Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

S.w.a.t

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-03, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ccoolidge
My favorite scene is where S.W.A.T. storms the Cyberdyne building to catch the terrorists and the big biker looking guy shoots them all in the kneecaps.

That was pretty sweet.
Old 08-09-03, 09:40 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Saw it last night... I liked it.

I was a little weirded out seeing the-Elijah-Wood-look a-like-with-tatoos-as-the-ex-SWAT-turned-bad-guy in the film.

It was good to see Ashley Scott again... albeit it was only about 3 mins.

Spoiler:
Did you get the feeling that she was Boxer's sister?

All in all I give it for just being a little more real than it should have been.
Old 08-09-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Spoiler:
she was.
Old 08-09-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I have to come in here and stem the tide of all this negativity, because I actually really enjoyed the movie. (either stem the tide of suffer from first degree flame burns)

I thought the movie started a lot stronger than it ended, but still a very good action ride. Maybe I'm cutting Clark Johnson too much slack, but except for a couple places, the movie was directed extremely well, he clearly learned a few lessons from John DeSegoznac.

Nice to see Reed Diamond and Josh Charles up on the big screen too, though
Spoiler:
it sucked to see Charles turn to the dark side
Old 08-09-03, 05:01 PM

Its not a great movie and maybe not even a good movie. But I still enjoyed it.

Those 80's action movies were dumb fun but I'm glad they don't often make movies like Commando and Cobra anymore. If only because the guys and gal in S.W.A.T. actually look like they know how to handle a weapon. They don't look like a bunch of dumb actors who've never handled a gun and wave it around each other like toys. The technical advisor (ex-LAPD) for T2 and Se7en helped the actors look and move like real S.W.A.T. team members.

The cops in this movie actually get to be the good guys in this movie. Its not some loner who's trying to do good in a city full of crooked/incompetent cops and criminals. Most cops actually are good guys and well trained. What a concept!! I loved the scene when LL Cool J has a verbal exchange with an old woman when he's hauling a black suspect into a patrol car. And the attitude of this movie is refreshingly UN-PC. (Which seems to be why some critics want to bash this movie even more, like they did with Fight Club). If a bad guy needs to be shot they shoot him and they don't reflect on it, concern themselves about "healing", or other touchy feely things. If thats not for you Le Divorce and Freaky Friday opened next door.

Last edited by Ian11; 08-09-03 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-09-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone else notice that Josh Charles looks like a surly French Stewart (the squinty comedian from 3rd Rock From the Sun)? It was hard to take him seriously as a bad-ass once I made the connection.

Anyway, the movie was alright. I'm glad I heard all of the negative reviews, so my expectations were low. They DEFINITELY did not capitalize on the premise, though. Even the main assault sucked in its brevity and lack of follow through on bullet hits.
Old 08-09-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this today with my gf. I really didn't want to see it, and after seeing it I can say that was a smart decision.

I thought the movie was terrible.

The dialog was some of the worst-cheesiest lines I've heard.

LL Cool J alone ruins a movie for me. He even managed to do it in Halloween H20..

Constant music, I haven't seen a list of the songs on the soundtrack, but I can't believe there is one, that's not played in almost it's entirety during the movie.

My gf, who really wanted to see it, agreed it was bad, but said she enjoyed it. So it's prob one of those you can enjoy if that's your type of movie. I'm not the biggest fan of action movies, and esp. action movies where everything must work (although all the things are very likely not to if it was remotely real) to foil the bad guys.
Old 08-09-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing all that compelling in this film, which is really just 2 acts, so it felt a bit abrupt in how it shifted gears from the beginning until it gets to the last half of the film. The character development is pretty thin, but with 6 SWAT team members, that would have been hard to pull off in under 2 hours. There wasn't as much tension as I'd hoped, and I never got pulled into the world of SWAT in a convincing manner.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 08-09-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm in the minority, because I really liked the film. I haven't seen too many movies this summer, but of the ones I've seen, this has been the best one.

The action was good and I'm glad that there weren't any lame "love story" plotlines. I'm glad Michelle Rodriguez' character and Colin Farrell's didn't hook up. It was nice having an action movie without the sexual undertones. Surprisingly, I actually thought Rodriguez looked kinda decent in the movie. Usually, I find her too masculine or pissed off (which admittedly, she has that pissed off look in this movie too) to be attractive. But there were times in the movie where she was attractive.

The whole plot was a little ridiculous, but it was entertaining and somewhat believable. I thought the acting was decent and I'm really beginning to like Colin Farrell's work.

