Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Freddy vs Jason ..(* Official thread* )

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Freddy vs Jason ..(* Official thread* )

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheDude
Ok folks, can I semi-hijack this thread for a little help? With NOES, I feel I'm on pretty good footing as far as which are the good ones, and which ones blow; but what's the consensus on the F13th movies? It's been so long since I've watched one, that I only really remember Jason Takes Manhattan, which blew chunks. So can you folk help me out with which ones are worth the time and which ones are good to avoid? All help appreciated.
My favorite of the series(and a favorite of many) is The Final Chapter(Part 4). TFC has some of the best kills of the entire series, including the gruesome "brain slide".
Jason Lives(Part 6) is my second favorite, as Jason is extremely uber-pissed off in this movie, and has an awesome three-kill scene.
I would say the best movies of the series to watch would be 1, 3, 4, 6, 7. The general consensus is that A New Beginning(Part 5), Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes To Hell(Part 9), and Jason X blow chunks, though I find every single one of them enjoyable on some level.
My favorite Jason actor is Kane Hodder(7-10), followed by CJ Graham(6). Ken Kirzinger did a great job in FvJ.

As for FvJ, I saw it three times opening weekend, and loved it more and more with each viewing. Every showing(two 492 seat theaters) opening weekend sold out(so a friend who works at the theater told me), and she also told me fights were breaking out between people trying to get tickets and arguing over the movie, lol.
I'm going again this Friday night with another group of people.

Last edited by KingSmoth; 08-19-03 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-20-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alright - may I ask a question? To all you recommending 'Friday the 13th: Part III' , when was the last time you watched it? I went ahead and bought it lastnight and while it is the movie that gave Jason his mask, it is also one of the most boring movie's .. They done so many things wrong...
  • The actor who plays Jason is around 5'9 and not all that big weight wise..He is not scarey.
  • His clothes are brand new! He is wearing brand new jeans and other things. It looks like he just got back from JC Penny.
  • He runs..He does not walk. He runs...It irritates me to no end.
  • Not only does he run, but everytime he gets hit / cut he starts moaning like a pansy...
  • The 3D effect sucked.

I'm not being rude. I just don't see how anyone can recommend three. I grew up on the series and I would say three is still my least favorite. That and 'Jason goes to Hell' (9)..

What I don't understand is how people say 'Jason X' sucked. I for one enjoyed it, it was a fresh take on the series and it didn't take itself to serious. I think a lot of people went in expecting a "balls to the wall" horror film (like the previous), but instead 'Jason X' merely poked fun at the series , which for me was a nice refreshing take on it. I remember 'Jason X' came out and so did 'Halloween: Resurrection' and I wasn't in the least thrilled about 'Jason X', but was dyin' to see 'Halloween: Resurrection'...Guess what? I bought both on DVD, watched 'Jason X' and loved it... Watched 'Halloween: Resurrection' and almost threw up...

Back to the subject: I really need to go see Freddy vs Jason again, but I just haven't found time. I've been on a 'Friday the 13th' movie search as of late.
Old 08-20-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My faves from each series:

Friday The 13th: 2,4,6,10,1,3,5,9,7,8

Nightmare: 3,8 (Jason Vs. Freddy),2,4,1,5,7,6

Halloween: 1,4,7,3,2,8,5,6
Old 08-20-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What I don't understand is how people say 'Jason X' sucked. I for one enjoyed it, it was a fresh take on the series and it didn't take itself to serious. I think a lot of people went in expecting a "balls to the wall" horror film (like the previous), but instead 'Jason X' merely poked fun at the series , which for me was a nice refreshing take on it. I remember 'Jason X' came out and so did 'Halloween: Resurrection' and I wasn't in the least thrilled about 'Jason X', but was dyin' to see 'Halloween: Resurrection'...Guess what? I bought both on DVD, watched 'Jason X' and loved it... Watched 'Halloween: Resurrection' and almost threw up...
Well just as many people dislike Jason X you also dislike Friday the 13th Part 3. These are called opinions, and while not everyone agrees with them, you cant rob anyone of their opinion even if you dont understand it.
Old 08-20-03, 05:49 PM

I agree a hundred percent, it just seems odd, that so many people dislike 'Jason X' but like Part 3, or so it seems to me.

Opinions make the world go around.

As for opinion's...What's the general opinion on Ken's "Jason"? Should New Line keep him for the next 'Friday' film or get Hodder back?
I vote for Ken.
Old 08-20-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this shot only in the commercials or was it in the film?

When Freddy hand comes up from the ground and grabs Jason's masks.

Very similar to the last shot of Jason Goes to Hell
Old 08-20-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Jason's Tuft of Hair - I LIKED that. Made his less of a killing machine. Made him more Human.

Also picky dumb....

In that first scene at the Camp that starts the movie and reintroduces us to Jason. The woman takes off her shirt and has an obvious boob job. But boob jobs like that weren't common in early horror flicks.
Old 08-20-03, 08:02 PM

You complaining about a boob job? ?!!??

I still find it odd she was yelling to someone named "Michael" (girl at the dock, start of the movie) and the main character's name was "Laurie".

