Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Passion" Trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Passion" Trailer

Old 07-18-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458

6) I think you mean Heberew doesn't have punctuation in it, I believe Greek does. And it's not a difficult language to read. Again,you may be thinking of Hebrew.
Nah, he's right. There's very little punctuation in the manuscript for the NT. IIRC punctuation became common in Greek around the 2nd century. Most modern texts, however, are edited to included upper and lower case as well as punctuation to facilitate reading.

(snip)...b/c Greek had no punctuation in it, so it is virtually impossible to interpret the tone of voice that was used by Jesus during many passages or even the tone used by the disciples.

That part, I don't follow.

Last edited by audrey; 07-18-03 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-18-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone clarify how "ecce h0mo" would be pronounced? Ekke or Etche? Thanks.
Old 07-18-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Parcher
Can anyone clarify how "ecce h0mo" would be pronounced? Ekke or Etche? Thanks.
I can’t speak to etche, but WRT ekke in classical pronunciation the Latin “e” typically is sounded as the English “eh” or “a” and the Latin “c” like “k” in English.
Old 07-18-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, thanks.

But etche ohmo sounds so much better....than ekke h0mo.
Old 07-18-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm no linguist, for sure. Ecce has a similar structure to bocce, which is pronounced "botchie". Not sure if the same rules would apply, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 07-18-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Stoolie
I'm no linguist, for sure. Ecce has a similar structure to bocce, which is pronounced "botchie". Not sure if the same rules would apply, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
But but...isn't bocce from a galaxy far, far away?
Old 07-18-03, 10:50 AM

Ill be there to see this one. Im leaning twords not having subtitles for this one because the visual experince alone looks really awesome. The stepping on the snake head was an awesome scene. And the pale chick looks pretty creepy.

Cant wait to see this one.
Old 07-18-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
But but...isn't bocce from a galaxy far, far away?
Yes, bocce is also from a galaxy far far away, though I hear it's difficult to find anyone who speaks it.
Old 07-18-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by reubs82

Also, to say that the Bible must be taken literally today does not hold b/c Greek had no punctuation in it, so it is virtually impossible to interpret the tone of voice that was used by Jesus during many passages or even the tone used by the disciples.

What I mean right here is no different than someone coming on here making a sarcastic post and not leaving any sort of indication that they are being sarcastic. Imagine how much easier these ancient texts would be to interpret if they had smilies or even an (!) or (?) following them. This of course is just something that I've thought about and talked over with my professors. Whether there is any scholarly work on that theory is unknown to me.
Old 07-18-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by reubs82
What I mean right here is no different than someone coming on here making a sarcastic post and not leaving any sort of indication that they are being sarcastic. Imagine how much easier these ancient texts would be to interpret if they had smilies or even an (!) or (?) following them. This of course is just something that I've thought about and talked over with my professors. Whether there is any scholarly work on that theory is unknown to me.

The Internet bible:

"Eloi! Eloi! "
Old 07-18-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LBPound
This kind of negative buzz is pretty outrageous.
Yeah I know. Whens the last time the mainstream audience said "This is too violent!"
Old 07-18-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I think I'll see this one.
Old 07-19-03, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Yeah I know. Whens the last time the mainstream audience said "This is too violent!"
good point. Usually this board has an orgasim when violence is discussed, even the genreal public gets off on it.

Now it's going to "ruin" Mel's film. Mark my words, this movie will be a target.
Old 07-19-03, 05:42 PM

Saw the trailer! I can't wait to see the film. I think Jim Caviezel was a good choice. He is a very good actor.
Old 07-20-03, 08:42 AM
Banned

does Mel even star in it?
Old 07-20-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mel is just directing it.
Old 07-22-03, 12:56 AM
Banned

Any body know where's the site with still pictures?
Old 07-22-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bdshort
Mel is just directing it.
I'm willing to bet he'll pop up somewhere as a Pharisee or a camel merchant or something.
Old 07-23-03, 09:33 PM
Banned

