Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you know what A FILM BY means?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you know what A FILM BY credit means?
The person produced the film.
6.03%
The person wrote the film.
0%
The person directed the film.
47.41%
The person directed and wrote the film.
7.76%
The person produced, wrote & directed the film.
4.31%
It means nothing.
9.48%
Depends on the film.
23.28%
Haven't a clue.
1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the posters, film credits, and even on the DVD covers some say A FILM BY but do you know what that means?

I'd love to get a quick informal poll.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by TheV; 08-02-03 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-01-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It varies ... I think it requires a combination of at least two of the following - writer, director, producer, star.
Old 08-01-03, 06:11 PM

Both writers and directors have tried to gain exclusive control at one point or another, but I believe it means nothing except "I have clout with the studio."
Old 08-01-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's always the director that has the Film By credit. Offhand I can't really think of anyone else having that credit. (Although I think on some independant films it's included other people. I think on SMOKE it said a film by Wayne Wang (director) and Paul Auster (the writer).

For the most part, it really dosen't mean anything to me, other than being a pretty egomanical credit. I don't think the auther theory applies to everyone. But I don't mind it when it's a director who's established a certain amount of style or talent (like say Spike Lee, or Martin Scorcesses.)

It's way over used IMHO. I think there should be some sort of standard, like the way certain Cinematopgraphers are credited ASC or editors ACE (I always loved the way that looked), and the certified directors can have the Film By Credit.
Old 08-01-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I understand it, it is generally synonymous with "An Insert Director's Name Film" (e.g., "A Ron Howard Film", or "A Film by Ron Howard"). However, it can mean more than that. So, I suppose the correct vote is that it is at least "the person directed the film."
Old 08-01-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Jerry Bruckheimer does not direct.

Old 08-01-03, 07:34 PM

Adam Sandler's.... EIGHT CRAZY NIGHTS!!!

It can be done for anything.
Old 08-01-03, 08:10 PM
mwj

I would have guessed wrong. I thought only directors received A FILM BY ... credits.
Old 08-01-03, 08:31 PM
Banned

It Means Nothing. Its a marketing ploy to sell more tickets!
Old 08-01-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought it was the person who directed it. But it could also mean something else too.
Old 08-01-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Though the opening credits of BABE state "A Kennedy Miller Film", later in the credits it states "Directed By Chris Noonan". Weird thing is Kennedy Miller isn't even credited as co-director or producer but it still says "A Kennedy Miller Film".

I've also seen (very rarely) the credit to go to producers or even the owners of a production company but I can't remember any examples off the top of my head.

Usually the credit goes to the director(s), though.
Old 08-01-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There may be some exceptions, but virtually every time this type of credit is used, it's for the director, even if the film is part of a series that sells itself, or has been made by a high-profile producer. For example, the Star Trek franchise goes with A Leonard Nimoy Film for IV amd Pearl Harbor is A Michael Bay Film.
Old 08-01-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
"Kennedy Miller" is George Miller's production company. Byron Kennedy, now deceased, was his collaborator and production partner.
Old 08-01-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Originally posted by William Fuld
"Kennedy Miller" is George Miller's production company. Byron Kennedy, now deceased, was his collaborator and production partner.
Okay, thanks. I was wondering about that.
Old 08-02-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
Jerry Bruckheimer does not direct.

But it doesn't not say a "A Film By Jerry Bruckheimer". They are different credits. Not far removed from "David O. Selznick presents..." He wasn't directing, but that was still the credit.

And I forget what director pointed it out, but it was a quite brillant lambasting of the "A film by..." credit, considering your average American film has 100 person crews or more, and the fact that the smaller the crew is, the harder they work and the more involved they are, and for a director to take that credit is really a slap in the face to them. I"m not advocating the guy who drives the Honeywagon is AS important as the director, but there are a lot of people making the director look good, and no one is disputing the vision.
Old 08-02-03, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It all depends on which name carries the most weight. Like "Wes Craven Presents Dracula 2000". That sounds better than "Patrick Lussier presents Dracula 2000"
Old 08-02-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Granted in most films it means the director or the producer, to me the tag line means nothing. As The Nature Boy pointed out, it takes a hell of a lot of people to make a movie so it seems rather vain to reduce it to one person. Even directors/producers with signature styles and tons of clout couldn't have made a movie by themselves.
Old 08-02-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As mentioned above, the titles "A film by..." or "A ___ film" typically refer to the director. This tends to be a prestige thing, i.e. this is my movie, I made it, and it goes back to the concept of the auteur. I don't think anyone really believes that most directors make their films themselves, but they are often the driving force that in making of the movie. They direct the actors, collaborate with the cinematographer, writer, editor and sound designer. They are one of the few people usually involved throughout the process and their wishes tend to count for more than other above the line crew members. That being said, in some cases, blockbusters mainly, the producer is the driving force. One only has to look to a Jerry Bruckheimer, Scott Rudin or a Joel Silver. In these cases you might see a line like "A Jerry Bruckheimer Film/Movie". In the case of something like Dracula 2000 where the producer is more famous, in this case a famous director, Wes Craven, the release it as "Wes Craven presents", because Wes Craven will attract people to the movie based on his past work more than the director Patrick Lustic (sic?) who at this juncture is an unknown, unquantifiable factor.

Last edited by jrsl76; 08-02-03 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Not far removed from "David O. Selznick presents..." He wasn't directing, but that was still the credit.
Well, a waiter "presents" your food, but he didn't make it.
Old 08-02-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if this is the official way of credits, but this is what I would interpret the following:

A Steven Spielberg Film: Directed by, but not necesarily anything else.

A Film by Quinten Tarantino: Written & Directed by.

A Jerry Bruckheimer Production: Executive produced by.

Wes Craven (or studio name) Presents: Distributed by, but the name really had no involvement in the actual production of the film.
Old 08-03-03, 09:48 AM
Suspended

It's just a brand name, nothing more. It's says: "The Marketing Guys think that by seeing my name before the title, you'll assoicated it with one of my previous movies that you hopefuly liked."
Old 08-03-03, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Usually, it's the director...but it could be anybody. It's a meaningless phrase.
Old 08-03-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don’t get the vanity and egomaniac comments; after all, plays are also a team effort, yet it’s not uncommon for the playwright (or in some cases the director) to receive a similar billing. And conductors often receive top billing over the orchestra. In general, the director is the individual most responsible for the outcome of the picture—what’s wrong with giving them recognition?
Old 08-03-03, 01:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
In general, the director is the individual most responsible for the outcome of the picture—what’s wrong with giving them recognition?
I agree, but remember the DVDTalk Creedo:

* Director I Like = "Genius"

* Director I Don't Like = "Egomaniac"
Old 08-03-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People, you're getting way off base. The question was not what does "_____ Presents" mean, or waht does "A _____ Film" mean...the question is: What does "A Film By _____" mean?

Those are very specific words in a very specific order. In that case I'm pretty sure it always means the director.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.