Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So gigli bombed at the box office (no duh!) ... (fridays estimates)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So gigli bombed at the box office (no duh!) ... (fridays estimates)

Old 08-06-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
There was a little film back in 1977 that was trashed by the critics too. It was called Star Wars.
Other films trashed by critics; Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, Schindler's List, Gone With the Wind...whoops...I have to get back to earth....

Last edited by Jaymole; 08-06-03 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-06-03, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really listen to critics but I'm going to wait and rent Gigli. The story sounds more interesting than it is getting credit for. I like Ben Affleck and most of the movies he's been in. I still can't stand Jennifer Lopez though. She has had her moments--The Cell and her role as Selena--but I'm just not a fan of her acting. If she wasn't in this movie it wouldn't have been dogged so much... too bad. I'll still give it a rent though.
Old 08-06-03, 01:00 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Schindler's List were universally praised by critics and people who saw them. And, to add more flames to the fire, it appears that Bennifer is officially over.
Old 08-06-03, 01:26 PM

O.K. O.K. I screwed up with the Star Wars referencebut my point remains the same. There have been movies in the past that critics hated and the masses loved. Lets take Gigli out of the equation for a moment. What drives me nuts is people bashing something they haven't seen. Gigli just happens to be the latest victim. Personally I don't give a care what critics have to say. Why is their opinion more valid than mine? If I like a movie and a "critic" doesn't does that mean I'm wrong?
Old 08-06-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, many critics hated Zeppelin when they got started, and now they're consitered one of the all time great bands.
Old 08-06-03, 01:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Indy Jones Fan
There have been movies in the past that critics hated and the masses loved.
Name three.
Old 08-06-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Name three.
The original reviews of Titanic were very mediocre.
Old 08-06-03, 02:39 PM

Titanic is 88% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Reviews were quite good when it was released. Word of mouth was good as well, but when the film became enormously popular the backlash began.

While it was indeed "loved" by the masses, it was not "hated" by critics and thus does not qualify.
Old 08-06-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Fight Club count?
Old 08-06-03, 02:49 PM

Fight Club is 81% Fresh. I wouldn't consider it "loved by the masses", rather more a cult classic. It was a box office disappointment, and you are just as likely to find somebody who hates it as you are somebody who loves it.
Old 08-06-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
The original reviews of Titanic were very mediocre.
No they weren't.

I love how this erroneous statement continually gets paraded around as "fact" when it is in reality completely untrue.
Old 08-06-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Name three.
I suppose it depends on how you define "loved by the masses" and "hated by the critics", but here are a few examples of movies from recent memory that were clearly not praised by critics, but had very healthy box office returns:

Armageddon: tomatometer-43%, box office-$201,578,182
The Mummy Returns: t-meter-47%, b.o.-$202,019,785
Anger Management: t-meter-42%, b.o.-$135,481,410
Men in Black II: t-meter-39%, b.o.-$190,418,803
Pearl Harbor: t-meter-24%, b.o.-$198,542,554

I could go on (and on and on and on), but the point is that "the critics" don't always agree with popular opinion. In fact, it has been my experience that, more often then not, if a majority of critics dislike a movie, a majority of "the masses" will like it.
Old 08-06-03, 03:12 PM

Good examples, RoboDad, but none of those films were ravaged by critics like Gigli was (currently 7% Rotten). I would put them in the "disliked by critics, liked by the masses" category...which is quite common, as you say, but isn't the same thing Indy Jones Fan was talking about.
Old 08-06-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Jennifer Lopez is a fairly talented actress who has distinguished herself in such eclectic films as "U-Turn", "Out of Sight", and "Blood and Wine". Her anchoring performance in the rather wretched "The Cell" is arguably the only *good* thing about the film.

