Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

And the latest Superman rumor is...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

And the latest Superman rumor is...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by isamu
They are in talks to get Micky Rourke as the director, and Chris Tucker as Superman.
Old 09-24-03, 10:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I count myself as a fan of M. Night. I just don't see his style as a good match for Supes. He'd have to change his style to do it, so why bother. Pick another hero that matches your style more appropriately. Or better yet (as stated by someone earlier in this thread) let's see the second and third act of Unbreakable.

As for Ang Lee's Hulk, I definitely applaud his ambition. Because it is so different, it may end up holding up much better than it's contemporaries. I'll say this. If no one had ever heard of Hulk before this movie it would have been much better received. People's expectations of what a comic movie, and more specifically a Hulk movie, should be affected how they saw this (which is completely understandable). My biggest problem was with The Hulk himself. He looked too much like a pixar character imposed on the film. My willful suspension of disbelief just couldn't bridge the gap. Lastly on this, it should have been released in the Spring or Fall, not the Summer.

So who should direct Supes? My opinion is that is should be a big budget, ultimate thrill ride of a movie. Let the darker, brooding heroes be directed by the Nolan's of the world. Supes is about truth, justice and the American way. What's more American than the ultra deluxe summer blockbuster? Who is the master of that? Michael Bay.
Old 11-10-03, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-19362,00.html

Fraser Confirms He's Up for 'Superman'

Fri, Nov 07, 2003, 01:11 PM PT
By Mike Szymanski

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Look, up in the sky, it's a guy swinging from a tree, it's a guy running from a mummy ... nope, it's Brendan Fraser.

The guy who's played "George of the Jungle," starred in two "Mummy" movies and is about to co-star with Bugs Bunny in the upcoming "Looney Tunes: Back in Action"(opening nationwide Friday, Nov. 14), has confirmed to Zap2it.com that he's up for consideration to play the Man of Steel.

"Yeah, I've been approached, and I'm interested," says Fraser. "It's a possibility."

The actor is eager to play the caped Superman as well as mild-mannered Clark Kent, even though he's already brought to life the iconic "George of the Jungle" and "Dudley Do-Right."

"I mean, it's Superman, after all," Fraser says. "It comes down to a decision made from the studio level way on high, and it's something I have to consider carefully because the actor, whoever it is who plays that role, is historically forever known as that character. He's a superhero with no mask."

After a few false starts, Warner Bros. confirms having a script for the project by J.J. Abrams ("Alias"), which Fraser says he's read and claims, "It's a really good script."

"Charlie's Angels" director McG is attached to the project, now tentatively named "Kal-El: Genesis of Superman."

Fraser claims to know nothing more about the project, but insists, "I'm not trying to be funny, but stay tuned."

Chris
Old 11-10-03, 01:37 PM

At least Fraser LOOKS like Superman. I'm hoping he gets the part.

That title though! PLEASE change it Warners!
Old 11-10-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can we start casting Elizabeth Hurley as Lois Lane then (reprising their pairing from Bedazzled)?
Old 11-10-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Liz Hurley would be a cool Lois Lane. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Selma Blair or Katie Holmes in that role. The SUPERMAN films need a little more eye candy.
Old 11-10-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I like M knight. I would interested in seeing his take on Superman.
Old 11-10-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I like M knight. I would interested in seeing his take on Superman.
It was called Unbreakable and with some polish it could have been perfect.
Old 11-11-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

McG??

WTF?!
Old 11-11-03, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I don't understand why the studios would want McSuck to direct this. I hate everything he does. Please let a truck fall on his head so that he can't direct. He will ruin the movie.
Old 11-11-03, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
McG??

WTF?!
I just saw him last night on Punk'd. I didn't know he was white!!! He did ruin the last Charlie's Angels.

Chris
Old 11-11-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a feeling that this is going to turn into 2 hours of boredom with a weird surprise in the last 5 minutes.
Old 11-11-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I say it all the time, and I'll keep saying it.

This film should be directed by Ridley Scott, scripted by John Milius, and feature Jason Isaacs as Luthor and Jude Law as Superman.

