Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
it's funny, people worship this woman but bitch and moan to high heaven when John Singleton gets a star on Hollywood blvd for his short career.
And lest we not forget that, in the heat of passion, Mookie tosses a garbage can through a window and Spike Lee is an evil, racist bastard out to destroy everything good and righteous about America.

Leni glorifies Hitler in an overt propaganda film which helps the little fascist bastard placate his countrymen with a nationalistic opiate while he goes about murdering a good chunk of Europe. She buddies around with the little prick until he puts a bullet through his skull and then she spends the next seventy years smugly offering no apologies for her actions despite being let off scott-free.

But it was long time ago, and she was a true innovator...
Old 09-11-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Matt....I agree with you. My point was more to villify Polanski than anything. I wasn't posting an counterpoint to anything said (although the shite totaly looks like it)...I just meant to bring up the subject. My real point is that the work is seperate from everything else....and I say good ridance to Riefenstahl and I would surely beat the crap out of Polanski and would come close to anyone who stood for him (since this was obviously a distinction between the work and the man). Please relpy if you support Polanski and/or his work and don't support Riefenstahl's.
Sorry if my response seemed a little angry! I guess I was a little fired up before. Anyway, I support both of their work as artists, but as people they are both filth.

Well, Polanski is filth. Riefenstahl is just a worm buffet now.
Actually I guess my main argument could be seen as that of 'the Standing O's was for the MAN and completey inapproiate'...but that is wrong and for another thread and I don't think complete encompasses all there is.
Now with that I totally agree. I wanted to hurl violently when I saw that standing ovation. Blegh.
Old 09-11-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
The mentions of Polanski brought this thought to mind... Imagine the shit-storm that's gonna hail down this year with everyone debating whether or not to honour Riefenstahl in the Memorial montage. I'm pretty sure it's going to get intense.
Old 09-11-03, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
It would be an "awesome post" if you knew, or cared, about her life other than what you just read for 5 minutes in the paper. Most of you didn't even KNOW who she was before she died.
I'm very much familiar with her career before and after Olympia and Triumph, and none of it lived up to the promise of her earlier work or contributed to putting her legacy in perspective. When I say "she acomplished nothing, made nothing of value, recieved no distribution, had no audience" I'm saying it well aware of her anthropology period. A bunch of pictures of fish and aboriginals (that no one saw) does not justify her long life after the Reich where she did nothing to remedy her reputation. She had 70 f***ing years (that's an entire lifetime) to do something, yet she did nothing. Briliant films/dispicable kunt
Old 09-11-03, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crocker Jarmen-

That's a very good point
Old 09-12-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Who would say "She will be missed" when she's already been dead for 70 years? It seems more like "She's been missed" would be more appropriate.

Her films Olympia and Triumph of the Will are unquestionably masterfull. The editing and photography, the grandure and the glory. But what happened? She made 2 great films in the '30s and then lived another SEVENTY YEARS (!) where she acomplished nothing, made nothing of value, recieved no distribution, had no audience. She should have just killed herself. Her sad LOOOOONG life is probably the most tragic example of artistic genius squandered to nothing.

Perhaps the world would have forgiven her past if she'd spent the last 70 years doing something to show she had value outside of being the most brilliant propagandist in history.
Originally posted by Pants
I'm very much familiar with her career before and after Olympia and Triumph, and none of it lived up to the promise of her earlier work or contributed to putting her legacy in perspective. When I say "she acomplished nothing, made nothing of value, recieved no distribution, had no audience" I'm saying it well aware of her anthropology period. A bunch of pictures of fish and aboriginals (that no one saw) does not justify her long life after the Reich where she did nothing to remedy her reputation. She had 70 f***ing years (that's an entire lifetime) to do something, yet she did nothing. Briliant films/dispicable kunt
Excuse me, but do some research before you slam someone. The only reason she did “nothing” was because she was BANNED from doing anything (which is why she turned to photography). They feared her talents so much that they censored her! The ban was only lifted in 2002 and that’s when she made her final film “underwater impressions” (footage of pictures she took while diving over the past decades).

I wish Olympia would come out on DVD!! It’s actually out on R2 Germany but it’s probably censored

Anyhow, RIP Leni. Hopefully we’ll get to live somewhere close to as long as she did and get to experience half the things she did in her life. And when we get old may we be half as healthy as she was before she died.

Ref:

http://www.dasblauelicht.net/das_bla..._______the.htm

http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14433

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316016/

This movie was shot over a period of several years and shows the amazing world under water. There's no comment, no plot, just images edited by Leni Riefenstahl and music by Georgio Moroder. Almost every single shot gives a different answer to the question "how can life on earth look like?".

I watched this film on TV, after a very busy day. I felt perfectly relaxed and amazed afterwards.

It's even more amazing that this project was developed by a woman who is almost 100 years old!

There's just one thing I'd like to criticize: The film is too short by just 45 minutes - there were a lot of creatures that I would have liked to watch a little longer.

Apart from this, I rate this one 10 out of 10.

Last edited by Class316; 09-12-03 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-03, 03:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The mentions of Polanski brought this thought to mind... Imagine the shit-storm that's gonna hail down this year with everyone debating whether or not to honour Riefenstahl in the Memorial montage. I'm pretty sure it's going to get intense.
I think she would be recognized by the Academy next year (unless this country is really controlled by Jews). And besides Polanski, Elia Kazan was also awarded an Honorary Oscar just a few years ago.
Old 09-13-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ftsoh
I think she would be recognized by the Academy next year (unless this country is really controlled by Jews).
More like she’ll be demonized
Old 09-14-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
More like she’ll be demonized
Yeah those Nazis... swell bunch of guys. Totally got misrepresented, saddled with a nasty bad rap. Must be the Jews, huh?
Old 09-14-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Yeah those Nazis... swell bunch of guys. Totally got misrepresented, saddled with a nasty bad rap. Must be the Jews, huh?
Well.....former USSR officers murdered hundreds of thousands before and after WWII are living comfortably in Israel (who refused to hand them over when the Eastern European nations wanted to put them on trail for crimes against humanity). Last I checked Leni Riefenstahl never murdered anyone.
Old 09-14-03, 09:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
We all know that Jewish are the last person in the universe that want to recognize her.

I know what the Nazi had done is horrible. However, the Japanese also murdered millions (my grandfather included) in Asia at the same time but they never offer an apology nor compensation. Some Japanese even consider the war criminals as patriotic heroes. Today, movies have to be tone down so that it won't offend Japanese (Pearl Harbor, anyone?). I'd never heard of any movie that have to be changed so that it won't offend Germans.
Old 09-14-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Although a controversial figure I didn't start this thread for people to crap all over Leni Riefenstahl. Since some people don't seem to be able to keep their emotions in check and therefore aren't willing to discuss her work and it's place in movie history, I'm having this thread closed. Feel free to discuss WWII, Nazis and other related topic in the Other forum.
Old 09-14-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Closed by request of author.