Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

john williams.. best ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

john williams.. best ever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rule of thumb here at DVDtalk is never say someone American or widley known is the best at something because you get the obligatory "No way! Yustafev Gustannavich could kick his ass any day" post. (No smiley can save me from flaming but i thought id try it anyways.)
Old 08-13-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rank John Williams in my top three of all time. The other two being Bernard Hermann and Ennio Morricone.
Old 08-13-03, 01:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
my top five favourite composers:

1) Ennio Morricone
2) Vangelis
3) Jerry Goldsmith
4) Basil Poledouris
5) Ryuichi Sakamoto

Honourable mention goes to Peter Gabriel's score to "The Last Temptation of Christ"
Old 08-13-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vangelis is the man. I can't believe his music for Blade Runner. It's off the ****ing hook!
Old 08-13-03, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think John Williams is comparable to Steven Spielberg. They have made some of the most memorable works of all time, but there are many that aren't fans of them because of their usual formula. But yes, I consider John Williams #1 because of his impact on our culture. Same with Spielberg. And yes, many will disagree. Although I do feel John Williams has been a bit under performing as of late, except with Catch Me If You Can. I thought that one was a very different change of pace and I liked it. And I thought the Harry Potter theme is pretty catchy.
Old 08-13-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
The rule of thumb here at DVDtalk is never say someone American or widley known is the best at something because you get the obligatory "No way! Yustafev Gustannavich could kick his ass any day" post. (No smiley can save me from flaming but i thought id try it anyways.)

So true , so true
Old 08-13-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put Goldsmith, Poledouris, and Morricone before Williams.
Old 08-13-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
John Barry, he did most of the James Bond scores.
Dances with Wolves
Old 08-13-03, 08:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Williams is good for those instantly recognizable, big, swelling Wagner-ripoff themes, but I wouldn't call him the best composer for film. Not by a longshot.

First and foremost is Herrmann.
Then Mancini.
Then Rota.
Then Morricone.

After that I jump around a bit. I like Jerry Goldsmith a lot, and John Barry too.

Williams would probably make my top 10 though.
Old 08-13-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Dances with Wolves
AND Somewhere in Time, my all-time favorite sappy romance film.
Old 08-13-03, 10:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mainstream + Popular = Crap
Old 08-13-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Old 08-13-03, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by wendersfan
No

I would take Nino Rota, Bernard Hermann, Ennio Morricone, Michel LeGrand, or even Ry Cooder over him.
Yes, but how many of these are household names? Even the casual movie viewer recognizes the name John Williams. So while it's arguable that Williams is the best (I happen to believe that he is), there's little doubt that he's considered the best by the majority of the population.
Old 08-13-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Deckard-10
&nbsp Agreed. &nbsp The soundtrack to The Russia House is incredible.
100 years from now, orchestras will still be playing Williams' work. Russia House's soundtrack will be a distant, distant memory.
Old 08-13-03, 10:54 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Re: Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by Spooky
Yes, but how many of these are household names? Even the casual movie viewer recognizes the name John Williams. So while it's arguable that Williams is the best (I happen to believe that he is), there's little doubt that he's considered the best by the majority of the population.
That's like saying that Justin Timberlake is a better singer than Bryn Terfel because Timberlake is a "household name" and Terfel isn't. In other words, and I say this with all due respect, your argument is full of it.
Old 08-13-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by wendersfan
That's like saying that Justin Timberlake is a better singer than Bryn Terfel because Timberlake is a "household name" and Terfel isn't. In other words, and I say this with all due respect, your argument is full of it.
Bad analogy. I'm not even gonna explain why.
Old 08-13-03, 11:42 AM

You gotta love these "100 years from now" arguments. People are always so confident that whatever's popular now will be remembered in ages to come.

That's very rarely true. And if you don't believe me, well, try to name the most beloved composer of popular symphonic music ... in 1903.
Old 08-13-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The question asked if John Williams is the best, not the most popular. I would definitely say Williams is the most popular, and if you walk down the street whistling Star Wars or Indiana Jones, people will recognize it. But that doesn't make him the "best" film composer.
Old 08-13-03, 12:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: john williams.. best ever?

