Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First R-rated movie you saw as a kid

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First R-rated movie you saw as a kid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it was Alien, which seems to be a pretty popular choice here. I was about 5 or 6 years old. I remember sneaking to watch it on HBO...scared the living crap out of me.
Old 08-14-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't even remember. My mother was an avid movie goer, and even more avid about her horror movie's. I grew up, from such a small age, watching horror movies, that I don't remember the first one .. The only thing my mother did not approve of was nudity at a young age - so she made me cover me eyes when ever there was a nude female in the movie. Of course, I always peeked - so I don't even remember the first breast I saw in a movie.
Old 08-14-03, 03:27 PM

oh, darn, I see now that the first R-rated movie I saw was Silent Night, Evil Night (1974).....when I was 12......wow.....I wonder if that movie would still scare me now...
Old 08-14-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Altered States
Old 08-16-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
I'm not entirely sure but I think it was Private Benjamin.
Old 08-16-03, 11:12 AM

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud

My brother, who was 12, read the book and convinced my dad to take us to go see it at the theatre. My father was stationed at Carswell AFB in Ft Worth and was good friends with the Chaplain (Minister) of the base and decided to invite him along at the last minute. As both the chaplain and my father were pretty well known on the base, alot of people came up and said hello and then kind of looked at my brother and I (I was 11 at the time). Then the movie started and then it was sex and nudity as far as the eye could see. I heard my father and the chaplain start talking, almost arguing, and all of a sudden we were out of there.

I'm not exactly sure what happened that night but I do know this:

1) My dad yelled at my brother the whole way home.
2) My dad's frinedship with the chaplain never was the same
3) We actually started going to a new church
4) Dad never took us to another R rated movie
5) The chaplain got transferred about 2 months later
6) My eyes were stuck open for the next day or two...
Old 08-16-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Risky Business.

Ohhh that subway scene
Old 08-17-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
In the theaters? Animal House, no doubt. I was 7. There were boobies. Got some nifty Batman action figures from Sears afterwards. Went to Beefsteak Charlies for dinner. What a great day!
Old 08-17-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first "R" film I saw was also Robocop on my father's old betamax player. The box of that film scared the crap out of me as a kid!

The first "R" film I saw at a movie theatre was "Robocop 2" while I was on vacation in Florida! I had to see the sequel there b/c it was not playing anywhere near me in PA!
Old 08-17-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Of course, I always peeked - so I don't even remember the first breast I saw in a movie.
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Old 08-17-03, 07:29 PM

I Remember vividly I saw Terminator 2 Judgement Day
Old 08-17-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about the first time you saw a R rated movie without a parent or gardian. Tomorrow, Freddy vs. Jason, even though I've had my licence for about 6 or 7 months now, there hasn't been a R rated movie that I've wanted to see that my parents wouldn't want to see.
Old 08-17-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
The first R-rated movie I recall seeing on television was "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I was 8 years old at the time, and even though it was edited for television it still left a lasting impression and started my love for horror movies.

The first "R" on home video I remember seeing was "The Terminator". I was over at a friends house and remember his mother telling us to cover our eyes during the infamous "eye" scene.

And finally, the first "R" film I saw in theaters was "Total Recall" back in 1990. The alien hooker with 3 boobs was definitely a memorable moment.
Old 08-19-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
It was Silence of the Lambs. We were in Miami for an Amway convention and my parents hired a baby sitter. Not a very good one apparently since I was what, 9 or 10 and my sister was four, but I don't think she really watched it.

I also watched a Friday the 13th movie when I was young. It was the one in the camp where the guy
Spoiler:
in the wheelchair
gets an ax in the head.
Old 08-25-03, 08:44 AM

I'm not sure it was the first adult-rated film that I saw, but in 1973, when I was 16, I saw "The Harrad Experiment" which was the first time I had seen nudity on the screen. And with its full-frontal nudity and thematic sex it was such a quantum leap over anything I'd seen before that it left a lasting impression.. Thankfully I was able to find a DVD with the UNCUT version of the film..the one that I remember. Nearly all DVD's just have the severely edited TV version of this PD title.
Old 08-25-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Nightmare On Elm Street when I was 5 - my cousin, two months younger than myself, took it from his parents collection and brought it to my grandparents house, where we watched it in the basement; they thought we were watching Star Wars. They came to check on us as the movie was ending, and completely freaked out when they saw Freddy on screen.
The second R movie I saw was Friday the 13th Part 3 when I was 6.
Surprisingly, neither one scared the ***** out of me - rather, I became hooked on Jason from that point on, and I'm still a huge fan 16 years later. I never was a Freddy fan, but after seeing FvJ four times, I had to go back and re-watch the entire ANOES series this week.
Old 08-25-03, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

There are two of them: The Exorcist, but I really didn't watch it; I was 11 years old and had my hands in front of my eyes throughout the movie.

The first one I saw all the way through was Thunderbolt & Lihgtfoot (Eastwood, Bridges, George Kennedy). Gt trated to my first glimpse of boobs. BIG boobs.
Old 08-25-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents let me see non sexual nudity since I was very young... but I can't recall the first violent R rated film I saw.