Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does movie critics reviews alter your desire to see a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if movie critics reviews alter your desire to see a movie or not?

Personally I don't care what a movie critic thinks of a movie. I see a movie that I am interested in seeing. Either the story, actor or director are the main reasons I go to see a movie.

I think that in America we give to much importance to what critics think of things. Be it movies, music, TV, food, restaurants etc.

Remember that a critics review is just their thoughts on something. One persons opinion about it. Why give them so much power.

Personally I think that in a way movie critics power is starting to lose its power already. Look how many films they rave about, that flop or the movies they hate but the audiences love.

If a movie is good or enjoyable to the masses then it will succeed on it's own merits, not critics opinions.
Old 07-21-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
It all depends on who it is and what exactly they say. Ebert has technically given the thumbs up to some, that if you read/listen to his review; you are left wondering how he gave it a thumbs up.
Old 07-21-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rarely let a review talk me out of seeing a movie I'm interested in; however, I often catch movies I would normally pass on that get great reviews. I try to use reviews to expand my horizons, not limit them.
Old 07-21-03, 03:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
At times - yes. If a movie that I did not anticipate to be very good is given exceptionally high ratings, then yes, it will affect my decision to see it.
Old 07-21-03, 03:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not really, but if a movie gets really low ratings over at RottenTomatoes, and word of mouth is really bad, I'll probably stay away.
Old 07-21-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
It all depends on who it is and what exactly they say. Ebert has technically given the thumbs up to some, that if you read/listen to his review; you are left wondering how he gave it a thumbs up.
Yeah, but think about how broad the thumbs up/thumbs down rating really is. Talk about unreliable.

Originally posted by Groucho
Not really, but if a movie gets really low ratings over at RottenTomatoes, and word of mouth is really bad, I'll probably stay away.
Yeah, this is pretty much my mentality as well. If I really want to see something, though, I'll see it regardless of the reviews. Bad Boys II is a fine example of this; it got lombasted universally, but I saw it nonetheless.

While critics don't generally deter my choices, I will often let them recommend movies. What I mean is if all the critics generally praise a movie, I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-21-03, 03:57 PM
Suspended

I NEVER listen to critics. They are absolutely worthless to me.
Old 07-21-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No they doesn't.
Old 07-21-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's a movie I'm really anticipating, then I'll see it despite reviews. For everything else, I usually go by the Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometer. One review isn't enough to sway me, but an average of a hundred or so reviews gives a pretty good picture of what a film is like IMO.
Old 07-21-03, 04:50 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Maybe, it's hard to say. I read a lot of film journalism and film criticism, and it's got to have some influence. If I read a lot of good things about a particular director's work, say Samira Makmahlbaf or Tsai Ming-Liang, I'll tend to seek out films they've directed.

Film criticism is as useful as you allow it to be. Rejecting it out of hand is being close minded, whereas paying too much heed to it is just being a sheep.
Old 07-21-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 352 Likes on 229 Posts
I definately care what critics say, especially if there is a consensus. Many movies get polarized ratings--either great or awful, and for those, I just go see them. But if most critics say a movie is stupid, I wait for it to come out on dvd if I have to see it.

tasha
Old 07-21-03, 05:09 PM

I've noticed that if the film is a genre that interests me and reviewers such as Ebert and Roeper both give it thumbs up, then its likely going to be a fun film.

If its a genre or story that I have no interest in, who cares.
Old 07-21-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope. I see what I want to see and follow MY tastes. The hell with critics. Titanic owned all of you.
Old 07-21-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sometimes. There are definatly movies that i'm unsure about after watching the previews and trailers, where i will read reviews to see what the general consensus is.

For movies that i anticipate or look awesome from the trailers, i could care less. Bad Boys II is an easy example. I couldn't give a damn how much the critics panned it, it was awesome
Old 07-21-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
No. I can only imagine the countless number of good movies I would have missed if I hadn't gone on gut instinct.
Old 07-21-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 725 Likes on 530 Posts
Nope.
Old 07-21-03, 06:30 PM
Banned

Yes. I don't like going to the theatre so the movie better be really good.
Old 07-21-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never, if I want to see the movie I will see it. Critics have not like some of the most poplar films of all time. And some of the movie they have said were bad, were some of the most entertaining movies I have seen.

I watch the movie critics to just see the clips and here a little bit on how the movies were made.
Old 07-21-03, 08:34 PM
mwj

Since I have limited time and money, criticism plays a part in what I see and buy. Plus, I enjoy reading criticism in general.
Old 07-21-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, they did. Especially if I read their review often. (ie. Ebert, Bernardinelli)
Old 07-22-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, definately. If the review says the movie is bad, I'll wait until it goes out on DVD before I see it (if at all).

If the review is good, I am much more likely to catch it in a theater / drive-in.
Old 07-22-03, 10:28 AM

If the reviews are good and I want to see it. I'll try to catch it on an afternoon matinee.

If the reviews are good or bad and I want to see it, I'll see it at the dollar theater a few weeks/months later (Best deal in town)

Blockbuster too expensive, unless you have a rent one get one free coupon.
Old 07-22-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never let reviews actually keep me from seeing a movie that I feel I may enjoy. I will use a consensus of them to help judge my expectations going into it. If a lot of critics say "this movie sucked", I'll still go to make my own decision, but just lower my expectations and the opposite holds true as well.
Old 07-22-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If I really want to see a movie, I'll see it, no matter what individual critics say.

If I'm marginal about a movie, I'll listen to critics. Unless there's nothing else to see, and I just want to go to a movie.

If I don't have any interest in a movie, and then it gets excellent reviews or word of mouth, sometimes I'll see it (most recent example: Pirates of the Carribean).

If I want to see a movie, and it is of a type/genre where I would expect it to get good reviews, and it gets roundly panned (not just by one or two critics, but by virtually every critic, ala Rotten Tomatoes), I may be less likely to see it, or go in with reduced expectations.

Another factor in this is my wife. A movie may be on my must-see list, and on her no-interest list. Good reviews, I may be able to get her to go (this worked out with T3 for me recently), bad/average reviews, I lose some ammunition (which happened with Italian Job).
Old 07-22-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure. If a critic hates a movie, that means that it is worth my time to go see. If they love it, then I'll save my money.

I have no respect for movie critics. Their tastes are the total opposite of mine. The only critics i semi-like are Ebert & Roper. Even then, their show airs sunday night so I see the movies before their show is on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.