The trailer for 'The Passion' irritated me for many reasons. First, EVERYONE is white! Is there no concept of realism in Hollywood? I agree that this was perhaps done to make the film more marketable but I was at least looking for one movie where Jesus was played by an actor who looked like he could be from that part of the world, not pale skinned Irish lads with American accents!! I truly despise Mel Gibson's 'directing talents' but maybe he'll step up here. The lead actor is very underrated but all 'white boy' and that totally goes against the nature of the true story. Is there anyone who agrees? I am one of the few people who think that the entire 'Star Wars' series has only served to reinforce racial stereotypes and preconceived notions (the whole white versus black thing was taken to an alltime high in that series), and this new "The Passion" seems to suffer the same casting problems. I think Mel Gibson will succeed either way if people love or hate this movie to extremes. But if people are going to be indifferent toward it, then hes lost. And using music by Peter Gabriel who composed the soundtrack to the masterwork 'The Last Temptation of Christ' does NOT do the film any favors. That track should have stayed on the "Rabbit Proof Fence" soundtrack.
Old 07-23-03, 09:42 PM
Banned

By the way, I also found out that the film has been made in the language ARAMAIC and DOES NOT feature subtitles. Maybe some of you knew this but this is news to me. Do you think this is a wise, artistic decision or just Mel Gibson being sucky?
Old 07-23-03, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
I already know what the next DVDTALK scholar will nitpick about!!!

Why are there mostly White actors when they should all be middle eastern looking and dark skinned? Its the same thing as casting Tom Hanks as Saddam Hussein Wearing a T shirt saying dvdtalk!

Heh.. Some people can never be pleased unless its utterly perfect and Flawless
Old 07-23-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
No subtitles?

umm...i'm confused

ANYways...I wasn't really interested in seeing this flick...the trailer was ehh okay, I suppose. But, after seeing some reports on the "controversy" surrounding it and the so called "experts" denouncing it without even SEEING IT, i've decided it'll be good enough for a matinee viewing.

It's the least I could do for all the other entertaining movies that Mel's been a part of...
Old 07-24-03, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Cottington
The trailer for 'The Passion' irritated me for many reasons. First, EVERYONE is white! Is there no concept of realism in Hollywood? I agree that this was perhaps done to make the film more marketable but I was at least looking for one movie where Jesus was played by an actor who looked like he could be from that part of the world, not pale skinned Irish lads with American accents!! I truly despise Mel Gibson's 'directing talents' but maybe he'll step up here. The lead actor is very underrated but all 'white boy' and that totally goes against the nature of the true story. Is there anyone who agrees? I am one of the few people who think that the entire 'Star Wars' series has only served to reinforce racial stereotypes and preconceived notions (the whole white versus black thing was taken to an alltime high in that series), and this new "The Passion" seems to suffer the same casting problems. I think Mel Gibson will succeed either way if people love or hate this movie to extremes. But if people are going to be indifferent toward it, then hes lost. And using music by Peter Gabriel who composed the soundtrack to the masterwork 'The Last Temptation of Christ' does NOT do the film any favors. That track should have stayed on the "Rabbit Proof Fence" soundtrack.
Yeah! And what about casting an acutal human being in the role of Satan?! What's that all about? You mean to tell me there are no good demons available for the part? Yeah...Mel is soooooo Racist!!!
Old 07-24-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cottington
I am one of the few people who think that the entire 'Star Wars' series has only served to reinforce racial stereotypes and preconceived notions (the whole white versus black thing was taken to an alltime high in that series)
Funniest stuff I've read in a long time. Thanks.
Old 07-24-03, 07:32 PM
Banned

"I find this sad," said ADL National Director Abraham Foxman, who hasn't been permitted to see the movie. "Here's a man who appeals to the mass audience, but he feels he has to surround himself with a cordon sanitaire of people who back him theologically and maybe ideologically and will stand up and be supportive when the time comes. My request still stands: I would like to see the movie, and if it turns out I was wrong, I'll be the first to say so."

What's really sad about Foxman is his last sentence. What loser attacks a movie without having seen it first (like Jesse Jackson with Barbershop). How can you respect a guy like Foxman?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.