to cool for itself to revel in it's emotion. For the armchair editors who felt the end was protracted, I respectfully disagree. To me, if you are on board for the death scene, then funeral was a needed coda to validate what everyone would have called an awful loose end, leading to complaints the other way. I really can't say enough about it, personally, but I knew absolutely nothing of it going in. I had seen the commercial when Ewan walks through the hanging popcorn and heard "A new film by Tim Burton" and not looked at another second of a trailer since then, so I didn't expect what I got. I enjoyed the begining for being a quirky lower key Burton film but still enjoyable and the it just stealthily built itself to be so much more. This movie caps for me what's been the best year of film since 1997. I can't wait to go again, and this will definately be the biggest male tear jerker since Field of Dreams

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.