Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman short film... anyone else heard of this?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman short film... anyone else heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it... and at the same time, I really didn't.

I know that the primary reason behind this film was to showcase the director's talents and get people to take notice. It succeeded there, brilliantly.

For me, it had too much of that "Kevin Smith, fan boy on overload feel" (oy), and that's not what gets me excited. No wonder Smith declared it the "best" - it's totally up his alley (no pun intended ).

The surprises kept rolling out instead of just taking six minutes to tell really good story, and it hurt the film for me (will anyone focus on his detective skills, aside from the animated series?). Hell, keep the surprises, but save them for the very end where it's more dramatically effective.

The costume looked great. I like the black belt a lot. I could take or leave the trunks.

It's a fun entry, but hardly the best Batman on film. That title either goes to "Mask of the Phantasm", or the live-action film that they have yet to get right... whenever that happens.

Maybe they can outdo themseves with a sequel to "Dead End".

Gary

Last edited by GaryEA; 07-21-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I wish Fox and WB would team up, hire everyone who worked on this film and pair the director with a better writer since the concept can be fleshed out effectively, giving us not only action but an insightful look into Batman's mind and showcase his detective skills.
Spoiler:
Couldn't you just imagine Batman tailing a recently escaped Joker when all these corpses start piling up and everyone points the finger at the Clown Prince of Crime? You have the first half deal with Batman after the Joker and his growing suspicions that he's not behind these grizzly murders and eventually has to prove the Joker's innocence. Not only that but Batman has this eerie feeling that someone is constantly tailing him (even as Bruce Wayne). About the hour mark, we get the first glimpse of the Alien (or more, like the ending of this short film seems to suggest). A little later things go from bad to worse when Batman's stalker makes his presence known (that being the Predator, in case you haven't guessed) and decides that Batman might be even better prey than the Alien(s). Along the way Batman also has several run ins with the Joker and, if they're feeling really creative, they can really exploit the monsters beggetting monsters angle by having the Joker screwing with Bats by drawing parrallels between the Alien/Predator's relationship and his and Batman's. (By this I mean exploiting the "I'm like your bastard son" angle with the reveal that the Predators seeded Gotham with face-hugger eggs to have some Aliens to hunt thus reinforcing the monsters beggetting monsters angle.)
With a talented enough writer they can actually cater to the thinking-man's crowd along with the balls-to-the-wall action crowd and still keep WB/Fox happy with all the toyline/movies cross-promotion tie-ins they could ever want.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-21-03 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Well, I liked it.

I HATE Quicktime... how do you save on this POS?

With that said ...

I think Batman looks good especially if you think of him being in his early years of training. I did find Joker annyong and the makeup didn't work for me. It was too much.

Spoiler:
The Predators, as always, looked very cool and the Aliens worked as well. I got the feeling the Predators were not so much after Bats...but after the Aliens behind him. He was just in the way. Of course once you challenge a Predator his instinct makes him fight. It's too bad they didn't have eany female Predators.
Old 07-21-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by RocShemp
I wish Fox and WB would team up, hire everyone who worked on this film and pair the director with a better writer since the concept can be fleshed out effectively, giving us not only action but an insightful look into Batman's mind and showcase his detective skills.
Spoiler:
Couldn't you just imagine Batman tailing a recently escaped Joker when all these corpses start piling up and everyone points the finger at the Clown Prince of crime? You have the first half deal with Batman after the Joker and his growing suspicions that he's not behind these grizzly murders and eventually has to prove the Joker's innocence. Not only that but Batman has this eerie feeling that someone is constantly tailing him (even as Bruce Wayne). About the hour mark, we get the first glimpse of the Alien (or more, like the ending of this film seems to suggest). A little later things go from bad to worse when Batman's stalker makes his presence known That being the Predator, in case you haven't guessed) and decides that Batman might be even better prey that the Alien(s). Along the way Batman also has several run ins with the Joker and, if they're feeling really creative, they can really exploit the monsters beggetting monsters angle by having the Joker screwing with Bats by drawing parrallels between the Alien/Predator's relationship and his and Batman's. (By this I mean exploiting the "I'm like your bastard son" angle with the reveal that the Predators seeded Gotham with face-hugger eggs to have som Aliens to hunt thuse reinforcing the monsters beggetting monsters angle.)
With a telented enough writer they can actually cater to the thinking-man's crowd along with the balls-to-the-wall action crowd an still keep WB/Fox happy with all the toyline/movies corss-promotion tie-ins they could ever want.

it was a SHORT!

Old 07-21-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Admit it, Giantrobo. You know you'd watch a feature-length movie like that as much as I would.
Old 07-21-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got through watching this film. As someone who knows nothing about the Batmany mythos and is really only a fan of comic book movies instead of the books themselves, I thought the film looked pretty good.

I'm gonna agree w/ the few who said the suit looked a little cheesey, but that's why looks like that stay in the comic books and don't get literally translated to the screen. I half hoped to see some text bubbles saying, "BAM!", "WHACK", and "POW" to come up when he was fighting the Predator, but no such luck. I enjoyed it simply as a short film, but if that's his look in the next full-length film I'm probably gonna be disappointed.
Old 07-21-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Couldn't you just imagine Batman tailing a recently escaped Joker when all these corpses start piling up and everyone points the finger at the Clown Prince of Crime? You have the first half deal with Batman after the Joker and his growing suspicions that he's not behind these grizzly murders and eventually has to prove the Joker's innocence. Not only that but Batman has this eerie feeling that someone is constantly tailing him (even as Bruce Wayne). About the hour mark, we get the first glimpse of the Alien (or more, like the ending of this short film seems to suggest). A little later things go from bad to worse when Batman's stalker makes his presence known (that being the Predator, in case you haven't guessed) and decides that Batman might be even better prey than the Alien(s). Along the way Batman also has several run ins with the Joker and, if they're feeling really creative, they can really exploit the monsters beggetting monsters angle by having the Joker screwing with Bats by drawing parrallels between the Alien/Predator's relationship and his and Batman's. (By this I mean exploiting the "I'm like your bastard son" angle with the reveal that the Predators seeded Gotham with face-hugger eggs to have some Aliens to hunt thus reinforcing the monsters beggetting monsters angle.)
With a talented enough writer they can actually cater to the thinking-man's crowd along with the balls-to-the-wall action crowd and still keep WB/Fox happy with all the toyline/movies cross-promotion tie-ins they could ever want.