The only gripes that I can think of are:
Spoiler:

1. What's LAPD SWAT doing with a federal/international prisoner? Why aren't the Feds handling him?
2. The "bad guys" had a pretty damn well-planned and thought-out plan for something that would've only had a few hours to be planned. Impossible.
3. A claymore mine is an anti-personnel mine with ball bearings. I seriously doubt it would blow that door/gate open.
4. What the hell was the claymore doing there in the first place? My friend suggested that maybe that dude planted it there, but if so, it leads back to my #2 gripe...these guys only had a little time to plan out this thing.
5. Do police have staff sergeants? I've NEVER heard of a police staff sergeant, but my "expertise" is with the military. The insignia that Samuel L. Jackson was wearing was that of an army staff sergeant. I know they identified him in the movie as a staff sergeant, but I wasn't aware that the police force had that rank. It was a little distracting because I kept telling myself during the movie that it was fake. But I could be wrong.

Those are the only gripes that come to mind. Overall, I thought it was a very entertaining movie and I was never bored for a single minute of the movie.

Spoiler:
The scene where the LAPD helicopter goes down was pretty intense and I flashbacked to Black Hawk Down (a favorite movie of mine).

I was also disappointed with the PG-13 rating, but I'm sure that was done to bring in a wider audience. I'm 99% sure that we'll get an R-rated or Director's Cut version for the DVD release at one point or another, though. Then we can see
Spoiler:
that girl flash her boobs to the passing car.

Old 08-09-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was an alright movie. Not horribly bad, not suprisingly good. Just alright.
Old 08-10-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright movie but oh my god I wanted to kill Olivier Martinez. Not because he was bad or evil or wore white after Labor day but because he was so annoying!! Every time he opened his mouth i wanted to beat him into submission, cut out his tounge, curb him and then submit his to slow painful chinese water torture.
Old 08-10-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought that I should see it because it is the last action movie of the summer; I'm eagerly awaiting all the horror releases.
Surprisingly fun. The only thing I didn't like was the premise, no way would they air a criminal saying something like that, but oh well.
Grade: B
Old 08-10-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by jonpeters
I thought that I should see it because it is the last action movie of the summer; I'm eagerly awaiting all the horror releases.
Surprisingly fun. The only thing I didn't like was the premise, no way would they air a criminal saying something like that, but oh well.
Grade: B
The movie takes place in Los Angeles believe me, they'd air it. I too enjoyed the movie. It wasn't a masterpiece but it had some interesting moments. Not bad for the last summer action movie.
Old 08-10-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by jonpeters
The only thing I didn't like was the premise, no way would they air a criminal saying something like that, but oh well.
Yeah, network TV is known for taking the HIGH ground...

[By the way, initially they were broadcasting Live...]
Old 08-10-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did anyone notice the cameo by Steve Forrest ("Hondo" of the S.W.A.T. TV show fame)?
Spoiler:
He's the driver of the big delivery/holding truck at the very end of the film as the gang makes their delivery at the prison and are thinking about some downtime and then the call comes for another assignment, and they all head back into action.
Old 08-10-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw it last night Grade C+. Not bad but much lost potential. They made such an issue of Michelle Rodriguezes' character being a badass but they never put her into a position to show it. She should have kicked someones ass at some point!!

Had the feel of a TV movie or a pilot for a TV show.
Old 08-10-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

man was i dissappointed! argh, i was expecting a non stop action fest. instead i got 1.5 hrs of lame conversations and 'how to be a swat member' documentary crap.

i thought this movie would be mostly about how the team defends against all those bad guys trying to rescue the other bad guy. that ended up being like 10 minutes.

the last 20 minutes was pretty cool but overall i was dissappointed. had very high expectations.

i give it a 5/10.

the best part of the night for me was defintely the underworld trailer. OMG that looks sweet!!
Old 08-10-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
This movie wasn't dreadful. Dreadful was Bad Boys II. [If you want to compare "mindless" popcorn flicks.]

no way. bb2 was waaaay better than swat!
Old 08-11-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atari2600
no way. bb2 was waaaay better than swat!
Matter of taste, really.

I found SWAT to be more enjoyable. Why? Because it didn't have such a bloated running time. Pretty simple reason, actually.
Old 08-11-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I guess I'm in the minority, because I really liked the film. I haven't seen too many movies this summer, but of the ones I've seen, this has been the best one.
Okay, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean today. SWAT is now 2nd.

Old 08-11-03, 09:12 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the movie. Great Saturday afternoon enjoyment.
Old 08-11-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
My main complaint was that after the training test on the plane, there was absolutely nothing tactical. You'd think that a movie about "Special Weapons And Tactics" would have some "Special Tactics" in it rather than just running/chasing and shooting.
Old 08-11-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Enjoyed the movie quite a bit... predictable in a lot of areas, but exactly what i expected. One of my favorites for the year
Old 08-23-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw this today and loved it! I was really excited about this movie and unfortunately had to wait awhile to check it out. It was even better than I hoped.
Old 08-23-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Saw it last night... I liked it.

I was a little weirded out seeing the-Elijah-Wood-look a-like-with-tatoos-as-the-ex-SWAT-turned-bad-guy in the film.

It was good to see Ashley Scott again... albeit it was only about 3 mins.

Spoiler:
Did you get the feeling that she was Boxer's sister?

All in all I give it for just being a little more real than it should have been.
how many hands do you have?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.