Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Net Flix question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Net Flix question?

Sorry if this is the wrong fourm and or if this has been discussed before.

But I wanted to get your opinion on Net Flix. I'm considering signing up for it but I wanted to know if anyone had any reasons why I shouldn't. (ie any horror stories dealing with them)

Also I live in Fort Worth TX. and I wanted to ask anyone from this area how long does it take for me to return a dvd and get a new one (My understanding is 2 Days, one to get there and one to be delivered) is this correct?
Old 09-15-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the service and couldn't be happier with it. Many people on this forum seem to be anti-rental for some reason. I use it to rent movies that I have never seen or for guilty pleasures. For instance, I've recently gotten into Elizabeth Taylor films because of Netflix. Her movies are harly obscure but I hadn't seen many of them. I really enjoyed Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe and Suddenly Last Summer, two films that I wouldn't have purchased blind or even seen, for that matter, without Netflix.

I live in San Diego, and my turnaround time for movies is about 3 days, which isn't too bad. I usually watch the films over the weekend, drop them on the mail on Monday morning and have new films by Thursday at the latest. I've only had problems with one disk out of roughly the 70 that I have rented.

I have also taken to renting TV series, like Oz and the Sopranos, that I really have no interest in purchasing. I don't have cable so I don't have opportunity to see these on TV.

Netflix also has a good selection of titles although they are a bit light imo on foreign films.

I believe that there is a 2-week free trial period so I recommend giving it a try. What have you got to lose?
Old 09-15-03, 01:55 PM

I've been using them for the past month and a half. So far very good. I like it for catching up on things I missed. Also as a subscription service you are more likely to get some things you might not from the blockbuster. The variety is definitely better, good foreign film selection.

I live in Grapevine, TX, and I've seen the turnaround be as small as 3 days. DVDs go back to Coppell from my location.

The only problems/nuances potentially so far

1) Some movies stay in wait status on your queue. Versus never been available with the exception of the trial period.

2) This past week movies shipped monday but did not arrive till saturday. Maybe my movies shipped from other locations. It was odd. Also noticed movies showing up as shipping tommorrow on the queue. Seems to be taking longer than it did initially.

3) Multi disc sets are sent one disc at time and count as one rental.

Right now I have 50 DVDs on my queue. So, that's pretty good. If I manage to get 3 a week, and get 12 rentals a month.

21.40 (3 out plan + tax) work out about $1.77 rental. I can't complain.

Last edited by DFWMovieGeek; 09-15-03 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Happy customer here. Been using the service for 6 months, and the postal service has lost 1 DVD so far. I just went into netflix's customer service panel and checked the lost movie box for that particular movie and they sent me a replacement, free of liability and charge.

Used to go to blockbuster once a week for 3 movies. On promotion periods, it's $10 for three. Regularly it's $4 a movie. Man, talk about running up the bills.

With Netflix, it's $21.65 for 3 out. On a good week, I get about 6 movies, or 24/month. 24x$4 = ~ $96. $96 - $22 = $74. That's a 77% savings.
Old 09-15-03, 03:59 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

if you like indi films, and older classics/foreign, tv seires etc you can really fill out that queue.
Old 09-15-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Netflix.
Old 09-15-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Netflix addict here. Use the search function; there's a lot of good threads on Netflix and other online rental services.
Old 09-15-03, 05:18 PM

I'm happy but they recently sent me the wrong movie and it's still hasn't been corrected after 5 days. They will have to improve this. I don't want to wait 5 days everytime they send the wrong movie to start my shipments again. Note: only the one disc is holding up shipment the other two are fine. But I paid to have 3 out.
Old 09-15-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I have nothing but the highest praises for Netflix, even more so that they now opened a wherehouse in AZ. I can get a movie one day, send it out the next, and get another one back w/in a day or two. That's like a 4 day turnaround. I'm watching about 4 discs a week or about 16 a month. It's about the same price as BB and with about 100x the selection.
Old 09-15-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also love netflix. I used to do quite a bit of blind buying but now I just rent and if I like it then I buy it. Saves me getting a bunch of movies that I end up not wanting. Only problems are that they don't put good movies in their "new release" category to try to decrease people wanting these movies. Because of that you have to know what is out there and search for it but no big deal for dvdtalkers so this is actually a good thing. As stated before, new releases and also some old movies are checked out for a long time so you need to time your returns so that they get them in on Monday b/c they send out the new releases a day early. Otherwise, forget seeing a new release for at least a month.
I found that 3 out at a time was not enough. For that reason, I went with the 5 out at a time and am very happy. Try it for a while and see what you think.
Old 09-15-03, 09:35 PM

I opened an account with Netflix early this morning. &nbsp The convenience of not having to deal with the crowds and traffic more than justifies the monthy fee.
Old 09-16-03, 10:42 AM

Netflix is awesome. I've been a member since soon after they opened in 2000 (At the time, it was 4 movies out for $19.95... a deal which they grandfathered me into when they raised their prices). I love it, they have almost every movie you can think of and their service is FAST. I can watch a movie monday and have a new one by Thursday. They almost always arrive the day before the web site says they will.

Some rarer titles have been on "long wait" for a REALLY long time, but from my experience they almost always eventually get more copies in (or whatever they do to get them off of long wait).
Old 09-16-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Netflix is great. I haven't visited BB or Hollywood since I signed up. I am notorious for keeping movies too long. No late fees is perfect for me. Put a movie in your queue on Monday it's in your mailbox on Wednesday at the latest. Awesome.
Old 09-16-03, 08:17 PM

I really love NetFlix as well. The turn around time varies, depending on where the DVD has to be sent from, usually its like three days from when you return a movie. As others have posted when you do the math it certainly works out cheaper than Blockbuster. Try it, they have two week free specials..its worth it if for no other reason than its selection and the time you save walking around a video store looking for a movie and in checking out your selection.
Old 09-16-03, 08:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Netflix is great. Go for it.
Old 09-18-03, 11:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As previously mentioned on other threads....
Netflix rocks! the rest suck.
nuff said