Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Johnny Depp has an excellent chance of getting a Best Actor nom

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Johnny Depp has an excellent chance of getting a Best Actor nom

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depp is a God... along with Tarantino. But both of them wont get **** from their movie's when awards season comes in.
Old 09-03-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But.. Tarantino did get **** because of his films....
Old 09-04-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by F For Fake
Depp is the only A-list actor in Hollywood that I really look forward to seeing in things.
Say it loud, say it proud! I haven't missed one of his movies in the theatre since Arizona Dream, which I'm pretty sure didn't play around these parts. I even saw Before Night Falls, eventhough he was only in it for a couple minutes.

Originally posted by JediBadAzz
Depp is a God...
For once, you and I are in total agreement.

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well... maybe his chances are going to go up since he made these comments. worked for moore

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/2452330/detail.html
Or:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...people_depp_dc

Actor Johnny Depp Disavows Anti-American Quotes
Thu Sep 4, 8:42 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Denying any anti-American sentiment on his part, actor Johnny Depp (news) said on Thursday that quotes attributed to him as likening the United States to a "dumb puppy" were inaccurate and taken out of context.

"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," Depp said in a statement released by his Los Angeles-based publicist. "It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Depp, currently starring in the swashbuckling film "Pirates of the Caribbean," issued the statement a day after the German news magazine Stern published an interview in which he ridiculed Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the U.S. war in Iraq (news - web sites).

The magazine quoted the actor as saying "America is ... like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive." He was further quoted as saying he wanted his children to "see America as ... a broken toy" that they should explore, get the feel of, then "get out."

Explaining his comments a day later, Depp he had been using a metaphor that was taken "radically out of context," adding, "There was no anti-American sentiment."

"What I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation," he said. "My deepest apologies to those who were offended, affected, or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent."

His spokeswoman added that the Kentucky-born Depp, 40, lives in the south of France with his family because his wife, actress-singer Vanessa Paradis (news), is French.
OT, yes, Depp deserves some major recognition for his work. Will he get it? Probably not. And he most likely doesn't care. Which is cool. One of the things I like and respect about Johnny is that he has what it takes to be a movie star, yet he seems to have avoided it intentionally. Nothing wrong with being a movie star (except, you know, a lot of stuff), but if I wanted a career in movies, Depp's would be one to aspire to.

He was nominated for Golden Globes for Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon and Ed Wood. One for Pirates Of The Caribbean doesn't seem to0 far-fetched.

Also, Benny & Joon isn't a sinful pleasure for me. I openly admit to loving that friggin' movie.

I also think Russell Crowe is a good actor, but he's no Depp.

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 09-04-03 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-05-03, 01:00 AM

speaking of Depp and Tarantino...

The thought of Depp uttering Tarantino dialog is enough to make me...well...hope they work together some day.
Old 09-05-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are you guys kidding? i think depp is a shoe in, his "puppy dog" and other negative comments about the USA almost guarentee him an award of some kind.

its a shame that real talent and awards have nothing to do with each other these days. I agree he shoulda got the hook up with fear/loathing... but thats how these lame awards work these days. personally, if I was an accomplished actor, Id consider it an honor NOT to win an oscar.

j

Last edited by jekbrown; 09-05-03 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-05-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Love Depp - I think he's great in everything he does (more or less)
Old 09-05-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cornelius1047

Or:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...people_depp_dc
That quote reeked of a poor translation by a German who just wanted reason to criticize the US more than he already has. I don't doubt Depp's story for an instant.