Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Der Krieger1979
You must've blinked if you watched every minute then :P.

Spoiler:
If she had not committed suicide, based on what Heath first believed, he would've never became the next sin eater. It was because of his love for her, and the fact that he believed suicide to be a mortal sin, plus the fact his mother had committed suicide, that he wanted to take her sin away so that she might enter heaven. That's a huge justified role if you ask me. If not for her he wouldn't have become the sin eater in the first place.
Didn't warrant her tagging along for no apparent reason, with a backstory that's barely explored. We know he loves her, yeah. But there's no earthly reason why she would be going to Europe with him. She needs to hide? She can do that at home. Is it only Heath that can protect her? Why? And how does
Spoiler:
an attempted murderer
get out of the country so easily anyway?

In a film with far too many unexplained points that needed explanation, Helgeland could have easily written either her or Mark Addy out. Seems to me thost two parts were originally the same character and he split it a few drafts in to create a role.
Old 09-08-03, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Didn't warrant her tagging along for no apparent reason, with a backstory that's barely explored. We know he loves her, yeah. But there's no earthly reason why she would be going to Europe with him. She needs to hide? She can do that at home. Is it only Heath that can protect her? Why? And how does an attempted murderer
get out of the country so easily anyway?"

When I saw the plane leaving I also wondered how she got out of the country so easily. But I dismissed it as a small plot hole. I don't think she tagged along for no apparent reason.

Spoiler:
She only said she needed to hide for an excuse to go with him. She is in love, obsessed actually, with Heath and felt he was in danger and wanted to go with him to help protect him. It was all part of The Sin Eaters plan. He was the one that originally made her go crazy and that allowed Heath and her to meet. If he can make her see Nighting Gales, among other things, it's a logical assumption that he inflicted the feelings in Shannon that made her worry for Heath's safety and therefore go to Rome with him. Although I would've liked her part to be fleshed out a little more, like maybe show their original meetings or have a bad dream about Heath causing her to break out of the asylum (which I bet Benno had a hand in as well), I felt that it could be easily overlooked because the rest of the story was pretty strong. One thing I thought was really neat was that Shannon's 'jelly fish' was small and didn't hurt Heath at all proving she didn't commit suicide to him, while the Cardinal-to-be's looked pretty nasty. And as far as the role his jolly friend played, besides the obvious side kick type role, he left the movie open for a sequel at least :P, he said something like, "Don't worry, I'll find a way, even if it means killing you" near the end. Although I doubt a sequel will come about. One thing that really made me love the movie was the dialogues between Benno and Heath, in the end they really were a lot alike. I loved how Benno actually turned out to be more of an anti-hero instead of having a cheesey good vs. evil showdown with Heath.
Old 09-09-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the idea of the spiritual mystery movie, unfortunately I think Brian Helgeland should have developed more tension....almost all the good of this movie takes place in the second half. It's like the first half is characterization that doesn't really characterize that well.

The movie really starts to shine when the Sin Eater enters the movie.

It's like a quiet version of the Devil's Advocate.