Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unpopular Movie Opinions Part II

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its back. I didnt start the original but I thought I would steal his idea and make part II. What are your unpopular movie opinions? i. e. Boondock Saints is the enemy of all that is good. That movie is the worst thing ever.

Your turn.
Old 09-03-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to lookup part I, that should be an interesting read.

Anyway, I'm sure I have lots of unpopular opinions. One that comes to mind is that Citizen Kane sucked. I bought it sight unseen when it first came out and then I finally watched it about a month ago after unsuccessfully trying to watch it about 3 or 4 previous times. Anyway, that's 2 hours of my life that I wish I could have back. Sure, the cinematography is nice and all, but the story sucked IMHO. I understand the point of the movie, but I just can't see how this is widely regarded as the #1 movie of all time. Maybe I'll listen to Roger Ebert's commentary to get some further insight.

Old 09-03-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's part one.

Old 09-03-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"xXx" had more depth and was more engaging than all the previous Bond films put together.

007, my ass.

Hmmm, deja vu.

Old 09-03-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black Hawk Down tries too hard to be this big patriotic film but ends up a sprawling mess, a waste of many fine performances. Ridley Scott seems to have allowed the second unit to shoot ALL of the film, and the ending is horrible, Hollywood awfulness. It starts out so well, plays well, and then lets down evryone with a faux-patriotic speech from the Australian guy. You know he's australian, because he talks like one. And you know Ewan McGregor isn't American, because... well... he talks like he has something alive in his mouth that keeps biting his tongue.

Another movie with "down" in the title! Igby Goes Down was an overated, underwritten, poorly directed, uninvolving piece of hammered crap trying very, very hard to be a black comedy.

"I laugh, but don't feel like I should be laughing! It must be dark humor!"
"Or, you might not feel like it's okay to laugh because it's awful."

More power to Burr Steers; after all, he can only go up from this boring, wasteful mess. And he had the audacity to use Coldplay's "Don't Panic" over an incredibly forced supposed-to-be-sad montage.

While we're on the subject of Kieran Culkin films that suck, The Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys has so much to work with but it's all squandered. No story or relationship is explored as much as it deserves to be, and then it's all wrapped up in a loose-ends-tied all-too-happy ending.
Spoiler:
"Yeah, my best friend's dead after being MAULED BY A MOUNTAIN LION and you had SEX WITH YOUR BROTHER AT THE AGE OF TWELVE, but hey, it's okay, we're wild and crazy kids!"

Did someone even direct this film? There's one credited, I know. But did he ever show up? "Ah, I don't have to make this film involving or interesting, that's what we have the cartoon bits for".

Barry Lyndon is far too long, and note to Kubrick: just because you CAN use only natural light, does't mean you should. The entire film looks like it's been shot in Stan's back yard; and it's a humid day, apparently, since the lens is always fogged up. Ryan O'Neill's accent is jarring and unbelievable. He can't carry the film.

With the rebirth of Terence Malick's career, came the afterbirth: The Thin Red Line. While Kubrick could have cut half an hour, an hour, out of Barry Lyndon, Malick would have been better cutting out, oh, three hours. Which I believe would give it a running time of twenty hours. At least that's how long it feels.

And, lastly... Star Wars is no better than any other cheesy sci-fi film. It has terrible dialogue. It's enjoyable, but nothing to base your life around.
Old 09-03-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Spider-man is unimaginative.
Old 09-03-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, Spiderman sucked big time. I'm glad I didn't pay a single penny to watch that movie. I'm perplexed by how much money that movie made.

Another summer blockbuster that sucked horribly is Men in Black. I can't comment on the sequel because I never watched it.

Old 09-03-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, I love Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

Old 09-03-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,047 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I agree, Spiderman sucked big time. I'm glad I didn't pay a single penny to watch that movie. I'm perplexed by how much money that movie made.

Another summer blockbuster that sucked horribly is Men in Black. I can't comment on the sequel because I never watched it.

While I was "meh" with Spider-Man, I think the original Men in Black is one of the most fun and quirky flicks in ages. I thought the sequel was the equivelant of monkeys pooping on film, I can't imagine how badly you'd go into shock watching it.

Now, Fargo. How in the hell could the same guys who did the wonderful O Brother also churn out this thing, which commits the most vile cinematic sin: it's boring. At least bad b-movies are somewhat interesting as you try to ponder if radiation really could make ants 10 feet tall, but I cannot watch five minutes of Fargo without falling asleep.
Old 09-03-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom

Now, Fargo. How in the hell could the same guys who did the wonderful O Brother also churn out this thing, which commits the most vile cinematic sin: it's boring. At least bad b-movies are somewhat interesting as you try to ponder if radiation really could make ants 10 feet tall, but I cannot watch five minutes of Fargo without falling asleep.
switch the movies around, and you have my opinion
Old 09-03-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I know it's not an unpopular in general, but around here it is:
I loved Titanic. I thought it did deserve every award it received and I can't wait for the SE, whenever that is.

I hated Office Space. Unfunny. And the lead actor annoyed the hell out of me.

Amelie I thought was a complete let down. I waited for something really interesting to happen, but it never did. Things sort of led to something that never happened. The only parts I really enjoyed were with the child Amelie in the beginning. Then it just went downhill. The longest 2 hours I've ever spent.
Old 09-03-03, 09:55 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casablanca is melodramatic purple prose with one-dimensional characters.
Old 09-03-03, 10:11 PM

I can't stand The Godfather (or The Sopranos, although that's not movies).

Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai both bored me to death.

The Sixth Sense was predictable and boring.

The Matrix just plain sucked.

I hate Fellini.

I love the Thomas Crown Affair remake.
Old 09-03-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lord Of the Rings Films are boring
Old 09-03-03, 10:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Speaking of Men in Black, here's my unpopular opinion: the sequel was a lot of fun.
Old 09-03-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
CADDYSHACK IS NOT FUNNY!
Old 09-03-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by milo bloom
...but I cannot watch five minutes of Fargo without falling asleep.
wow...I thought I was the only one...
Old 09-03-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Natural Born Killers is crap.
Old 09-03-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by the aftermath
Natural Born Killers is crap.
Agreed.

Chasing Amy was a thoughtful involving movie. I put it in my top 5 films of all time.
Old 09-03-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dogma is overrated and gets obnoxious about half-way through the movie.
Old 09-03-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i like the new star wars movies.
Old 09-03-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by futbol

The Sixth Sense was predictable and boring.

Just out of curiosity, how is The Sixth Sense predictable?
Spoiler:
Did you know that Bruce Willis was already dead the first time you saw it?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion--more so because of the topic of this thread--but I don't understand how that movie could be considered "predictable".

Old 09-03-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've only watched one of Kevin Smith's movies--Chasing Amy--and it doesn't live up to the hype.

Old 09-03-03, 11:56 PM

I hate anime.

That was fun.
Old 09-03-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Beauty and the Beast sucks and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with the words "best picture."

My wife and I had this debate last night as I was trashing the Disney animated film and went on a rant for about five minutes straight. I get sick every time someone talks about how it got robbed.

Incidentally, the argument started up as I was watching my new DVD of The Fox and the Hound, which she thinks sucks and I love from my childhood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.