Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

S.w.a.t

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.w.a.t

I'm looking forword to this film. I think every year you have to have a no-brainer action flick like this, it's just usually from Warner bros.
I've liked both trailers and the action looks pretty good, but the only problem is i've read quotes from people from it saying it's non stop action, that leads to two things 1)it's not or 2)it's crappy non stop action. But I want to be proved wrong.
It should be a good DVD as it's from Columbia.
anyone else?
Old 07-26-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
can't wait...
Old 07-26-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i wanna c this too... only problem is I used to do hostage rescue, so "hollywood cheese" related to that is really kinda silly and distracts me from having a good movie experience. hopefully they had good advisors and actually listened to them...

j
Old 07-26-03, 01:49 PM

" One..........hundred........million.........dollars!!! "

This movie will rule. Hard. The director, Clark Johnson, hasn't let me down yet.
Old 07-26-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suppose I'm not so optimistic. This looks like a close relative of Bad Boys II, and I wasn't really a huge fan of that movie.

The one line that always makes me laugh is when they reveal the anti-SWAT assault is led by (even though it is clearly said in the trailer, I'll tag it)
Spoiler:
an ex-SWAT member! Oh no!!

I'll still see it, though.

Oh yeah, I've come to the conclusion that any movie with LL Cool J loses merit points instantly.

Last edited by Corvin; 07-26-03 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
One of the few movie commercials that has ever actually made me cringe. Looks horrible!

Ah well, I need sleep.
Old 07-26-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: S.w.a.t

Originally posted by jdslater
I'm looking forword to this film. I think every year you have to have a no-brainer action flick like this, it's just usually from Warner bros.
Hasn't just about every big movie this year been a no brainer action flick. I mean some of my favorite movies are Commando, Predator, Die Hard, so I'm not against them, But when one comes our after another after another etc, it makes me want to puke. I'm so sick of everyone this year, or at least this summer, saying, well, it was good b/c it was just a no brainer popcorn movie. i'm not knocking you for your taste, I'm just voicing my feeling that I want more out of a mainstream movie. And it seems the more movies like CA2, SWAT, T3, Bad Boys 2 etc, etc, etc, come out, the more dumbed down the audience & the more they except movies not having complex stories, great acting & dialogue etc.

And SWAT, good god, can someone tell me why this movie can't just be a TNT original movie. B/.c aside from Samuel "plays the same role in every movie he is in" Jackson & Collin "Yes, this is the same role I played in The Recruit" Farrel, I don't see any difference between this & a TNT original movie starring Antonio Sabato Jr.

Last edited by Sessa17; 07-26-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know - for every dumb blockbuster coming out, there's a dozen or so pompous pseudointellectual artsy fartsy indie flicks you guys can go watch that'll make you feel superior... you don't have to waste your time seeing or talking about movies that are so clearly beneath you.
Old 07-26-03, 02:52 PM

trigger, you get me wrong,dude! I like the no-brainer action flick, sure I like something that makes me think and has a bit of substance i.e.donnie darko,mulhulland drive etc. but I also like to see a good car chase, shoot-out and explosion. I'm just saying that every year you have one, last year it could have been ballistic, year before 3000 miles to graceland (with I kinda liked). Sometimes I want to see something and go woah!, this year has been abit of a letdown, come on lets be honest, the only big one I enjoyed so far was CA2, and I was looking forword to alot of the stuff this year.
Old 07-26-03, 03:33 PM
Banned

I'm not sure about this movie, as much as I like Jackson and Farrell. When a movie trailer says "from the producers of The Fast and the Furious and xXx," it's almost (but not quite) as bad as when the name Michael Bay appears. Jackson's been doing some pretty horrible movies (Basic, Formula 51, xXx, Shaft) as of late, so hopefully this will be a good one.
Old 07-26-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm look forward to this movie as well. Jackson and Ferrell should be good and I like Clark Johnson so his big screen directoral debut should be interesting. Plus I'm moving that week so anything that doesn't have to do with packing, boxes, or movers will be heavenly.
Old 07-26-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

looks friggin sweet!
Old 07-26-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this The Recruit part 2?
Old 07-26-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
You know - for every dumb blockbuster coming out, there's a dozen or so pompous pseudointellectual artsy fartsy indie flicks you guys can go watch that'll make you feel superior... you don't have to waste your time seeing or talking about movies that are so clearly beneath you.
If this is directed at my post, then I don't understand why? Unless you are really insecure about liking dumb movies. I said I like no-brainer movies. I love good action but I like good action to be different. Swat just looks like a made fro TV movie, there is nothing in the previews that seperates it from a thousand direct to video movies.

