Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Texas Chainsaw Massacre...I can't BULEEVE...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Texas Chainsaw Massacre...I can't BULEEVE...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the problem these days is that real life, with the war and school shootings and excessive violence everywhere, is more scary and ****ed up than any horror film

I think the reason some people don't find getting kidnapped by a cannibal and his psycho family scary is that they don't think it could ever happen to them. I don't know if you about you people, but I'd rather not be chased through the woods by Leatherface wielding a chainsaw For me to truly get into a horror film, even the classic ones, I have to be alone and watching it at night. If any people are around, they distract me from really getting into the film and rarely will anything scare me. Occasionally I can get into a scary movie in the theater, unless cell phones and loud talkers ruin the intense moments.

Plus, for a horror film to really work I think it has to really get into your head. Just imagine, especially for a movie like TCM, what if it did happen to me? If you keep telling yourself, "it's only a movie...", you just don't want to admit it's kinda creeping you out and you might as well turn it off. Anyway, I saw the original TCM about 4 years ago when I was 18 and I liked it. I went into watching it expecting a cult horror film and wasn't disappointed. It's similar to if you watch the film Black Christmas today. You might think it's ripping off a bunch of other horror films, then when you realize it was made in 1974 (like TCM), you should have a lot more respect for how original it was. I really liked the grainy, dirty feel (and I'm not really referring to the actual film quality). Even my very favorite NOES, Friday the 13th, and Halloween films didn't have that uncomfortable feel I got at certain parts of TCM. Maybe I just wasn't used to a slasher film where the killer actually RUNS while chasing a victim. That whole part was pretty relentless, and being a female I was just glad it wasn't me in those woods..... I don't think there's any way the remake will have quite that raw feel, considering it was made on a 10 million budget and the original was made for 140,000.

The remake should be pretty good, because the original cinematographer worked on it and it's supposed to be still set in the 70s and devoid of any post-modern hipster-wannabe bungholes. It's never as fun when I see those type of characters in newer horror films. I can never find any sympathy for them, and I want to see them hacked up as soon as they come onscreen begin their irony-filled babbling.
Old 09-25-03, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fumanstan
Ignoring the rolling eyes response, i don't see anything wrong with his post. I think he has perfectly legitimate reasons for disliking the movie. Sure, it's easy to say... "oh well look at the time, and look what it did for the genre." That's nice and all, but i don't think that necessarily makes it enjoyable today. I can watch Melies' A Trip to the Moon and while the effects were nice for 1902, it doesn't change the fact that its boring to watch now. It's one thing to praise a movie for artistic merit, it's another to ignore the fact that it sure as hell doesn't hold up
Thanks fuma...

The ratio is slightly more balanced now. Yeah, I realize it came out in 74...so what? The time period it was released in has nothing to do with whether I thought it was scary or not. I went in with an open mind and the film simply did nothing for me. Even watched it alone in the dark on my 65 Widescreen Toshiba and surround sound. No effect.

The way the beggining sets up and introduces the kids, and Leatherface's first few kills were pretty cool. But when she got to that crazy uncle or whatever, the movie took a rather goofey turn IMO and went downhill from there...

Girl tied up and witnessed a retarded trio of family members prancing around the dinner table taunting her and trying to get old grampa to hit her over the head with a mallet, then she escapes and busts out the window. Meanwhile Leatherface and the other knucklehead go after her and but she gets picked up by some random truck driver so Laetherface gets all pissed and throws a tantrum and starts flailing his chainsaw around like a 6 year old baby...BOOM...roll credits! *yawn* To think there are numerous people in this thread flaming me while defending this garbage is nothing short of mind boggling.

And yeah, I'm done with the Kub box set...it's a keeper
Old 09-25-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Shilex
Texas Chainsaw Massacre sucks!!! You want to see a true horror movie, then watch Darkness Falls. It OWNS!!! All other horror movies should take after this one.

On a side note, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a boring and lame sci-fi movie. Whoever that Kubrick guy is, he sure could learn a thing or two about science fiction from Paul W. Anderson and that guy who did Battlefield Earth.
Yeah, what Shilex said.
Old 09-25-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

another deep insight in cinema history thread...

My Random Thoughts on this Thread...

TCM was banned in many European contries thorughout the 80s and the film freaked me out when I saw it as a teenager.

Sure, one could compare it with what has been made today, and those who directed these films today have probably used and "killed the horse" by using the theme from TCM over and over again.

I bet George Lucas had an original idea for Star Wars...but today we know better....

Wrong Turn good horror film...sure and Cabin Fever was great too.

Darkness Falls...better acting could be found at the Kindergarten...though it had an interesting theme...

Please define "LAME" in regards to TCM...

Etc, etc, etc, etc...

Well, not much of interest from me... I think all cinema has some value even if it is horrid...
Old 09-25-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
still gives me the creeps, after all these years......
Old 09-25-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
saw it recently for the first time, and it even scared the crap of me, and i dont scare often.
Old 09-25-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
saw it recently for the first time, and it even scared the crap of me, and i dont scare often.
Except when you have to bust a move on a girl.

Old 09-26-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
isamu....I would love to know what you think of the original version of The Haunting. Is is "lame" as well?
Old 09-26-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by gnradd21
...devoid of any post-modern hipster-wannabe bungholes. It's never as fun when I see those type of characters in newer horror films. I can never find any sympathy for them, and I want to see them hacked up as soon as they come onscreen begin their irony-filled babbling.
Amen!
Old 09-28-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's about vegetarianism :P
Old 09-29-03, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by isamu
I suppose that response is MUCH EASIER than rewriting your initial post, since the two are basically the same thing.

Were you among the "winners" who thought Exorcist was a comedy too?