Knowing Warners, we'll end up with a film directed by the guy who did "Boat Trip" or "Kangaroo Jack", scripted by committee with a re-write by Akiva Goldsman to include lots of hysterical one-liners, and starring Tim Allen as Luthor and Jerry O'Connell as Superman.
Old 11-11-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I say it all the time, and I'll keep saying it.

This film should be directed by Ridley Scott, scripted by John Milius, and feature Jason Isaacs as Luthor and Jude Law as Superman.

Knowing Warners, we'll end up with a film directed by the guy who did "Boat Trip" or "Kangaroo Jack", scripted by committee with a re-write by Akiva Goldsman to include lots of hysterical one-liners, and starring Tim Allen as Luthor and Jerry O'Connell as Superman.
Don't forget it should be scored by Basil Poledouris and co-written by Oliver Stone.

Though I think Jude Law would make a great alien, I feel Brendan Fraser looks more the part of a Superman than Jude Law. Perhaps Law should portray either Jor-El, Zod or the Eradicator (assuming the latter two would even be in the film).
Old 12-10-03, 11:34 AM

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-19756,00.html

Katie Holmes Lured by Bat Signal

Wed, Dec 10, 2003, 09:12 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Katie Holmes digs a man in a cowl.

The 24-year-old "Dawson's Creek" actress is on her way to playing Christian Bale's love interest, Rachel, in the new Warner Bros. "Batman" movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"Batman" will follow the early career of the Caped Crusader (Bale) and his dark past. In November, it was reported that Michael Caine would play Bruce Wayne's trusty butler, Alfred.

The latest of the Dark Knight's adventures is scripted by David Goyer, who also wrote big-screen adaptations for the "Blade" trilogy, and Christopher Nolan, who will also direct.

Holmes got her big break as Joey on the WB's "Dawson's Creek." She moved to films with Ang Lee's "The Ice Storm" (1997) and 2000's "Wonder Boys." She currently stars in the indie "Pieces of April" and will appear in the teen comedy "First Daughter" in 2004.

Chris
Old 12-10-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, Katie was my pick to play Lois Lane in a Superman film. Oh well.
Old 12-10-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Katie Holmes =
Old 12-10-03, 11:47 AM

Sorry I was stupid. I meant to put this in the Batman thread. I hate Monday mornings!

Chris
Old 12-10-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
Sorry I was stupid. I meant to put this in the Batman thread. I hate Monday mornings!

Chris
since it is good news, we can look past this minor mistake.
Old 12-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.hist
since it is good news, we can look past this minor mistake.
NOT WITHOUT PICS!
Old 12-10-03, 03:12 PM

Ridley Scott directing the new Superman movie would be awesome (he's my favorite director), but not likely.

I liked M. Night's Unbreakable, I didn't like The Sixth Sense, and I doubt I'd like Signs. Meanwhile, please dear God don't let him near the next Superman movie.
Old 12-10-03, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by metaridley
Ridley Scott directing the new Superman movie would be awesome (he's my favorite director), but not likely.

I liked M. Night's Unbreakable, I didn't like The Sixth Sense, and I doubt I'd like Signs. Meanwhile, please dear God don't let him near the next Superman movie.

No you got that backwards. Sixth Sense was an incredible movie, Signs was pretty good, but Unbreakable was terrible.

Chris
Old 12-10-03, 05:28 PM
Banned

Ridley Scott would be perfect for this movie! PERFECT! A director who truly has control of his craft...
Old 12-10-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Shyamalan absolutely nailed the tone and structure of a comic book on film with Unbreakable. He'd probably be best suited for a Smallville-type Superman origin project.

Re: Ang Lee and Hulk - I thought that the script was far and away the problem with the movie...especially that third act. Ugh.
Old 12-10-03, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
No you got that backwards. Sixth Sense was an incredible movie, Signs was pretty good, but Unbreakable was terrible.

Chris
Hah hah, okay. Well, I still enjoyed Unbreakable and didn't like the over-hyped Sixth Sense. But I haven't seen Signs yet. Based on my feelings towards his previous two movies, do you think I should watch Signs? I've heard yays and nays from my friends.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.