Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Depp and DelToro to resurrect the Duke and Gonzo!!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Depp and DelToro to resurrect the Duke and Gonzo!!!!

Old 10-29-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Depp and DelToro to resurrect the Duke and Gonzo!!!!

Anybody actually seen this? Wasn't very impressed by the trailer.
Old 10-29-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I noticed a review on this site, seemed to be positive. Apparently not the awesome adventure that Loathing was, but that's to be expected.
Old 10-29-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

There are two reviews on this site. One is 3 stars the other 2.5 stars. Even the more positive 3 star review doesn't make it seem all that interesting.
Old 10-29-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna see it. I like Johnny Depp still has fun with his career while DiCaprio is desperately Oscar baiting.
Old 10-30-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm gonna see it. I like Johnny Depp still has fun with his career while DiCaprio is desperately Oscar baiting.
That, or DiCaprio was offered a lot of money to play J. Edgar Hoover and he accepted it, while Depp was offered a role in a movie that nobody will watch and he accepted that. Talk of actors and directors "Oscar baiting" is so tired. What does that even mean?
Old 10-30-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I've got to oscarbate for a bunch of creepy old guys to get a role in a Clint Eastwood flick then I will whip it out right now!
Old 10-30-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido
That, or DiCaprio was offered a lot of money to play J. Edgar Hoover and he accepted it, while Depp was offered a role in a movie that nobody will watch and he accepted that. Talk of actors and directors "Oscar baiting" is so tired. What does that even mean?
It means doing a movie, whether it be an actor/director, that he/she believes will get them an Oscar. DiCaprio has been one of the highest paid actors for a decade now, I doubt money motivates his decisions.
Old 10-30-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It means doing a movie, whether it be an actor/director, that he/she believes will get them an Oscar. DiCaprio has been one of the highest paid actors for a decade now, I doubt money motivates his decisions.
He doesn't want more money? Ok...

What's the difference between working on a certain movie because you think it's a good story and want to do a good job in vs doing a movie just so you can win an Oscar? Did Deniro Oscarbait? Or Jack Nicholson or Dustin Hoffman? Was Tom Hanks Oscarbaiting in Philadelphia? What about Forrest Gump? Did Sandra Bullock make The Blind Side because she was desperately trying to earn an Oscar or did she do it just because she wanted to make a movie?

And even so, what's wrong with trying to earn an Oscar? Since when did that become something negative? Unless I'm mistaken that's the crowning acheivement of their profession. It would be like Albert Pujols NOT trying to win the MVP.
Old 10-30-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are actors out there that choose roles based on whether they have a real shot to win an Oscar. It's a real thing. Why I think DiCaprio is Oscar baiting is because J. Edgar looks soulless yet heavy on the dramatics. It's directed by Eastwood who's turned into Ron Howard lately (turning out glossy studio films tailor made for awards season.)

As for your examples, I don't think Bullock chose the role because she thought she would win an award (though seeing Julia Roberts win for Erin Brockovich probably helped). I also don't think any of the old school actors did it for an Oscar because it appears to be a relatively new trend.

The reason because I feel it's a negative is because there's a difference between what is a good movie and what the Academy feels is a good movie. DiCaprio pouts and yells in a serious, superficial drama versus Depp having fun in a small movie. But hey, maybe J. Edgar will turn out to be a great movie.
Old 10-30-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are actors out there that choose roles based on whether they have a real shot to win an Oscar. It's a real thing. Why I think DiCaprio is Oscar baiting is because J. Edgar looks soulless yet heavy on the dramatics. It's directed by Eastwood who's turned into Ron Howard lately (turning out glossy studio films tailor made for awards season.)

As for your examples, I don't think Bullock chose the role because she thought she would win an award (though seeing Julia Roberts win for Erin Brockovich probably helped). I also don't think any of the old school actors did it for an Oscar because it appears to be a relatively new trend.

The reason because I feel it's a negative is because there's a difference between what is a good movie and what the Academy feels is a good movie. DiCaprio pouts and yells in a serious, superficial drama versus Depp having fun in a small movie. But hey, maybe J. Edgar will turn out to be a great movie.
Sorry, I guess I just don't get it. It appears than whenever a bankable actor, other than Johnny Depp apparently, makes a serious movie, he/she is only doing it win an Oscar. DiCaprio has worked with Spielberg, Scorsese and now Eastwood. Something tells me that those 3 directors are mostly behind his pouting and yelling.
Old 10-31-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I'm the only one who it. It was just OK. Kind of slow actually. People who are looking for Fear & Loathing, this def isn't it. Some of the more interesting scenes are all in the trailer. Giovanni Ribisi was awesome in this. I'd say catch a matinee or wait to rent it.
Old 09-09-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked this as a kind of "Hunter S Thompson: Year One" riff. It was just an ok movie -- much as I like Aaron Eckhart the whole real estate plot left me cold -- but Depp is always worth watching, and Ribisi and Jenkins good fun too. I wouldn't call Rum Diary one of HST's best works either but I did like how Depp shows these formative experiences forging what would go on to be a Gonzo icon. Gilliam's movie far far better but this isn't awful, just not really necessary.
Old 09-09-12, 07:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a hot ticket.
Old 09-09-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

This movie works best as a double feature with Fear and Loathing. The ending is kind of bittersweet.

Spoiler:
It says he and the girl got married, but seeing as how most HST fans know he had several ex-wives, you know it never worked out.