Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Walk To Remember

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Walk To Remember

Okay, this is pretty embarassing, but for some reason I feel compelled to divulge to everybody that I just finished watching A Walk To Remember....and I really liked it.

I guess part of the reason is because I like Mandy Moore...I think she's a very talented singer (seriously) and I think she did an admirable job in her first movie role. Not to mention that she's super cute.

In fact, I liked the movie so much I actually spent a few minutes on the IMDB message boards reading through the mindless, adolescent drivel there. I must've lost about half of my braincells reading that garbage. So now I'm down to one braincell.

I know I can't be the only non-teenage girl to like this movie! Speak up!

By the way, I'm actually sort of looking forward to her new movie. I think I've already said too much.

Old 07-20-03, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say this, but I have a friend who actually went out and bought "A walk to remember". As a blind buy!!! And he likes it alot. I make fun of him all the time about it.
Old 07-20-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
I hate to say this, but I have a friend who actually went out and bought "A walk to remember". As a blind buy!!! And he likes it alot. I make fun of him all the time about it.
Hey, it's all good. Have you seen it? If not, you should. I remember actually wanting to see it in the theater when it came out but my then girlfriend and I never got around to it.

Old 07-20-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed it. It was a much superior film to that Brittany Spears stinker Crossroads.
Old 07-20-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'll admit that I like the movie as well. Though I haven't plunked down the cash to buy it, I catch it when it's on HBO. So dont' worry, you aren't the only non-teenage girl who enjoys it. I don't think I'll be checking out her new film though since I've seen maybe one preview for it so far.
Old 07-20-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually watched it...and shed a tear at the end.

Beat that one wimps!
Old 07-20-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SirPablo

Beat that one wimps!
I'll see your single tear at the end of the Mandy Moore movie and raise you - I've cried watching Oprah... more than once.
Old 07-20-03, 12:26 PM
Banned

A Walk to Remember is a big time guilty pleasure for me. There's something very enjoyable, yet very gay about liking a Mandy Moore movie.
Old 07-20-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I've never seen this movie, but do find it odd - it came out over a year ago and was lamblasted on forums and in person a like... Fast forward to now and a lot of people are "coming out" as fans of the movie.

Mandy Moore seems to be the most likely singer to succeed in terms of being an actress...and god is she hot.
Old 07-20-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by moocher
I enjoyed it. It was a much superior film to that Brittany Spears stinker Crossroads.
Funny thing is, I started to watch Crossroads last night, too (before AWTR, actually). I had to stop it after 5 minutes, though, because it was already apparent that it was going to be horribly bad. I'll give it another chance someday.

Old 07-20-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SirPablo

Beat that one wimps!
I got sorta choked up at various parts of the movie...mostly when:

Spoiler:
Landon goes to tell his dad 'thank you' for paying for Jamie's home medical care.

Old 07-20-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
I'll see your single tear at the end of the Mandy Moore movie and raise you - I've cried watching Oprah... more than once.
Okay Trigger, that's just pathetic.

Old 07-20-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Variable697
A Walk to Remember is a big time guilty pleasure for me. There's something very enjoyable, yet very gay about liking a Mandy Moore movie.
Gay? Seems like you may have some issues, dude.

Old 07-20-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichC2

Mandy Moore seems to be the most likely singer to succeed in terms of being an actress...and god is she hot.
I agree. Out of her, Britney, Christina Aguilera (who I think I read somewhere is going to be in a movie or something soon), and Jessica Simpson, I think Mandy has the best acting chops. Of course out of the four, Christina has the best singing voice. That girl can sing. I put Mandy 3rd behind Christina and Jessica in terms of singing voice. Christina and Jessica have more powerful voices.

Now look what you've done! You've gone and made me look like a little teenage girl talking about these female popstars.

Old 07-20-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't be embarrassed. I'm right there with you in liking the movie. Mandy Moore was great in it. Love the DVD Commentary too with her, the director and Shane. What gets to me is they talk all about these "deleted scenes" but they're nowhere to be found on the DVD.

Anyway, yep. for me.
Old 07-20-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might have to catch this on hbo sometime
Old 07-20-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have yet to see it, but I remember that even Howard Stern really loved this movie so you don't have to feel alone.
Old 07-20-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I have yet to see it, but I remember that even Howard Stern really loved this movie so you don't have to feel alone.
Woah, really? That's interesting. I can't even believe he sat down to watch this movie. His girlfriend must've forced him.

Old 07-20-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've seen it, and didn't think it was particularly good. Everything about it was incredibly cheezy, especially the ending. I actually caught the ending in theaters since me and my friend went and watched Super Troopers while our other female friend watched A Walk to Remember, and we walked in on the last 10 minutes or so and at the time i thought it was pretty bad. Caught it again on DVD at another friend's house and thought it was a bit better, although it's nothing to write home about.

