Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

games to movies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
games to movies?

Yes, I know this has been done before but I don't like bringing back old/dead threads. I also wasn't sure if this would go into movie talk or video games but if doesnt suit you admin, you can always move it.

Anyways, I don't mind if games went to movies aslong as they make it decent or better. So far, they haven't hit it on the spot with game to movie transfers but I think thats due to the game itself. The games I would have from game to movie transfers are:

-Mafia (I believe this game is the best suited for a movie transfer) PC
-The Getaway (my second choice to a movie transfer) PS2
-Metal Gear Solid (would be awsome with the right actors and directers and not change anything to the story) PSX

I believe Resident Evil was good a candiate for a movie transfer but they quite didn't follow the 1st RE which IMHO RE1 for PSX is the best RE1 so far. Also, Paul Anderson as directer for RE?, ewww, we all remember his Mortal Kombat movies! but RE actually hasn't turned out that bad and I liked it enough to own on DVD but the factor of that is that I'm a HUGE RE fan.

Enough of my blabbering, what movies would you like to see that would be made out of a game?.
Old 08-25-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From a couple of weeks ago in video game talk: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=310561
Old 08-25-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Paul Anderson only directed the first one, which, in my opinion, was quite entertaining (and did decent in the box office too). The second one blew monkey chunks.

Anyway, i'd like to see one of the Final Fantasy storylines turned into a movie. Metal Gear Solid would be great too. And Splinter Cell. The problem with games that already have voice recordings is that it would be strange to hear the character with a slightly different voice. Oh, and Max Payne or Deus Ex could be neat too
Old 08-26-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as "they" don't try to tweek the story and try to make it appeal to those that don't even care about it, Twisted Metal could be awesome.

Resident Evil was okay but it was too squeaky clean.
Old 08-26-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Grand Theft Auto would be interesting.
Old 08-26-03, 01:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are 3 considerations in adapting a game to a movie:
1. Maintaining the tone of the game
2. Staying true to the plotline/characters of the game
3. Being a good movie, regardless of the game

I think Resident Evil was a good movie, but it didn't "feel" liek the game, and didn't quite stick to the storyline.
Mortal Kombat had the tone down, and was relatively faithful. As a movie it was okay.
Tomb Raider also was fairly faithful to the game's tone, and the storyline was consistent with something Eidos might have done. The movie quality was lacking, however.
And Street Fighter... it missed out on all three counts.

That said, I'd love to see a faithful rendition of Resident Evil Nemesis and Code Veronica. Won't happen, but hey.