Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Freddy vs Jason ..(* Official thread* )

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Freddy vs Jason ..(* Official thread* )

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was certainly a better F13th film than the others, even though I enjoyed them too.

Freddy's look was neat as they made him more burned/demonic.

If they make another solo F13th film, it must be better than this, cause everything less than this will disappoint. I really liked how they dabbled into Jason's backstory.

Looks like the old ones (Freddy/Jason) can still rock in the new millenium.

Again, a B+.
Old 08-15-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I loved this movie!

Despite the obvious boob job, all of us in the theatre cheered at the first site of gratuitous fan-service style T&A. It was a clear sign for the audience that this movie was made with the intent to please.
Spoiler:
But I was sorry to see Katharine Isabelle bite it (though her death was great) since she's such a babe. But there, sadly, wasn't much to her character.

Since it was already mentioned I wont spoilerize the following. I was delighted to see Kelly Rowland die. It's not just that she was a bad actress (none of these kids will win awards and the girl who was Lori actually topped the bad acting scale with her climactic speech just before the final match) but her character was a pain in the ass. I would have loved to see her evicerated slowly for being so annoying. But I was very happy to see Freddy point behind her when she was questioning his manhood. It was a perfectly sinsiter moment and Englund played the moment with such glee.

As for the ending
Spoiler:
I think Freddy will be after the source of Jason's power as payback for Jason taking all his intended victims. Remember that when Freddy was getting in Jasons' mind he saw Jason dragging bodiesinto a cabin and a creepy marsh with a room filled with what looked like drowning souls. I think the reason Freddy winked at the audience wasn't just to let us know he's still alive but to make it clear that he's glad Jason is taking him with him since he will potentially lead Freddy to the sourceof Jason's seemingly limitless power (even in the Dream World Freddy couldn't kill Jason).

I also think Freddy will get the most kills in the sequel since Jason got the most kills in this movie.

Oh and the fight was a draw. It wasn't Jason who took Freddy's head. It was Lori. And they're both alive so there's obviously no clear victor.

BTW, did everyone else here laugh hysterically when
Spoiler:
Freddy sees Jason in the real world and he has this look on his face like he just messed himself?
I loved that scene!

This movie is on my must buy list!

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-15-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Puddy... are you thirteen?

Originally posted by Dead By Dawn
IWas that the "Ginger Snaps" chick?
Yes indeed. Though I'm sure the shower girl was a double.

Oh, and some of you need to learn the difference between fake breasts and a wonderbra. (Though for God's sake, the skinny-dipper? They might as well have pointed out the surgery scars. The aerial shot in the shower doesn't prove much, though.)
Old 08-15-03, 09:59 PM
Banned

13 nope 20. I guess I'm the only one who thought kelly did a good job. And no I dont like pop music. I was very skeptical about her being in the movie but I thought she did a good job.
Old 08-15-03, 10:38 PM

I saw Freddy Vs. Jason earlier today and I must say it is one of the best ever movies this year. Freddy was acting like his old school self, being a smart ass to everyone. As for Jason, he was, Jason. Killing whomever got into this path.

The kills were sick. Some of them never done before, but don't worry, Jason with his machete was still as brutal as before. Freddy's kills were all unique and done perfectly. I enjoyed all the kills.

The acting was the best ever in a slaughter movie. Although at some parts it was a little too dramatic, but that didn't bother me too much. Robert Englund was brilliant in this movie. He was just as scary as before, with one hell of an attitude. Ken Kirzinger perfectly portrayed the original Jason, and dare I say, almost better. They did not disappointed at all.

The plot was surprisingly good. It wasn't rushed, and it was explained in a clear way. As the movie progressed, we got to get a better feel for the characters, and even Freddy and Jason. Each characters weaknesses were revealed, and each character used that to there advantage. How I could ahead and say some strategy was used by Freddy and Jason, but then again, only Freddy used Jason to Freddy's advantage. Plus, Jason isn't technically an "average" person to use his brains. But he did feel emotion, which really made this movie great.

The music was breathtaking. If it wasn't for the brilliantly music, I would of never gotten scared, which by the way, I did in many spots. This was one of this years best movies that the music just perfectly fit into every moment.

Overall, this was the perfect movie if your a fine of these two faces of evil. The story made perfect sense, although if you haven't seen at least some of the originals, it will be hard to understand some of the small connections.