Btw: Did anyone else notice the "KRGR" TV-Station, that was also in Nightmare on Elm Street 3?.
Old 08-20-03, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Kube
Re: Jason's Tuft of Hair - I LIKED that. Made his less of a killing machine. Made him more Human.
I didn't mind it at all, either. That is, up until the point he was set on fire. After that, yeah, the hair bothered me a bit.

I mean, I can accept an indestructible killing machine in the shape of a man impervious to fire and all else that harms mere mortals, but I cannot accept fire-proof hair.
Old 08-21-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was a fun/cheesy movie. It was cool to see Katherine "Ginger Snaps" Isabelle and the lead actress looked like Britany Murphy.

I was glad the annoying girl finally got "taken care of"...especially after she used the word "F@ggot" ....bitch went down

I would give the film a ***/****
Old 08-21-03, 08:07 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bloody awesome movie!

I didn't mind the bad teen acting as much as most, i think too much Freddy and JAson would have taken away from the impact of the final fight

great T&A, great blood, i agree the editing was a bit off at times

There could have been a tad bit more creativity with the kills but overall not bad
Old 08-21-03, 08:27 PM

BTw has anyone seen the Workprint ?

any differences ?
Old 08-21-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Is it true about an hour was cut from the finished film?

You think the DVD will have a director's cut and a theatrical cut?
Old 08-21-03, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Original Desmond

I didn't mind the bad teen acting as much as most, i think too much Freddy and JAson would have taken away from the impact of the final fight
I am kind of surprised at the griping done about the acting in this movie. I thought the acting was pretty par for the course for this type of show. It's like a lot of people griping about this have missed all of the other movies.

I watched NOES 3 the other day, and the acting on that was noticibly bad, though most say it is one of the best in the series.
still, it was a horror movie, so I hardly found it worth griping about.
Old 08-21-03, 11:53 PM

I love Elm St 3 Dream Warriors, was the first one i saw at the movies, scared **** outta me
Old 08-22-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Elm St 3 Dream Warriors, was the first one i saw at the movies, scared **** outta me
Nightmare on Elm St.
Nightmare on Elm Sts. 3: Dream Warriors &
Wes Craven's New Nightmare...

...are easily the best of the series.

Freddy Vs. Jason, to me, was more of a Nightmare on Elm St. flick with Jason thrown into the mix. Which i was completely happy with, given that i like the Nightmare movies a ton more than the Friday the 13th films.

My only two complaints are... the Destiny's Child chick, and Freddy's use of the word "bitch" (it got waay too repetitive).

-NiCK
Old 08-22-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
...especially after she used the word "F@ggot" ....bitch went down

I forgot about that until you just mentioned it now. I was actually shocked when she said that. I guess films and a lot of people have curbed their usage of that term, so it really stood out. Looks like I'm turning into an old lady, 'Tsk tsk, oh the language in this movie.'
Old 08-22-03, 12:23 AM

I just watched this one for the first time last night, and wasn't too impressed. I think I went in taking it too seriously, because it just seemed really cheesy. And the part at the end where
Spoiler:
Freddy's skeleton begins running around fighting people
was pretty ridiculous. Not only was the effect laughably bad, but it made no sense at all. One problem I have with this series is how they don't stick to any set of rules from film to film. Can Freddy exist in the real world? Or is he restricted to the dream world? Well, the answer to that depends on which movie you watch.

Oh well, it's still a fun and enjoyable series, and I'm glad I bought the box set.
Old 08-22-03, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by caiman
I just watched this one for the first time last night, and wasn't too impressed. I think I went in taking it too seriously, because it just seemed really cheesy. And the part at the end where
Spoiler:
Freddy's skeleton begins running around fighting people
was pretty ridiculous. Not only was the effect laughably bad, but it made no sense at all. One problem I have with this series is how they don't stick to any set of rules from film to film. Can Freddy exist in the real world? Or is he restricted to the dream world? Well, the answer to that depends on which movie you watch.

Oh well, it's still a fun and enjoyable series, and I'm glad I bought the box set.
I was like 10 or 11
Old 08-22-03, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When did Monica Keena get those sweater monkeys? Yowza! I had a crush on her when she was on Undeclared, but Holy Crap!

Didn't really like this movie as much as I hoped I would. I guess that the buildup to the actaul FVJ match was too long, and the ending was a letdown in my opinion.

Last edited by movieking; 08-22-03 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-22-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
In the radio promos they say "3,000 victims later".

Has it been that many between the 2????
Old 08-22-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One problem I have with this series is how they don't stick to any set of rules from film to film. Can Freddy exist in the real world? Or is he restricted to the dream world?
Tell me one set of movies that as big as Nightmare (when I mean big 8 movies and counting) that stick to the 'rules" They are just corny horror and/or comedy movies that don't really care about the rules.
Old 08-22-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monica Keen = fake breasts. Don't you think?

Yeah, that Michael/Laurie name thing was weird. No reason to work in a Halloween reference there. Set up Jason ...not Michael Myers.
Old 08-22-03, 04:11 PM

The "3,000 victims later" - I don't see how it could. It's just more of a hype thing. I would say all together the kill list is around 200 or more.
Old 08-22-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Thought it was great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.