Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

And the latest Superman rumor is...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

"Who is this mystery writer/director that could be coming onto Warner Bros' new-look, Peters lacking Superman? Who is
Mark Millar talking about? We can't say for sure who he meant, but after consulting various sources, only one name came up that wasn't McG... M. Night Shyamalan. "

Ripped from Super-Hero Hype who ripped it from Superman-V.com

This is probably one of the more far out rumors and pretty unlikely. But it sure is interesting none the less. It sure would be a big change of direction for the WB, going with Nolan in Batman and going with someone like Shyamalan. From the rest of the comments on the site, it sure sounds unlikely, but speculation is fun, no?
Old 09-18-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please God just let this go already. We don't need the "new Spielberg"'s head getting even bigger than it already is.
Old 09-18-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He does not like to use SFX in his movies, so how can Superman fly?He is lousy at that department
Old 09-18-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And when is M. Night going to do this? He's busy with The Woods(or whatever it's going to be called)and will be until next year I believe. Also, I thought that Disney had him locked up for a few movies after this one. Plus, doesn't M. Night prefer to make movies from his own material?
Old 09-18-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On the other hand, we already know Night is interested in comic book heroes..........
Old 09-18-03, 12:07 PM

If so, count me out. I have hated ever M. Night movie and I would hate to see his big "surprise ending" at the end of Superman.
Pretenious bullsh!t, in my opinion.
Old 09-18-03, 12:19 PM

Hey, some of us LIKE M. Night! I enjoy his films because they are far better than the other dreck Hollywood is producing. Plus the citizens of Philadelphia would be happy...since M. Knight always shoots in and around Philly, it would be the new Metropolis! There's plenty of corn country in eastern PA to cover as Smallville, too!
Old 09-18-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Shyamalan's films are generally slow, meditative pieces, and I love them for it. I really can't see him doing Superman based on his existing work, but I'd much rather have him on the project than any other of these would-be, yes-men, uber-hack directors du jour (McG, Brett Ratner, etc.). I mean honestly: they were trotting out shitbags like Dominique Sena and David McNally as serious contenders!

I'm still holding out for Ridley Scott, but I might as well try to raise Kurosawa from the dead...
Old 09-18-03, 01:24 PM

I like M Knight. I think it would be a great departure for him. At least he's capable of good storytelling and suspense. I can see him taking a completely different approach to this Movie than he's gone about his other movies, and knocking it out of the park. And shutting a lot of people up at the same time.

Better than McG. What the hell did he ever do that was good? I cringe at the thought of McG coming anywhere near the superman franchise.
Old 09-18-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I say try and get Richard Donner behind the camera, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Old 09-18-03, 01:45 PM

I'd rather have a good director like Night try his hand at action rather than a bad director continue putting out crap. McG is all gimmick and what's up with his lack of a real name? David McNally: did anybody even see Kangaroo Jack? Domenic Sena's decent though.
Old 09-18-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Night's Superman would be an even bigger disappointment than Lee's Hulk. Mark my words.
Old 09-18-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know much about the Superman mythos (at least from a comic book standpoint), but I think I would really enjoy M. Night taking this on. I don't know how realistic this rumor is, but it would certainly peak my interest. I just hope that something comes along soon b/c I think it's been too long since we've seen the REAL Superman.
Old 09-18-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jepthah
Night's Superman would be an even bigger disappointment than Lee's Hulk. Mark my words.
I know it doesn't happen often, but from me to you man.
Old 09-18-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not Tony Scott.
Old 09-18-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
And more from Superhero hype...

"Just a few words to confirm the accuracy of your reports that Jon Peters is leaving Superman. I have been on a spying trip at Warners, my friend works there. Anyhow, the name of the producer who is taking over from Peters, is Jerry Weintraub, an older, veteran producer i am told. Cant say the name rings any bells. Also the contracts between Warner Brothers, M Night Shyamalan and Brendan Fraser, are nearly signed and done deals. Thanks, Suzanne."

Looks like it may be more than just a far out rumor.
Old 09-18-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Weintraub? So will Superman get the Karate Kid or Vegas Vacation treatment. Of course, Weintraub was holding on to the Plastic Man rights about 7 years ago. Was an intseresting script to read. And the storyboards back then looked cool, too.

Personally, I still like the Wachowski's directing. Neo flying in Reloaded should seal the deal.
Old 09-18-03, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Also the contracts between Warner Brothers, M Night Shyamalan and Brendan Fraser, are nearly signed and done deals. "

THAT MOVIE WILL RULE! They picked the right actor for the cape. That's all i care about. M Knight will do a great job i'm sure. He's a lover of comics. Imagine him taking a more action approach to unbreakable... Man i hope this is true!

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 09-18-03 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt this is true. Even if it is true Im not sure if im overjoyed about the decision. Great director for the wrong movie IMO.
Old 09-19-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rather than have Shyamalan do Superman, why doesn't he finish his own superhero series with the sequels to Unbreakable? I'm pretty sure that's what most of us here would like to see him do instead of Superman.
Old 09-19-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Although I like Shyamalan, this sounds about as mismatched as asking Ang Lee to direct Hulk.
Old 09-19-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like what Lee did for Hulk, he definitely took a deifferent approach to comic book movies but did a good job IMO. Night would probably do the same for Superman but he needs to worry about doing another Unbreakable (which I am ironically watching now)
Old 09-19-03, 02:03 PM

If Peters is actually OFF the Superman project, it can only be GOOD news for fans...anyone who has seen "An Evening With Kevin Smith" can vouch for this.
Old 09-19-03, 02:53 PM

Peters getting the boot, if true, is far more important news than any rumors about a particular director or cast. Peters has been the single biggest obstacle to a Superman flick for, oh, the last decade or so.

Based on what I've read elsewhere, if M. Night is involved, I'd guess it would be only as a writer, not as a director. He has too many other irons in the fire, for one thing. He's too expensive, for another.
Old 09-19-03, 08:10 PM
Banned

They have already debunked the rumor. They are in talks to get Micky Rourke as the director, and Chris Tucker as Superman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.