Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Producer Says 'Indy 4' Will Not Rely on CGI

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Producer Says 'Indy 4' Will Not Rely on CGI

Old 09-12-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the indiana jones films are the greatest trilogy in the history of trilogys. All you nay-sayers are smokin crack. Harrison Ford has always done a decent amount of his own stunts.. and I think its ads to the film when actors do this. cgi or not, we still have Lucas + Spielberg + Ford + Williams. and that ads up to a GREAT movie.

j
Old 09-12-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Doctorwho
Oh great we get to see indy wearing a ear ring...
I think Harrison Ford has the "removable" type...

Originally posted by Doctorwho
...and riding a bycicle.
Yup... huh huh, where would Indy be without his trusty bicycle! (?!?!)
Old 09-12-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The FX in the prequals are terrible!
No offense Julie, but you don't know what you're talking about. Go tell that to the Academy Awards and the Visual Effects Society.

View the non-SE versions of the original trilogy & you will see superior FX work in at least you do care about the charecters
Yeah right! You're romanticizing about these older films. Who in their right mind would claim the original trilogy has better FX work. Nobody, at least nobody that's knows anything about VFX. The FX in the originals were phenomenal, for their time. They still hold up well today, but poor compositing is prevalent throughout all 3 films and needs to be redone. Faint boxes can be seen around ships where they optically compositied ships into the film. Lightsabers that looks flat out awful by today's standard. Just watch the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in ANH. Taun-Tauns to contrast too much with the background rather than blending in seamlessly. These are all problems with the original trilogy that definitely need to be fixed, and FX flaws do not add charm to the films. Your childhood memory of these films is what adds the charm.

As for caring about characters, you need to understand the difference between that and VFX. VFX and CGI don't have a thing to do with whether you care about the characters. Good character development, good writing, and good acting are what affects whether you care for the characters, not bad or good visual effects. The two aren't related one bit.

The Temple of Doom had some truly bad FX flaws. The compositing during the airplane chase sequence has some of the worst compisiting I've ever seen. So does the cave scene where Indy was running from the waters. Also the guys falling from the bridge towards the end of the film is just flat out terrible. So no, some of the FX in TOD were good, many were terrible. Again, great for their time, but a far cry from today's standards. CGI could have helped in these instances.

Enough for whining about CGI. It's not going anywhere. It's a valuable tool. So deal with it.
Old 09-12-03, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the indiana jones films are the greatest trilogy in the history of trilogys. All you nay-sayers are smokin crack. Harrison Ford has always done a decent amount of his own stunts.. and I think its ads to the film when actors do this. cgi or not, we still have Lucas + Spielberg + Ford + Williams. and that ads up to a GREAT movie.
Agreed!
Old 09-13-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
The FX in the SW prequels may look incredible, but they nonetheless lack the feel of the originals. The cantina scene in ANH never fails to impress and pull me into that world to this day.

I am enjoying the prequels so far, but they still haven't captured as much of the old magic.

As for Indy 4: I'm skeptical unless they really do take Ford's age into account. As for the stunts, I'm all for using CGI to better composite practical FX. Take the Rancor fight in ROTJ. Please. There are some similar composite FX in the Indy trilogy that would probably have looked better being tweaked with CGI (but not now), I'm hoping they take that route with Indy 4.

Just had a thought, a BR sequel taking Ford's age into account.
Old 09-13-03, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to see Indy 4. I love the first 3 movies.
Old 09-16-03, 02:36 AM
Banned

I applaud this man.