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Bad analogy. I'm not even gonna explain why.
Probably for the best, actually.

My bad, I guess John Grisham and Tom Clancy are the world's greatest novelists, too...
Old 08-13-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Stoolie
The question asked if John Williams is the best, not the most popular. I would definitely say Williams is the most popular, and if you walk down the street whistling Star Wars or Indiana Jones, people will recognize it. But that doesn't make him the "best" film composer.
well one of the reasons people will recognize the tune you are whistling could be because the music made such an impact on them when they saw the film...not merely that the movie was "popular"... there are lots of movies that I absolutely love, that I couldnt hum a single note of the music too.

I agree with many of you guys that JW hasnt done much recently, but IMO his career from Jaws to the Patriot solidifies his quality. Lots of classical composers are the same way.. either their early work or their late work is considered virtuoso and the rest of their stuff is politely forgotten/dismissed. I just can't think of a composer who can have such a powerful impact on the feeling of a film. I mean jaws? superman? come on! the music did soooooo much for those movies.

j
Old 08-13-03, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nino Rota, Bernard Hermann, Ennio Morricone, Michel LeGrand, or Ry Cooder
Yes, but how many of these are household names? Even the casual movie viewer recognizes the name John Williams.
How many are household names? I'd say 3 of them.

Nino Rota: famous for his music to the Godfather, everybody knows that theme

Bernared Hermann: From Citizen Kane to Taxi Driver this guy worked with everybody. His score for Psyco is easily the most well known film music ever

Ennio Morricone: all those Eastwood westerns. People know his Good, Bad, Ugly theme by heart even if they haven't seen the movie

These people are definately household names (at least in households that also know of John Williams)
Old 08-13-03, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Stoolie
I didn't say he was the best, I only said that the majority of the population would consider him "the best". And - as I pointed out - I also happen to believe he is "the best".

Plus, if you ask the average person who wrote the score for Star Wars or Indiana Jones, they automatically know it's John Williams. You ask the same question about The Godfather or Rocky, and most non movie buffs will be scratching their heads.

The argument about who is "the best" is one that can never be determined. But the arguement about who is considered the best can be...and right now, it's Mr. John Williams.
Old 08-13-03, 03:08 PM

I didn't say he was the best, I only said that the majority of the population would consider him "the best".
I see. So your problem is that my response to one question is not the same as your response to a completely different question...

(And a question that is not the topic of this thread, I might add)
Old 08-13-03, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The argument about who is "the best" is one that can never be determined. But the arguement about who is considered the best can be...and right now, it's Mr. John Williams.
I still don't follow that. What's the difference in "who is the best" and "who is considered the best"? Right now, in my household, Bernard Herrmann is the best. "The Best" will always be a matter of opinion, and expanding the topic to mean "who is considered the best by the largest amount of movie watchers in the world and not just movie geeks" won't change the fact that "the best" is STILL going to be an OPINION, whether it's held by a majority or a minority of people.

If the argument about who is "the best" can never be determined (because it is opinion based) then it would also hold that the "arguement about who is considered the best" can't be determined either. It's all opinion. In your opinion, and MAYBE in the opinion of a majority of moviegoers, John Williams is 'the best'. I can't possibly argue that your opinion is wrong. Just like you couldn't possibly argue that "John Williams is considered the best" with any sort of tangible evidence.

And to the people who seem to think that Herrmann, Mancini and Rota are some sort of film snob choices: WTF? Citizen Kane, Psycho, The Godfather and THE PINK PANTHER aren't exactly obscure themes or films.
Old 08-13-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plus, if you ask the average person who wrote the score for Star Wars or Indiana Jones, they automatically know it's John Williams. You ask the same question about The Godfather or Rocky, and most non movie buffs will be scratching their heads.
Let’s assume that your assertion is correct (though I personally doubt the majority of “average” people, i.e. a non film buff, would respond with the correct answer). Still, all that suggests is that he has name recognition. I suspect more people know who Arthur Fiedler is than know the names Herbert von Karajan or Leopold Stokowski, but does this familiarity make Fielder a “better” conductor?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.