10/10

-Aren~
Old 08-15-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was my favorite movie of the summer. We were at a packed show in Chicago, down in the south loop, so it was a rowdy crowd ready for a great film. Constant cheering, laughing and screeming..

Seemed like everybody was pulling for Jason during the fights at my theatre, but there were those saying h@ll no freddy, when he was getting tossed around.. That pinball effect was killer..

My fav kill is def the 1st, that just set the stage, and the crowd just erupted during that, and it set the whole tone for the movie.

I sure hope there is another, can't wait to get the dvd of this.. Truely a classic to me..
Old 08-15-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something else...

notice that the soundtrack was score, not rock music. I heard rock music being used in a few scenes, but for the most part, Graeme Revell's score really got the film going. I'm quite surprised - I would have expected a film like this to be soaked in Godsmack and other such pretend-rock. Rock soundtracks tend to date a film faster, too.
Old 08-15-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Man, I can't wait to see what the box office tally turns out to be -- I thought this would be a fun flick to catch at a midnight show, and it sold out...looked like a couple dozen people were turned away.
Old 08-15-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Something else...

notice that the soundtrack was score, not rock music. I heard rock music being used in a few scenes, but for the most part, Graeme Revell's score really got the film going. I'm quite surprised - I would have expected a film like this to be soaked in Godsmack and other such pretend-rock. Rock soundtracks tend to date a film faster, too.
Yes! The exception being Dokken's "Dream Warriors"...
Old 08-15-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved the movie... it totally ****ing rocked and was tailor made to horror fans (lots of blood, T&A and some kick ass one liners)... like many have said, the main problem with the movie is the teenagers.... I didn't care for a single one and just kept waiting for them to die...that and people over explaining the plot... but for what it was meant to be, it sure delivered... Ronny Yu brought new life into the Child's Play series and now he has gone and saved TWO more horror franchises... Ronny, YU da MAN!!!

MATT

I thought the ending was pitch perfect too
Old 08-15-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh man, this movie sucked! am i the only one who didnt like it? i wanted more freddy vs jason (the last scene was the only good one), instead i got lame kids trying to act. ugh!

there were a few ok scenes but until then end i was falling asleep. i liked the stoner kid, he was helarious, but other than that...nothing.

jason was FAAAAAAAAAAAR better than freddy. jason was so bad ass. i LOVE when he just tilts his head when looking at something.

however, the people at my theater were STRICT on letting kids in. they checked everyone and every check point. lots of kids though at my showing anyways.

but is there going to be a rematch? i always heard the guy who does freddy said this was his last time.
Old 08-15-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh i give this 3/10.
Old 08-16-03, 01:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed it, but it would've had to be really disappointing for me not to. I didn't really mind the teenagers, as they were less annoying than the usual. Kelly Rowlands... she wasn't as intrusive as I'd feared. Her sassy scene actually had a purpose, unlike Busta Rhymes' "I'm such a badass" crap in Halloween Resurrection.

Freddy was a bit too chatty for my tastes. I loved the backstory stuff... I would love to see a Nightmare prequel with the human Freddy. Englund was at his best in those scenes. I liked the imagery in the nightmare sequences, but I think they would've been more effective in a different story setup, or a straight up Nightmare movie.

And the Friday stuff... was just great. It shows a glimmer of what it would be like if someone put a decent budget and a real director behind a Friday film. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies, but the direction usually lacks inspiration. And Jason X had a decent budget, but most of that was eaten up with the space/sci fi effects.

I hope if this film does well New Line will decide to give a fresh jump start to both franchises. And no 'Snoop vs Jason' crap or anything like that. Just give fresh but proven directors a chance at each franchise. Maybe even do a rebirth a la Texas Chainsaw Massacre, starting fresh at the beginning. (I know remakes suck, but after so many sequels it's sort of a moot point). I'm sure they'll just end up doing more crossover movies instead, which is better than nothing. As long as they don't scrape the bottom of the barrel (no Leprechaun, please...).
Old 08-16-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a huge horror buff, but I must say it was pretty enjoyable. The laughs were plentiful, and I think this is one movie where a larger audience only adds to the atmosphere. Had I watched this by myself, I really don't think I would have liked it half as much.

