Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen LXG and care to give their review?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone seen LXG and care to give their review?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The movie was "eh!"

It wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't bone jarring bad. There were moments of enjoyment, some good laughs, some decent action, but also a pretty wooden by the number story line and too little characterization across the board.

I've read that the flooding in Prague during the shoot actually changed some of the stuff they were originally going to do, any idea how?
Old 07-13-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It was a decent film... wasn't bad, but something fun to watch to pass the time. Although i'm sure i enjoyed it more knowing who most of the characters were while my friends didn't, which made Dorian Gray a lot more interesting to me. Some nice effects, although none of the characters were very developed. It was annoying watching them pan across the Nautilus over and over again though.
Old 07-14-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this movie was just slightly above average. Decent action, great characters with too little to do, disappointing antagonist.
Old 07-14-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Why was there....
Spoiler:
a grave for Quartermaine, before he left Africa?
Old 07-14-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
Why was there....
Spoiler:
a grave for Quartermaine, before he left Africa?
Spoiler:
I believe it was the grave of his son, who as we learn during the movie, he was unable to save from, well, death.

K
Old 07-14-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Spoiler:
I believe it was the grave of his son, who as we learn during the movie, he was unable to save from, well, death.

K
Ah.. cool, thanks.. would have been nice if it wasn't just his last name.
Old 07-14-03, 01:36 PM

i really enjoyed Gray and Mina's character............and Nemo was a fighting machine...................but that's about the extent of my enjoyment
Old 07-16-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had really high hopes for LXG...with Connery, Norrington and the source, I thought it could be something special.

LXG blew goats... a whole herd of them. The action was cut to ****... couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on, because they'd jump from angle to angle so fast, without reason (except to make it seem "frantic" or "action packed"... you could tell they didn't really plan out the editing of these scenes while they were shooting...seemed like random cutting to cover the gaps etc.... quite ******** if you ask me)

They made most of the characters dull and really missed some great opportunities.... Extraordinary my ass... anyone thinking of seeing this movie should do themselves a favour and go see Pirates instead.

MATT
Old 07-16-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jonpeters
I for one, liked the Hyde FX. The use of prostectics and CG, worked out pretty well. The transformation process was a unique touch.
wow...that must have been my LEAST favourite part... the transformation scene was extremely crappy... switching angles as they switch to a different prosthetic....eh... I mean, even movies 20 years ago had better make up effects than these transitions... and the way it was cut was so mickey mouse... I thought I was watching a 13 year old's home movie.... I was enjoying parts of the movie until this, then it just fell to crap... also, since Jekyll and Hyde is one of my favourite novels, I guess I was just disappointed with the way both characters were depicted.

MATT
Old 07-16-03, 12:35 PM
Suspended

ehhh. I saw it yesterday, basically a mindlessly silly action film. I wouldnt say it was horrible because there things I did like. Beard man, Hulk Man & Bat Lady were all pretty cool. The Indiana Jones wannabe character was pretty damn lousy. Connery is way to old to kicking people's asses on screen
Old 07-16-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
LXG

I watched the movie and like it... But I cant remember if they showed Mina's reflection in makeup mirror? If they didnt maybe it was sort of a reflex thingie... you know things women do.

Im thinking she is it out of habit. but i cant remember if they showed her face. =)

just a thought.
Old 07-16-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw it today and was totally disappointed. Too many problems to name just one. I was looking forward to the DVD before the film began. That $5.25 saved me $19.99. The Jekyll/Hyde thing was absolutely ridiculous. At the start of the film when he's introduced, he's still wearing a top hat as Hyde. It was big enough to fit his head. Did he poor the potion on it as well as drink it? (The American kid picks it up after Hyde's capture)

Mina was the best character in the film. Not really saying much as the film on the whole is one huge stinking turd. The invisible dud(e) was more annoying than he was entertaining and the whole "I'm The Phantom" thing was utterly stupid. And another thing, Do all the American characters have to be so John Wayne-esque in these kinds of films? The matte work was really obvious throughout, and the film was at times far too dark to make anything out of whatwas going on onscreen.

I tried to find something recemptive in this two hour pile of gob shite but I am wholly unable to.

What a waste. Of the films I have seen this year, this is easily the worst.
Old 07-16-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Saw it. If it weren't for the fact that it totally crapped all over everything about the comic in terms of characters, I would consider it a good action movie. As it is, it offers little more than a few cheap thrills and some rather impressive production design.
The good:
-Captian Nemo was a great bad a$$.

-The Jekyll/Hyde deal was well done in terms of the internal conflict.

-Mina Harker was pretty hot.

