Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Was The Two Towers shot on Super 35 just like The Fellowship Of The Ring?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I was watching the making of "The Long And Short Of It" and saw that Sean Astin was talking about how they got to use the same equipment used to shoot The Lord Of The Rings. As he is doing this he's showing off a brand new HD camera that he borrowed.

It's been stated that The Fellowship Of The Ring was shot entirely in Super 35 and then 70% of the film was scanned and digitally graded and transfered back to film. But that HD camera... Is it possible that Peter Jackson shot the first part of his trillogy on film and then switched to HD as the new cameras became available to him. Comparing the transfer of The Two Towers to that of The Fellowship Of The Ring there's something quite different about them. They both exibit a hazy look but the transfer of TTT doesn't quite say film to me. Of course this could simply be the result of differing telecine transfer processes being used on either film.

So, does anyone know for sure?
Old 08-28-03, 12:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
All three films were shot at the same time, as one very long movie...in non-chronological order.

So, yes...Super-35 the whole way through.
Old 08-28-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand that's how they were produced, Groucho. I'm just suggesting that mid-production they may have switched to Hi-Def. Of course, I'm not stating that as a fact. I'm just making an assumption.

Otherwise, what would be the point of having HD cameras if they were not going to use them?
Old 08-28-03, 12:53 PM

Well, if they switched mid-filming, you'd see the quality go back and forth throughout all three films...it wouldn't suddenly switch in one film. As I said, it was shot non-chronologically.
Old 08-28-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see your point. But if you look at the scene where Isengard is shown for the first time, there are shots that are recycled from the first film and edited together with new footage within Isengard. The new footage has a more glossy look whereas the recycled footage has a more hazy look (moreso than usual for TTT). Just compare the two films back-to-back and you'll see that the second film generally has a glossier look to it (when we first see the Uruk-Hai in the TTT is a clear example of how glossy the second film can look compared to the first).
Old 08-28-03, 01:09 PM

I think what you are seeing is a result of two things:

1. Better post-production due to improved technology

2. Better DVD transfeer (again, improved technology)
Old 08-28-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Super-35. My guess is the HD cameras were used (if anything) for supplemental VFX shooting, perhaps for things like large-scale crowd scenes, etc where they would be digitally inserted into filmed shots in post. You can confirm the Super-35 thing if ( don't do this) you watch the foolscreen pan-and-scam versions. There is slightly more visual info at the top and bottom of the frame, though the tradeoff is not worth it.
Old 08-28-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
I think what you are seeing is a result of two things:

1. Better post-production due to improved technology

2. Better DVD transfeer (again, improved technology)
That's what I figured but I keep thinking back to that High-Def camera. What was it for then? The bigatures?
Old 08-28-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jepthah
All Super-35. My guess is the HD cameras were used (if anything) for supplemental VFX shooting, perhaps for things like large-scale crowd scenes, etc where they would be digitally inserted into filmed shots in post. You can confirm the Super-35 thing if ( don't do this) you watch the foolscreen pan-and-scam versions. There is slightly more visual info at the top and bottom of the frame, though the tradeoff is not worth it.
That seems reasonable. Thanks Groucho and Jepthah.

On a slightly different subject, don't HD cameras shoot everything in anamorphic 1.78:1 and then you have to matte the footage to 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 depending on your intended aspect ratio?
Old 08-28-03, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a high-def camera wasn't used for pick-up shots and such done in the last year.
Old 08-29-03, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1037567845

THE TWO TOWERS will look a lot better in theaters than FELLOWSHIP did. The entire Super-35 to digital grading to final print process entailed some generation loss with the final theatrical print of FELLOWSHIP, giving the film a slightly grainy look that many HTF folk would probably recognise from other Super-35 theatrical releases. Lesnie said they were now using a new procedure for the release of THE TWO TOWERS that enabled them to make a direct transfer to the final print (?) at a particular stage of post, rather than utilising an intermediate transfer as they did with FELLOWSHIP. Essentially, THE TWO TOWERS will appear a generation or more sharper than FELLOWSHIP did in theaters, giving it a cleaner look and one that more accurately represents what they originally shot. Lesnie seemed confident that they had the problem 'licked' and that you'll notice the difference when THE TWO TOWERS finally comes out
Old 09-02-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Hannibal
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1037567845

THE TWO TOWERS will look a lot better in theaters than FELLOWSHIP did. The entire Super-35 to digital grading to final print process entailed some generation loss with the final theatrical print of FELLOWSHIP, giving the film a slightly grainy look that many HTF folk would probably recognise from other Super-35 theatrical releases. Lesnie said they were now using a new procedure for the release of THE TWO TOWERS that enabled them to make a direct transfer to the final print (?) at a particular stage of post, rather than utilising an intermediate transfer as they did with FELLOWSHIP. Essentially, THE TWO TOWERS will appear a generation or more sharper than FELLOWSHIP did in theaters, giving it a cleaner look and one that more accurately represents what they originally shot. Lesnie seemed confident that they had the problem 'licked' and that you'll notice the difference when THE TWO TOWERS finally comes out
Interesting. Whatever was done it worked. Though I'm glad they were able to keep the hazy look where appropriate.

Thanks to Hannibal, Groucho, and Jepthah for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 09-02-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bah, I thought Fellowship looked better. Towers seemed too plastic for me in some scenes.
Old 09-02-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So now we know why there will be a super-release... New super-duper transfers?