Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cabin Fever

Old 06-27-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Cabin Fever

Caught the trailer on quicktime.com. Looks interesting. The reviews make it sound pretty good. I'm kinda worried about the cast - it's got Rider Strong (kid from Boy Meets World) who I wouldn't have put in my list of people who can act. It's got Cerina Vincent - the naked chick from Not Another Teen Movie - another newbie who may or may not be able to act (all I've ever seen her do is be naked and flub an accent). It's also got James DeBello - the stoner dude from all those teen movies... he was in Detroit Rock City and even had a bit part in American Pie reacting to Jim's webcast. Also has Jordan Ladd - best known for being the daughter of Cheryl Ladd, but who's career seems to be taking off somewhat. Probably has the most experience of the group (is also the oldest I think at 28) yet is the least likely to be recognized. She'll be in the upcoming Broken Lizard movie (makers of Super Troopers) so she can't be all bad. Finally, there's Joey Kern - one of the college dudes from Super Troopers.

So the cast is all pretty green... it's up to the director to squeeze out good performances. This one's directed by Eli Roth... Um... yeah - I don't know who he is either. Apparently, this is his first feature. He's got the least amount of experience of the bunch. He directed what looks to be some sort of cartoon called Chowdaheads and he was in a Toxic Avenger movie and another Troma feature. Apart from that, nothing really worth mentioning.

So what's this film got going for it? Well, it's been developing a buzz, so there's gotta be something. There's a large supporting cast listed that promises lots of interesting characters throughout even though most of it takes place at a cabin with the 5 main actors. It appears to play homage to the genre and every film in it. As a fan of the genre, I'm certainly interested in checking it out.

Here's the plot summary from IMDB - "An offbeat horror tale about a group of five college friends on vacation at a remote mountain cabin when one contracts a flesh-eating virus. As it spreads among the friends, their true feelings and personalities emerge as they struggle to survive the virus and each other." However, it appears to be more along the lines of a cabin in the woods horror film. The effects are supposed to be good.

Anyone heard of this flick or actually seen it? Care to comment? I'm sure this thread will either be ignored or it'll get alot of "this movie will suck" comments... I guess I'm just strangely drawn to movies that have little to nothing going for them in the potential department, but that are getting good reviews and word of mouth.
Old 06-27-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh - here's the synopsis from the official website...

As a last hurrah after college, friends Jeff, Karen, Paul, Marcy and Bert embark on a vacation deep into the mountains. With the top down and the music up, they drive to a remote cabin to enjoy their last days of decadence before entering the working world. Then somebody gets sick.

Karen's skin starts to bubble and burn as something grows inside her, tunneling beneath her flesh. The group is so repulsed, shocked and sickened watching their friend deteriorate before their eyes; they lock her in a shed to avoid infection. As they debate about how to save her, they look at one another and realize that any one of them could also have it. What soon began as a struggle against the disease turns into a battle against friends, as the fear of contagion drives them to turn on each other. The kids confront the terror of having to kill anyone who comes near them, even if it's their closest friend. The survivors have to find help before they're all killed by the virus, or by the local lynch mob out to destroy anyone who may have come in contact with it.

Based on skin-curdling tales of the real life flesh eating virus (as well as a real-life experience by writer-director-producer Eli Roth), CABIN FEVER blends the elements of classic horror films of the 70's and 80's with modern day medical terror. Necrotising Fasciitis, the flesh eating strep, devours over 1500 victims annually in the United States alone, releasing toxins in the body that can eat through a human in a matter of hours...
Old 06-27-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am looking forward to this one. I have read that the director wanted to make a "1980s" style horror film. The trailer is cool.
Old 06-27-03, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait horror movies are starting to go old school(Wrong Turn) this should be good.
Old 06-27-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw the trailer for this before Wrong Turn and 28 Days Later. It looks like it could be good. I'm sure I'll check it out.
Old 06-27-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BongTokin Chuck
Can't wait horror movies are starting to go old school(Wrong Turn) this should be good.
Yeah - I thought Wrong Turn wasn't half bad... I liked it alot better than 1000 Corpses. I'm really worried about the talent involved with this film though - ex - Troma and ex-Boy Meets World... that's scary enough. On the upside - this type of movie is cheaper to make and generally better than a movie they spend tons of money on using digital effects.
Old 06-27-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rider Strong rules. Hopefully this will be good.
Old 06-27-03, 09:13 PM
mwj

This movie has great buzz. Has anyone seen it? Was it good?
Old 06-27-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rider Strong rules??
Old 06-27-03, 11:58 PM
Rest in Peace

Bah humbug I am still trying to get evil little girl out of my DVD Graphic User Interface. I ain't ready to get cabin fever, I have been staving it off now for 18+ years of living my life in a apartment.