J-Lo is a somewhat mediocre pop-culture phenom who has churned out such singularly unimpressive performances as those in "Maid In Manhattan", "The Wedding Planner", "Enough", "Angel Eyes", and, presumably from the reviews (as I have not seen it), "Gigli".
Old 08-06-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, much depends on how one chooses to define “popular” or hated by the critics. Using box office $ as the criteria for popular and Rotten Tomatoes Cream of the Crop as the standard for pro/negative reviews, then titles like Bad Boys II, Shallow Hal, Phantom Menace, Fast and Furious, XXX and the like would fall under the general umbrella of critical flops, popular flicks.
Old 08-06-03, 03:24 PM

Another point...high box office doesn't necessarily mean everybody who saw the film liked it. It just means the marketing/brand name/star/whatever was enough to get them to cough up the bucks to see it in a theater. I haven't LOVED every movie I've seen...have YOU?
Old 08-06-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fight Club is 81% Fresh. I wouldn't consider it "loved by the masses", rather more a cult classic. It was a box office disappointment, and you are just as likely to find somebody who hates it as you are somebody who loves it.
Ah.. I was just remember all the bad quotes from the DVD case..
Old 08-06-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Titanic is 88% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Reviews were quite good when it was released. Word of mouth was good as well, but when the film became enormously popular the backlash began.

While it was indeed "loved" by the masses, it was not "hated" by critics and thus does not qualify.
Titanic was dogged by the critics and they were all saying how it was going to bomb in the theater.

Star Wars and Ghosts were two more that was hated by the critics but the world loved the movies.

When I was leaving the theater after seeing Ghosts, I thought what were the critics talking about? After the movie started to get great word of mouth, all the critics changed there tune and started praising the movie.
Old 08-06-03, 05:58 PM

I could go on (and on and on and on), but the point is that "the critics" don't always agree with popular opinion. In fact, it has been my experience that, more often then not, if a majority of critics dislike a movie, a majority of "the masses" will like it.
That has been my take on things as well.
Another point...high box office doesn't necessarily mean everybody who saw the film liked it.
This may be true but how else can the popularity of a movie be judged? I can't talk to everyone who has seen a movie to find out if they liked it or not but I can gauge the box office take as a sign of popularity. If word of mouth isn't good (as in people like it) then it's not likely for a film to continue to make money. Groucho, you have me at a disadvantage because as I said earlier I don't pay a bit of attention to movie critics. I don't keep a running count on what critics have to say about a movie I'm interested in. You seem to keep refering to rottentomatos as a standard of whether a film is "good" or not. I don't hold the reviewers opinions at rottentomatos any higher than I do my next door neighbor. I'll be my own reviewer, and you should too, and in the end that's all that matters.

Last edited by Indy Jones Fan; 08-06-03 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
but in any case.. Maybe he just meant couples working together is a kiss of death in one way or another.. I mean the films might have worked.. but atleast it was a kiss of death for the relationships.

That's what I meant, thanks.
Old 08-06-03, 07:28 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Jennifer Lopez is a fairly talented actress who has distinguished herself in such eclectic films as "U-Turn", "Out of Sight", and "Blood and Wine". Her anchoring performance in the rather wretched "The Cell" is arguably the only *good* thing about the film.

J-Lo is a somewhat mediocre pop-culture phenom who has churned out such singularly unimpressive performances as those in "Maid In Manhattan", "The Wedding Planner", "Enough", "Angel Eyes", and, presumably from the reviews (as I have not seen it), "Gigli".
She sucks. She can't sing and can't act. It's all in the marketing.
Old 08-06-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apocolypse Now
Blade Runner
Weezer - Pinkerton
Old 08-06-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Indy Jones Fan
You seem to keep refering to rottentomatos as a standard of whether a film is "good" or not.
No, he's using rotten tomatos to bring facts into the argument of what movies are hated by critics and loved by the masses. None of his points have had anything to do with whether the movie is actually good.
Old 08-06-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gigli has a 1.4/10 on imdb making it #1 on the bottom 100.

A local radio personality is suing Sony for $16.00; the price of two tickets.
Old 08-07-03, 01:05 AM
Banned

1983's SCARFACE was a box-office dissapoinment and had bad reviews. And well now everybody loves the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.