Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dreamcatcher WTF???? Someone explaine...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Wow I just watched this and if someone out there read the book and would care to explaine what I just watched I would really appreciate it... I know that the ending for the book was different and would like to know what it was. The ending of the movie was not very good IMHO... I was confused from start to finish it looks like this movie could have been 3 hours or so... Sorry if there was another thead about this but I did search and found nothing...

Thanks for any help anyone wants to be!
Old 10-04-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ending in the book, from what I understand,
Spoiler:
doesn't turn out to be Godzilla vs. Mothra.

Bah.
Old 10-04-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they were ass worms. that's all you need to know to stay clear of this film.
Old 10-05-03, 12:48 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no need to explain. It stinks. Better to try to erase it from your mind. Analyzing it is not quite as rewarding as analyzing 2001.

Thank god I didnt pay for it.
Old 10-05-03, 10:01 AM

The only good thing about this movie was seeing "Final Flight of the Osiris" before it. And why do aliens speak with a british accent?
Old 10-05-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because British accents make the English language a lot more menacing. Duh.

Old 10-05-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been awhile since I have read the book but:
Spoiler:
From what I remember Duddits isn't an alien, just a person who suffers from Down's Syndrom, but has powers. Mr. Gray is actually defeated in a hospital in Jonesy's mind thanks to Henry and Duddits, who dies because he used up what energy he had left to help get Henry into Jonesy's mind. They kill the remaining worms, and save the world. They are kept by the military for 6 weeks so they can monitor them and make sure they weren't infected. After they are released the military still checks up on them to make sure they still don't have any signs of infection.

i hope that helps a little, if not...sorry!
Old 10-06-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Skank
The only good thing about this movie was seeing "Final Flight of the Osiris" before it. And why do aliens speak with a british accent?
Well, Damien Lewis is english. Yes, it was a bit too "pip-pip, cheerio", but I can understand the choice of two different accents to help differentiate between the two characters.

This film was EXCELLENT. The best laugh I've had in theaters this year.
Old 10-06-03, 08:26 PM

Dreamcatcher (2003) - * (Out of 4)
Lawrence Kasdan brought this Stephen King novel to the big screen. It started off like a Stand by Me later in life with Four buddies in Boston. It becomes obvious that there has been some dark events in their past. They take a hunting trip and next thing you know they are battling shit weasels. Initially this movie seemed like it had potential, but by the end I couldn't wait for the movie to be over. I didn't care what happened at that point. Morgan Freeman's talent was wasted on this horrible movie.

Last edited by Sinjin; 10-06-03 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guess that answers my question about the british accent.
Old 12-30-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Just a helpful tip:

The word is not spelled: "explaine," but rather "explain"

I guess watching too much garbage like this movie will rot your brain. Read more books!
Old 12-30-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I paid good money to see this, uh, film. I don't even think Kasdan (the director) or any of the cast could explain this one.
Old 12-30-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid bad money and I still felt ripped off!
Old 12-31-03, 11:37 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
to answer your WTF question...

Stephen King was out of his mind on drugs (after his accident) while writing the book and it sure as heck shows through.
Old 01-01-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Just a helpful tip:

The word is not spelled: "explaine," but rather "explain"

I guess watching too much garbage like this movie will rot your brain. Read more books!
That must have been it....
Old 01-01-04, 01:28 PM

this movie was pretty stupid, but I really liked scenes where whoever is running around in that guys mind. Its pretty cool.
Old 01-01-04, 04:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Skank
And why do aliens speak with a british accent?

It might be the same reason Orcs do in the LOTR trilogy. But heaven forbid anyone mentions a silly quirk in those movies...

I stand by DREAMCATCHER as a fun, B-level genre film. It didn't demand too much, and Jason Lee fighting a s**t weasel was worth the price of admission.
Old 01-02-04, 04:17 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scott shelton
It might be the same reason Orcs do in the LOTR trilogy. But heaven forbid anyone mentions a silly quirk in those movies...

LOTR is supposed to be British pre-history.

I stand by DREAMCATCHER as a fun, B-level genre film. It didn't demand too much, and Jason Lee fighting a s**t weasel was worth the price of admission. [/B]
Didnt this happen in Dogma?
Old 01-02-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by Geofferson
to answer your WTF question...

Stephen King was out of his mind on drugs (after his accident) while writing the book and it sure as heck shows through.
Very true. I couldn't even get halfway through this book. IMHO Kings most incoherent book. Then again I loved all his stuff until I read Bag o Bones, Hearts in Atlantis and Dreamcatcher. I've lost my taste for King.
Old 08-14-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just caught this on cable and I must say it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

It seemed like it would be a great movie based on the first 30 minutes, but after that it became more and more ridiculous. It had more laughs than thrills.

Jason Lee: WTF is wrong with you? Did you just want to be in a "Stephen King" movie? I could not get over his dialogue. I shuddered everytime he said something. He had the most godawful lines.

And I don't think I have ever heard of a British alien. That part of the film was extremely laughable.

So much was wrong with this film. It should have been great.

The ending was a "WTF? How dumb" moment.

Last edited by conscience; 08-15-04 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-14-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Too much packed into one story... should've been 3 different stories... probably was at one point. It's hard to say which bits should go and which should stay.

Outbreak - go
Stand By Me - go
Cabin Fever - stay?
Independence Day - Go
Ass worm - stay?
Inside the mind - CRAP
Body Snatchers - bleh
Duddits - GO GO GO - so much hate for that character. "ister gay!" Guh...

My roommate rented the DVD and I watched some of the extras... King said the entire thing was just based around the scene with Jason Lee on the toilet with the ass worm.

The best part of the DVD was an outtake scene where Donnie (duddits) was in the truck telling them how one worm will destroy the world and the other actor was overdoing his part exploring different line variations and Donnie breaks character and says "dude, yeah - I said 'un urm ill url'" - it was pretty hilarious. Otherwise, a pretty terrible movie as a whole.

And what's with the 'dreamcatcher'? It had nothing to do with a Dreamcatcher at all. Totally wasted theme.
Old 08-14-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THE....WORST....MOVIE....I....HAVE....EVER....SEEN
Old 08-15-04, 01:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Too much packed into one story... should've been 3 different stories... probably was at one point. It's hard to say which bits should go and which should stay.
Same problem I had with it. It reminded me of these writing activities we used to do in grade school. The teacher had someone start a story, then someone else write a little bit, and so on. The stories would always just keep switching gears illogically. This was the same.

Myself I would've kept the Stand By Me/Cabin Fever/ass worm theme. The isolation theme was starting to go somewhere. Of course, the godawful Outbreak/Independence Day crap has to go, plus all the British Alien possession/hidden mind world has to go.
Old 08-15-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
The worst part for me was making Morgan Freeman's character a bad guy. From what I saw of those Aliens they deserved every bullet they got.
Old 08-15-04, 06:42 AM

You think you have it bad paying for it in the theater? I blind bought this on DVD just to see what the fuss was all about. Ugh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.