Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gibson has "softened" Passion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gibson has "softened" Passion

Old 08-16-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're all out of hand. I also think those that can keep responding with the longest of posts can probably crank out a paper like it's nothing. Am I right?
Old 08-16-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a great post to all of the those criticizing this films accuracy:
I thread on IMDB dealing with much of the films controversy

this a posters response to the controversy surrounding this film. as you can tell by my response to this post i thought it was right on! i hope it hits some people upside the head like it did me...i was looking for things to not like about this movie, until now.
Old 08-16-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I could give a rats ass about Gibson or this flick....but it is not censorship. No one has forced the changes, Gibson is making them voluntarily - which means he's a spineless panderer. Anyone can protest anything they want, but that doesn't make them purveyors of censorship. Now if he finished the film as he wanted it and the studio refused to release it, or allow him to independently, then censorship charges would be appropriate. this, however, is simply a case of a man choosing a firebrand for a film subject, and then going limp once the reaction got a little heavy. No one is forcing him to change anything.....

And if you don't like what Gibson has to say in the film...don't watch it, and then go make your own damned movie....I'm sure Spielburg would be happy to direct a counterpunch - and then we can leave behind the twister, volcano, and meteor twins of past summers and have the summer of Jesus!!
Old 08-16-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
thanks brizz....
Old 08-17-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why should the Jews feel guilty about killing Jesus? Jesus was a Jew. And, besides, the Christians wouldn't have eternal life if Jesus wasn't killed. Too bad some Catholics believe that Jews are to blame.
Old 08-17-03, 06:26 PM
Banned

On Sunday the catholic cable station EWTN they ran a segment interview with the star of the movie , along with scenes and making of shots. I would check again this Sunday at 4:30pm central time, because they said they will be running more on the movie.
Old 08-18-03, 04:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Caliking
i hope it hits some people upside the head like it did me...
I took the bait and read the post, and you're right, it did hit me upside the head!

Now I've got a big fat welt on my head. It f***in hurts. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-18-03, 05:36 PM

What all of this boils down to.

I am trying to understand the issue here and so far, here is what I have come up with. Please read this entire post.

I think the issue boils down to selfishness, and the lack of people taking responcibility for their actions.

Let me explain. Phyiscally, the Romans had Christ put to death, cheered on by the Jewish crowd. The Jewish leaders of the time hated Christ, because he claimed to be the Messiah. The Messiah was everything the Jews should have wanted, but he did not come to Earth as they believed he would. He did not come as a King but as a servant. Because of their personal beliefs, they rejected his teachings and had him murdered.

The fact is though, it didn't matter who physically killed Christ. It wasn't the Jews, It wasn't the Romans, It was every single Human Being that failed at life. Everyone who did not live up to God's standards. It was Me, It was You, It was murderers, theives, criminals. It was Priests, Pastors, Kings, Queens. It was Everyone that has ever sinned in the history of the world. A single race of people didn't kill Christ, the Human Race killed Christ.

Selfishness is what led to the belief that Jews should forever be shunned for Killing Christ. It is because people who say they are Christians don't recognize the true importance of Christ's death. It is also because few are really able to say that they are failures at life, and not willing to give all the thanks to God. People believe they can do things on their own. Humans are proud creatures. We don't want to admit that we need help in life. To turn everything over to God. Some don't want to admit that Christ had to die for us, so they feel fine with blaming the people that had him murdered.

The problem that arises here with Gibson's film is that Jews and weak Christians don't understand the importance of Christ's death. And seing the movie with Jews cheering on for Christ to die will cause some people to recindle this hatred that has seemed to settle down over the recent years. Because of this, Jews are afraid that all Christians will start to hate them. Its all one huge mess, and it's all because we humans are too stupid and proud to realize what really happened on the cross.

Gibson shouldn't have to change his movie. Christians shouldn't see the Jews as being responcible for Christ's death. Jews should not be afraid of Christians who would persecute them.
Old 08-18-03, 05:41 PM

Just another note, my post above is not meant to proclaim that all should be Christians. Just trying to explain the situation from a Christian perspective.
Old 08-25-03, 07:01 PM
Banned

The Passion won't make me anti-Jewish. But all this BS before the movie's even come out has definitely made me anti-Abraham Foxman and anti-Eugene Korn.

Perhaps the ADL would be happy with a "Sum of All Fears" treatment of The Passion, where the bad guys are now neo-Nazis.

Where was the uproar when Bugsy came out, since Siegel and Lansky aren't exactly squeaky-clean images of Jews?

This is almost as bad as gay and lesbian groups protesting/boycotting Basic Instinct on the sole basis that the killer in the movie is bisexual.

Last edited by Face/Off; 08-25-03 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

but... the jews did kill jesus, so why is this even an argument?

We'd probably kill him today too, or at best have him institutionalized. I don't think they did it 'cause they were evil, they did it because he was claiming to be the son of friggin' god, and probably anyone at that time, race or creed, would have done the same thing.
Old 08-25-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the new People Issue theres a 2 page article about the movie and they have a fact list of what he changed in it..
Old 08-25-03, 10:08 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Doc MacGyver
kill him today too, or at best have him institutionalized. I don't think they did it 'cause they were evil, they did it because he was claiming to be the son of friggin' god, and probably anyone at that time, race or creed, would have done the same thing.
There were many people around at the time claiming to be the son of friggin' god. Or at least the annointed leader of the Jews, destined to lead the Jews from under Roman rule. The Jews were a BIT concerned that, if they revolted, the Romans would make a lesson out of them and crush them from the face of the Earth. So they got rid of trouble-makers. Until 70 AD, when they made a little too much trouble, and Rome crushed them off the face of the Earth. So they were right, and, if they wanted to survive as a nation, should have killed MORE trouble-makers.