That being said, damn does Kelly Rowland suck.
Old 08-16-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movie was great. Monica Keena (Lori) is super hot as well. Yes, her boobs are real. They defy gravity though The only thing I was disapointed in was nudity from Monica Keena.
Old 08-16-03, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Dead By Dawn
OH, and the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" trailer. Can't effing wait.
Not to hijack the thread, but to make an aside:

Am I the only one who wish this remake didn't exist? It looked so overdone and shined up. The point of the original is that it's so gritty and almost amateurish that it feels more like a documentary than a movie. Some of the shots in the trailer screamed "Hey, look at my supposed cinematic style!" It was bad. Real bad. I don't know why people are so happy to see this. Just re-release the original in theaters.
Old 08-16-03, 03:15 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by atari2600
oh man, this movie sucked! am i the only one who didnt like it? i wanted more freddy vs jason (the last scene was the only good one), instead i got lame kids trying to act. ugh!
So I take it then that you've never seen the other 10 Friday the 13th movies? That was some stelar acting in those filme, let me tell you.

but is there going to be a rematch? i always heard the guy who does freddy said this was his last time.
Naw - Robert loved the idea, and has been talking about a Freddy prequal, where he gets the torch from the angry parents.
Old 08-16-03, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was some stelar acting in those filme, let me tell you.
That's surprising. I've been reading the reviews to decide on whether I want to see this movie, which is something I rarely do, and critics are pasting the acting as horrible, even for a slasher film. The word stellar might be pushing it though.
Old 08-16-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sold out showing and the theater I was at had some major audience participation that really enhanced the fun. Felt like an opening night screening of a new Star Wars film.
I've been watching quite a few of the previous installments from both series and, especially compared to the Friday the 13th flicks, the acting was just fine in this one. I thought many of the small roles of the various stoner teens had great comic timing. And the Jay character- did Kevin Smith endorse it?
Old 08-16-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by filmerp
Sold out showing and the theater I was at had some major audience participation that really enhanced the fun. Felt like an opening night screening of a new Star Wars film.
I plan on seeing FVJ tomrrow and I can totally relate to what you're saying because I actually had a similar crowd reaction when I went to see Jason goes to Hell. LOTS of fun!

I live in a new location now and I aint expecting the same results for tomorrow night's showing, but I'll never forget that wild night at the dollar theater in '93!
Old 08-16-03, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Suprmallet
It looked so overdone and shined up. The point of the original is that it's so gritty and almost amateurish that it feels more like a documentary than a movie. Some of the shots in the trailer screamed "Hey, look at my supposed cinematic style!"
Two words: Michael. Bay.

[Though, in fairness, it's only a Michael Bay production.]

Still, I like the idea of Jessica Biel running around in tight jeans & a wifebeater...
Old 08-16-03, 06:42 AM

What did the stoner kid say? Something like:

"Man, that goalie was pissed off "

I think that got the biggest laugh of the movie.

I also think they should just start over with the F13 movies. Just do one at the lake with a decent budget. Jason was great in this movie. The film had a nice look to it. No, "look at this no-budget spaceship crap."
Old 08-16-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was quite surprised at how much i liked it. While i agree that Kelly Rowland sucked much more than a lot of the other actors(I swear i'm going to start a coalition against musicians acting, don't get me wrong there are exceptions to this rule). i only wish it was longer and a little more back story on Freddy and Jason.
Old 08-16-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought it was terrible. It wasn't as bad as Legally Blonde 2 or American Wedding (which are my picks so far for the two worst films of the year), but it wasn't very good. It's not like I was expecting too much, but the film just failed to deliver. Englund is a terrible actor and as much as I dug the Nightmare series, I thought they got progressively worse... the more Robert would ham it up, the worse it got. The Friday series got worse as it progressed as well. This is a blown opportunity as far as I can tell. Glad people are enjoying it though... looks like there will probably be another one. I wish they'd just take out the campy goofy comedy in these films and put in more realism and creepiness. Otherwise, why not just cast Jim Carey as Freddy and Abe Vigoda as Jason.
Old 08-16-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best movie I've seen this year. I saw it twice yesterday, I'll see it Sunday with more people, and probably a few more times before it hits DVD.
All 6 showings after 9pm were sold out last night(492 seats each theater), don't know about earlier showings. The audience was absolutely insane and loved it, easily the best movie-going experience I've ever had.
I was really disappointed when Kane Hodder was dropped from the movie, but I thought Kirzinger was great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.