The bad:
-Just about everything else in this movie falls into either bad or ugly.
I just hope that if they do a rumored R rated DVD that restores Norrington's "vision", they do it immediately and don't do a DVD with the theatrical and one with the rated R a few months down the road to drain people like me for all we're worth.
(Yeah, like that's gonna happen!)
The characters at which they failed the worst were Mina, Quartermain, and the Invisible Man. Mina was not a vampire, and if she were she would never have taken pleasure in killing people, even bad guys. Quartermain was a good character but very lacking in the self-esteem department, not to mention a drug addict; Connery obviously thought he needed to make him a cool hero instead. The Invisible Man was the original scientist in the comic, and was by no means a good person. One of the more poignant moments in the comic was him brutally murdering a policeman simply because he could get away with it.
I give the movie a C, and it's lucky to get that from me. Formulaic to the max, not faithful to the source, and only moderately entertaining as a stand alone movie.

One qustion though:
Spoiler:
Was that Mina operating the recording device in M's office during the bad guy's "exposition" of everything he intends to do? If so, why would she not recall what they said or be in on the scam in some way?

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-16-03 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
One qustion though:
Spoiler:
Was that Mina operating the recording device in M's office during the bad guy's "exposition" of everything he intends to do? If so, why would she not recall what they said or be in on the scam in some way?
Spoiler:
Huh? I was under the impression that she was in the room with LXG. I seriously can't even remember much of this movie so I'm having a hard time remembering this scene, or much of anything. We're talking about the scene where they're watching M and Dorian Grey explain everything, right?

K
Old 07-16-03, 04:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

My summary: A whole lot of noise signifying nothing.
Old 07-16-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Spoiler:
Huh? I was under the impression that she was in the room with LXG. I seriously can't even remember much of this movie so I'm having a hard time remembering this scene, or much of anything. We're talking about the scene where they're watching M and Dorian Grey explain everything, right?

K
Yes, it's a quick shot at the beginning of the exposition.
Old 07-19-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Saw this tonight - I thought it was poo. As bad as Wild Wild West if not worse.
Old 07-19-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw it lastnight and I can't think of one redeeming factor.... Ugh. I enjoyed 'Pirates Of..' a lot more.
Old 07-19-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll be generous and give this ** out of *****. I won't go into what I didn't like, because several of you have. I liked Nemo and I liked seeing Peta Wilson on screen - she definitely needs to work more. The intro was probably the best part of the movie for me, too.

Last edited by B.A.; 07-19-03 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-19-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about the production of the film. Here are some highlights:

With $17 million of the film's budget committed to Connery, the producers didn't have the resources to hire other familiar faces to round out the cast.
"But as brilliant as the graphic novel is, it is not a movie," said the film's screenwriter, James Dale Robinson, who also is a top comic book author. "And unfortunately, the reading level of the world has declined, so [introducing the literary characters] was something that had to be dealt with head-on."
The film's original script called for the turn-of-the-century League to prevent a flesh-eating poison gas from being introduced into New York's fledgling subway system. "But after Sept. 11, [the studio] said, 'You know what? This could actually happen,' " Robinson said.
[A colleague of Norrington's] said the director, who declined to be interviewed, was uncomfortable working with large teams of actors and crew and bristled under studio supervision.
[According to two people who worked on "League"] Norrington supervised editing only three of the film's seven reels. While Norrington did offer some post-production input and suggestions, they said, he opted out of some of the traditional roles played by directors during a film's editing — adding new visual effects, presenting the film to the studio, and incorporating or fighting the studio's notes.
"The studio wanted something a little bit flashier, more of a summer movie," screenwriter Robinson said. "Stephen wanted something that was more introspective. I was relieved to find out that even though the complexity of the characters had been whittled down, the shadings of those complications still remained."
The whole article can be found at http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/c...n14jul14.story

I guess this a case of could have been. And a bit of that article seems to suggest (unintentionally, of course) that the reason the intro of the film was so enjoyable for those of you that have seen the film is due to the fact that Norrington was involved directly in the editing of the first part of the movie.
Old 07-20-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Saw it today (matinee price) and enjoyed it. Not great or high art, but heaps better than what most the critics said. I really wanted to see it, then saw all those negative reviews on rottentomatoes, and almost passed. Thought maybe it was another "Tomb Raider". Thankfully (for me), it wasn't. It was much better IMO. I'd give it *** out of ****. And yes, "Pirates" was better and I would recommend that one over this. But it's a decent summer action/adventure.
Old 07-30-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I saw it last night, and I had to wonder about a few things. Why did the Invisible Man's stubble show up as dark when he put on make-up?

Why did a vampire who could heal from any wound need reading glasses?

And was(Spoilers)

M really James Moriarty, Connery says something along the lines of "Aren't you dead?" And Moriarty replies "I was, but I was reborn" or something like that, then they get interuppted. What the heck happened there?