Incredibly predictable, and one of those typical "bad boy" + "nerd girl" type of deals, except with an heightened ridiculousness for an ending.
Old 07-21-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fumanstan
I've seen it, and didn't think it was particularly good. Everything about it was incredibly cheezy, especially the ending. I actually caught the ending in theaters since me and my friend went and watched Super Troopers while our other female friend watched A Walk to Remember, and we walked in on the last 10 minutes or so and at the time i thought it was pretty bad. Caught it again on DVD at another friend's house and thought it was a bit better, although it's nothing to write home about.

Incredibly predictable, and one of those typical "bad boy" + "nerd girl" type of deals, except with an heightened ridiculousness for an ending.
Sure it's somewhat predictable; what romantic movie isn't? We all know that they're going to end up together, right? Otherwise, it wouldn't really be much of a romantic movie. There are a few movies that stray from that, but most don't.

What ridiculousness are you referring to?
Spoiler:
The fact that she died? Or that Landon learned something about himself and about life? I've learned quite a number of things about myself and about life from relationships so I don't think that's ridiculous.

I'm not saying that this is the best movie ever. Far from it. In fact, it probably wouldn't even make my top 20. It's just a feel good movie (in a sad way), and I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure there are many people out there, yourself included, who think the movie wasn't very good. I can certainly understand why...it's basically a sappy teen romance movie. It's a little different than your typical fare, though, because it doesn't have a "and they all live happily ever after" type ending.

I respect your opinion, however, and thank you for sharing. At least you gave a reason as to why you didn't like it. I hate it when people say they don't like something but don't give a reason.

Oh yeah...all teen movies are cheesy. That's what makes some of them good.

Old 07-21-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Might have to catch this on hbo sometime
Yeah dude, watch it with your girlfriend. You'll be in like Flynn. How's that going, btw? You two still together?

Old 07-21-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Don't be embarrassed. I'm right there with you in liking the movie. Mandy Moore was great in it. Love the DVD Commentary too with her, the director and Shane. What gets to me is they talk all about these "deleted scenes" but they're nowhere to be found on the DVD.

Anyway, yep. for me.
Did they say that the deleted scenes were on the DVD specifically, or were they referring to deleted scenes in general? Maybe they were just referring to scenes that were left on the cutting room floor.

Old 07-21-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I felt the ending got silly after
Spoiler:
they fall in love, she tells him she's dying, they get married, and years later he comes back a better man to honor her memory or something... at least something like that from what i remember, i last saw it a few months ago. It's the marriage and death thing that bugged me the most
Although it's based on a book... not sure if the book was based on real events or not. Just a bit too sappy for my tastes... although i'm not fond of many "chick flicks" anyway, so this wouldn't be the movie to turn me
Old 07-21-03, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very good movie.....I purchased this title unseen and kept it.
Old 07-21-03, 06:00 AM

Zeus, you are not surprising me. I always address this movie as a "guy" movie. From what I've heard from my friends' opinion after watching, it's kinda interesting for me to see how this movie works for my male-friends more than it does to my female-friends, including me (note: please exclude my sister, she cried so bad till her eyes swollen and her nose redden like Rudolph the Raindeer). Digging deeply, I found the two main reasons: Mandy Moore and Jamie Sullivan

I think it also works, because it is based on a male point of view. How his life was changed by a girl so simple, so un-noticeable. And by the love so sweet. Again .. coming through .. Mandy Moore and Jamie Sullivan

For me, A Walk to Remember is okay. It can be a better movie though. It has a lot of potential to be my fave, cause the genre and the plot are already in its way to be my fave. Unfortunately, Mandy Moore is still unpolished. I can't see Jamie in her, I see Mandy instead .. and I don't like it. She makes Jamie's character a bit blur in my eyes. Her emotions and her determinations were simply hard to recognize. The only scene that I was glad to see Jamie as Mandy was when she sang "Only Hope". Good Lord, hearing her singing that beautiful song .. with the camera-shot circling around her .. well .. I've got goosebumps. And if you happen to notice Landon's expression seeing Jamie on that stage, I believe I had the same expression on my face seeing Mandy on that big theatre screen.

I bought the Nicholas Sparks' novel purposely, cause I felt all the characters in the movie did not really full-fill my curiosity, and I wanted to know more about what happened between those two teenagers in love. And I'm happy to say, I love the book. It compliments the movie.

I got sorta choked up at various parts of the movie...mostly when:
This one is pretty good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.