I'd rather jus thave FOX get off their lazy arse and get moving with an alien vs predator film.
Old 07-21-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mmmm.... it rates an "okay" with me. It didn't blow me away, and some of it was just plain silly. The fight sequences weren't that good, and Bats looks too outclassed. There were shots that totally came from the pencils of Dave Mazzucelli.
Old 07-21-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Watching Batman get beat up and spit blood was neat
Old 07-21-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is awesome..... want more... want.....more...

(i didnt read any of the posts before watching that so it wasnt spoiled for me... )
Old 07-21-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm downloading this right now...but I'm curious...how does a guy get clearance to make a movie about such a big name as Batman?
Old 07-21-03, 11:59 PM
Banned

Started out cool.

Then you know who pops out of nowhere and does you know what to the Joker.

It looked like bad sketch comedy.....but it wasn't.

I guess for something that's free, I really shouldn't complain but I can't say I enjoyed the whole thing. I like Batman, Aliens and Predators but not all together. I guess it was fun but incredibly stupid at the same time.

Oh well.
Old 07-22-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PacMan2006
I'm downloading this right now...but I'm curious...how does a guy get clearance to make a movie about such a big name as Batman?

fair use. aslong as he makes no cash out of it.. it's all good
Old 07-22-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the short was okay. I'm not a huge Batman fan to begin with.

I didn't read any of the posts, so I almost started laughing when I saw the alien. And then a predator. Geesh.

Anyway, I'd much rather see an AvP movie before a AvPvBatman story.
Old 07-22-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was ok but certainly not up to the level of hype it has recieved.

Last edited by Thrush; 07-22-03 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I thought it was awesome. The Joker's makeup was amazing. I'd really like to see more from whoever did this.
Old 07-22-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Admit it, Giantrobo. You know you'd watch a feature-length movie like that as much as I would.
of course.
Old 07-22-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Patman
Mmmm.... it rates an "okay" with me. It didn't blow me away, and some of it was just plain silly. The fight sequences weren't that good, and Bats looks too outclassed. There were shots that totally came from the pencils of Dave Mazzucelli.

Jaded Comic/Sci fi con addict.
Old 07-22-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by fumanstan
Personally, i think he looks pretty dorky in the pictures. Yes, that's how Batman would look if his costume was translated straight from the comics. But that doesn't mean its a good thing. I get no sense of a "Dark Knight" in those pictures. In fact, it looks like a 30 dollar halloween costume. I think the rubber suits definatly made Batman more imposing in the movies. Anyway, this just reinforces the joke in X-Men about wearing spandax. Without the abnormal physiques drawn in comic books, most heros look goofy
Is this enough of a comic book physique for you?

Yes, that is the man under the cowl.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-22-03 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, after spending about 3 hours d/ling the QT (Yes, crappy dial-up), I found that I didn't have the right 'decoder' and of course no other media software supports QT, so I had to D/L the QT software upgrade for another hour. It is now almost 3AM and I finally got to watch the short. All-in-all I found it enjoyable. I realize that it was a short and was intended to showcase the director/crew talent, but man it left me wanting more!!! I liked the costume except for the flimsy long sleeve shirt. When he was suiting up I felt that was very distracting... to used to the movie versions I guess. I loved the stand-up shot where his cape is all around him... that was awesome. I thought that the fight scenes were good, but that it was way too short. Batman fighting a Predator would take MUCH longer than that IMHO, and would involve more moving around, as someone mentioned before.

Now I have to get to sleep. Work in the morning you know.
Old 07-22-03, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Revoltor
Started out cool.

Then you know who pops out of nowhere and does you know what to the Joker.

It looked like bad sketch comedy.....but it wasn't.

I guess for something that's free, I really shouldn't complain but I can't say I enjoyed the whole thing. I like Batman, Aliens and Predators but not all together. I guess it was fun but incredibly stupid at the same time.

Oh well.

Exactly what I was thinking. Some good shots at the beginning but after the
Spoiler:
Aliens and Predators
showed up it sucked. How anyone can say this is the best Batman movie is beyond me.
Old 07-22-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was great. A great showcase of some talents and I approve of Bats costume (maybe if you didn't make it look so "cheap", he IS a millionaire after all). My GF hated the costume, but she's a huge fan of Burton's first movie. We both agreed the concept AND the actor who played Joker was far, far better than Jack in the movie.
Old 07-22-03, 09:12 AM

Very impressive! Everyone has some criticism, but for
the most part still it is VERY SWEET!

I wonder how much a small film like this cost to produce. I imagine this director will be signed by a studio?
Old 07-22-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the guy playing Bats was a little too short.

Last edited by Patman; 07-22-03 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DeputyDave
We both agreed the concept AND the actor who played Joker was far, far better than Jack in the movie.
I think Joker looks better/cooler in this one, but his acting was just bleh. There is no way this role surpasses Jack.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.