Wait till I get that girl out my GUI, maybe then I'll think of watching another horrorfest. LOL
Old 06-28-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by danol
Bah humbug I am still trying to get evil little girl out of my DVD Graphic User Interface. I ain't ready to get cabin fever, I have been staving it off now for 18+ years of living my life in a apartment.

Wait till I get that girl out my GUI, maybe then I'll think of watching another horrorfest. LOL
I have no idea what the hell that means, but I'm honored to have you in my thread. Thank you for visiting. "Go back to the Mars, Earth is too dangerous."
Old 07-02-03, 09:10 PM

Last edited by zak52; 07-03-03 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey - that red x looks alot like this one...
Old 07-02-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I have no idea what the hell that means, but I'm honored to have you in my thread. Thank you for visiting. "Go back to the Mars, Earth is too dangerous."
My man D is referring to a thread he started last week about the The Ring DVD's menu sound effects coming through his computer speakers. Seemed to have really freaked him out.

Back on topic, seems like it may be a cool movie, with a little homage to the The Evil Dead "cabin in the woods" horror sub-genre.

Unfortunately, the only real horror film trailer I saw before 28 Days Later was for the Heath Ledger movie The Order, which looks pretty crappy.
Old 07-03-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for deciphering D's cryptic message.
Old 08-03-03, 05:47 PM

Cabin Fever Review

I caught a screening of Cabin Fever at the local film festival. Since many dvdtalkers seem to like the horror genre I thought I'd type a quick review.

PROS: Whoever described this movie as "Old School" horror was dead on. Although I don't consider myself a horror junkie, I certainly watched my share of monster/horror/slasher flicks as a kid. This movie has the same feel, script, and plot of late 70's and early to mid 80's horror flicks. Second, the humor provided intentionally (scripted jokes) and sometimes unintentionally (cheesy lines) I found hilarious. Lastly, the foreign exchange (naked) girl from Not Another Teen Movie is really, really, really hot.

CONS: The "Old School" design works both for and against this movie. Anyone looking for an in-depth charactor, clever plot twist or anything non-predictable for that matter should skip this movie.

OVERALL: Remember those horror movies you used to pick out at the local video store that had cool coverart? This is one of those movies. My advice is if you like the old horror movie formula of: dumb guys + hot girls + blood + guts + cheesy humor = fun movie, you will enjoy Cabin Fever.

p.s. Anyone who wants to know more about the movie just post questions on this thread and I'll be glad to reply.
Old 08-03-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the original Cabin Fever thread for reference. Thanks for the review.
Old 08-04-03, 11:47 PM

IGN has a new "director's cut" trailer.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/432/432008p1.html

I love this trailer. It goes by the "less is more" theory. Pretty effective.
Old 09-12-03, 07:44 AM

Cabin Fever - Full or limited release ??

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knew if Cabin Fever was getting a full release everywhere today ??

Up here in Atlantic Canada there are no screens playing it !! Empire theatres which almost owns the market up here, operates 22 theatres, with locations in most of the major urban areas in Atlantic Canada. However NONE of their screens are showing Cabin Fever. I was wondering if this was a limited release.

Regardless this is truly dissappointing. With all the internet hype and advance word of mouth I was looking for to this movie. Me and the girlfriend had planned to see it tonight for a couple of weeks now.

I sure its not some ignorant smuch at Empire Theatres not bothering to screen the film thinking it can't gross. Alot of their theatres have 12+ screens so surely they can't think garbage like Uptown Girls will outgross a horror film on opening weekend.
Old 09-12-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
According to boxofficemojo, it's opening on 2087 screens today.
Old 09-12-03, 09:02 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Wide release by the looks of it.
Old 09-12-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely a wide release.
Old 09-12-03, 12:00 PM

thanks for the info dudes. I guess this is a case of some jabronie as our theatres deciding Cabin Fever wouldn't be popular enough. Oh well.....hopefully they will bring it in sooner or later.
Old 09-12-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"... jabronie"? What the hell...

Yeah, it's a wide release, but as its Lion's Gate, they don't have the same clout as bigger distributors. So some chains won't play dodgy Lion's Gate titles, since they know they're not going to get leant on.
Old 09-12-03, 06:26 PM

Just saw Cabin Fever

There were some fairly inspired moments, but overall it felt rather disjointed and silly, especially in the last 45 minutes. At a certain point, it was as if they ran out of ideas and just started throwing in random, nonsensical filler material
Spoiler:
the deer through the windshield
. And the characters started doing things that just didn't make sense.
Spoiler:
Why did Rider Strong's character all of a sudden start murdering everyone in sight? And why did those three men go out to kill the kids in the cabin? And what was the deal with the cops?
It just wasn't logical.

I did like its sense of humor. The scenes with the old man in the store were pretty good. And the ending, although entirely pointless, was pretty funny. Also, it had plenty of gore; there were some scenes that were almost hard to watch. Overall I'd say if you are a huge horror fan, go see it. Otherwise, wait for the DVD.

Last edited by caiman; 09-12-03 at 06:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.