As for the ragging on people that like non-stuff-blowing-up movies. Grow up. Just b/c someone is bored with the same mindless special effects movies doesn't mean the feel superior. Yeah, there are a dozen non-special effects/action movies (whatever you want to call them) but unfortunately they don't get the press, box office gross etc, as the mindless action movies. It's just annoying that this summer particular, the mindless action movies just all seem to be rehashed, trite, nonsense. CA2 offered nothing you didn't see in CA1, BB2 offered nothing you didn't seen in BB1 (actually the car chase was good), T3 again, while had a solid car chase, gave us nothing we didn't see in the first 2. Same with Matrix etc etc.

My point just is, YES, I love a good summer blockbuster, but I also need them to be a bit different. It seems the trend this year is just bigger explosions with less plot & story. Obviously some people like this, I don't. And SWAT to me is the ultimate example of this nonsense.

Last edited by Sessa17; 07-26-03 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-26-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My post wasn't directed towards anyone in particular... just towards everyone who continually visits threads about blockbuster action movies so they can take a big steamy poo in the thread for no reason other than to make everyone see how they are too far evolved and educated to be entertained by such drivel. I'm just tired of it and I'm venting. I'm not insecure about what I like I like what I like and I don't give a crap what other people think about me because of it. That should be obvious by now if you happen to notice my posts. If anything, I'm accusing the blockbuster poopers of being insecure.

I can't wait for SWAT - I don't care how silly the premise is - if it's dumb, I probably won't like it. I loved Bad Boys 2 because it was able to (like all Bay movies) create a world where the situations could be plausable and things basically managed to work in that environment... even though it's unrealistic, it works - much like a good vampire movie - vampires don't exist, but as long as the movie sticks to the rules it lays down, it's good.
Old 07-26-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking forward to it, and I'm no action junkie. I have a feeling a lot of people will be surprised by this film.
Old 07-26-03, 06:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I think it looks pretty decent as well. Looking forward to it!
Old 07-26-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Let see....I like the cast. I love the director and want to see him succeed in a big way. And I loved the trailer.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-26-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love this sort of thing, but I wish it wasn't PG-13. It's a gun movie populated with gangbangers (eat sugar, you motherflipping icehole!) directed by a guy famous for "gritty". And compared to most summer flicks, it's relatively cheap, too. It's too bad they didn't take a chance on a R-rating.

Also, I thought Colin Farrell's fanbase was women of college age and older?
Old 07-26-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Colin Farrel is minus a couple of points. LL Cool J is minus a couple more. The oh-so-blantant love story thing is minus a couple of points. Some of the action scenes look pretty cool though. Jackson is always a plus despite his recent string of flops. The story also seems pretty good also. Maybe not a strong story but a strong idea for an action movie. I just hope its straight action and they dont try to throw in twists about Jackson being behind the whole thing and it was all a setup, conspiracy, make believe world set up by robots so they could use us as batteries kinda thing.
Old 07-27-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Swat just looks like a made fro TV movie, there is nothing in the previews that seperates it from a thousand direct to video movies.
well, if the movie is going to be anything like real hostage rescue ops etc, it wont look anything like a big blockbuster action flick from hollywood. As cool as those are, they have no basis in real life and maybe this SWAT flick is trying to be atleast somewhat realistic (i hope anyway). SWAT guys dont shoot with a gun in each hand, there arent huge fireballs every time something explodes, and swat guys generally arent super flashy or charismatic movie types. In short, a somewhat realistic movie about real swat guys prolly would look made-for-tv-ish, simply because things that might make it more hollywood-ish just arent real.

anyway, we can nitpick more once the movie is actually out... basing an opinion on previews is pretty pointless.

j
Old 07-27-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Jackson is always a plus despite his recent string of flops.
[sickboy]Pulp Fiction is merely a blip on an otherwise downward trajectory[/sickboy]
Old 07-27-03, 07:13 PM
Banned

"You know what they say... you're either S.W.A.T. or you're not"

Really? Wow, thanks, Captain Obvious!

If that's an example of the writer's capabilities, then this movie is gonna suck, and suck hard.
Old 07-27-03, 07:23 PM
Banned

I can't stand Michelle Rodriguez.
Old 07-27-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good to me.. my friends are more exicted about it then i am, but it still looks entertaining.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.