Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates vs. LXG (who will fare better this week?)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Pirates vs. LXG, which will do better?
Pirates of the Carribean
83.51%
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
9.28%
Neither, they both look like crap!
7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

In terms of the week, Pirates definitely has the edge as it opens tomorrow. It might boil down to whether or not people want to see a new swashbuckler with Orlando Bloom or an old one with Sean Connery.
LXG looks like it's not even going to be a decent popcorn movie. It looks like they took some old script from another action movie and put literary heroes in it. I already know it will totally disregard the source material written by Alan Moore. Shame. I hope I'm wrong. I hope they keep the essence in tact and deliver a nice matinee style movie, but it just doesn't look like it will come to pass.
So...I'll give the edge to the pirates. Of course the possibility exists that both of these will be stinkbombs.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-08-03 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Frankly I'm rooting for T3.
Old 07-08-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voted Pirates.

A big budget film, with much hype (slightly more than LXG), possible eye candy for the ladies with Depp and Bloom, and a film that has the possibility of being "different." (Not many Pirate movies of late.)

Personally, if I see either, it'll be LXG.
Old 07-08-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LXG looks like a big pile of steaming crap. I can't make any sense of it from the several different trailers/ads I've seen.

Has Sean Connery been promoting it at all? I was out of town for a week and haven't been watching the talk shows.
Old 07-08-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm going to Pirates tomorrow night and LXG for a Sunday matinee. Considering I am paying full price for Pirates I can scientifically determine that that Pirates will make 32% more money.
Old 07-08-03, 05:34 PM
Banned

I will go see Pirates this week and not see LXG ever in my lifetime. So, I guess Pirates wins.
Old 07-08-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm going to see both but I'm giving in the edge to Pirates simply because it will have a couple extra days to score cash. For the last couple days though i've seen tons of ads for League and almost nothing for Pirates which strikes me as odd.
Old 07-08-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
LXG looks like a big pile of steaming crap. I can't make any sense of it from the several different trailers/ads I've seen.
This is funny. When we get trailers like the one for Italian Job where everything is given away, we go, "thanks now I know what happens" and call it crap. Now we get these ones from LXG where we don't know what goes on, and it's still crap. There really IS no pleasing everyone these days.

On topic: Voted Pirates (you know screaming teenage girls who can't wait 'til December are gonna go see Orlando Bloom on the big screen.) Plus it's got more of a familiarity going for it with the average moviegoer cuz of the ride in Disneyland.

But I'll see both anyway.
Old 07-08-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
This is funny. When we get trailers like the one for Italian Job where everything is given away, we go, "thanks now I know what happens" and call it crap. Now we get these ones from LXG where we don't know what goes on, and it's still crap. There really IS no pleasing everyone these days.
How about a trailer that gives some idea what the movie might be about, without giving away too much?
Old 07-08-03, 06:22 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is bashing LXG. No one has even seen it yet. Do the trailers really give away that much?
Old 07-08-03, 06:24 PM
mwj

This is funny. When we get trailers like the one for Italian Job where everything is given away, we go, "thanks now I know what happens" and call it crap. Now we get these ones from LXG where we don't know what goes on, and it's still crap. There really IS no pleasing everyone these days,
I really don't think LXG's commercials have been well done. Most don't even tell who the characters are and, except for Connery, who's playing them. I predict that Pirates will do better because Depp and Bloom will draw better. If I go I will see LXG.
Old 07-08-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

LXG looks better. I'm going to be the minority voice here and voting for LXG to do better than Pirates.
Old 07-08-03, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Jason1973
I'm not sure why everyone is bashing LXG. No one has even seen it yet. Do the trailers really give away that much?
No, just the opposite. The LXG trailer doesn't do enough to show what the movie is about.

I heard that Connery accepted this role because he didn't understand it when he read the script. (Apparently, he was offered some roles in the Matrix and Lord of the Rings which he turned down, because he didn't understand the scripts, and seeing how successful those became, decided maybe he should take a chance on something he didn't understand. Let's see if it pays off for him).
Old 07-08-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the LXG comics, but the movies have apparently ditched everything but the basic concept in favor of slam bang Hollywood nonsense. I knew it was going to be in trouble when they added Tom Sawyer to "Americanize" it and threw out the original plot and adversary. Never mind that Sean Connery's character is supposed to be a decrepit opium addict and Mina Harker is NOT a vampire in the comics. I'll definitely check it out on video because I'm curious to see how it ended up, but nothing about the movie or its terrible ad campaign so far makes me want to plop down $10 in a theater to see it.
Old 07-08-03, 07:11 PM

Here's a review for pirates from MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/934790.asp?0dm=L18WL
Old 07-08-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by BassDude
(Not many Pirate movies of late.)
There's a reason for that.

But anywho, it has to be Pirates. It has Depp, the heartthrob for slightly older ladies and Bloom, the heartthrob for teenage girls....and LXG based on the trailers looks like this years Batman and Robin.

Personally, I'm not in a hurry to catch either.
Old 07-08-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they both kick ass.
Old 07-08-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as of Tuesday night, July 8 - - -
"Pirates of Caribbean" has 22 fresh and only 2 rotten.

I want to see both though.

I don't care for Sean Connery anymore but LXG is too interesting
of an idea (with the comic) to pass up.
Old 07-08-03, 07:57 PM

So far Pirates is running 92% Fresh at rottentomatoes.

I think Pirates looks better, and will do more business.
Old 07-08-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll voted Pirates of The Carrabian simply because it is playing on more screens. I'm planning to see LXG
Old 07-08-03, 08:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Pirates.

I think LXG will bomb.
Old 07-08-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pirates in a landslide.
Old 07-08-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They both look like crap to me. Wow, Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp. For me that's not reason enough to see a movie. Keira Knightly tho. . .who knows, I may see the film after all.

LXG has no redeeming factors, so it seems.
Old 07-08-03, 09:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The League ads remind me of ads for The Avengers, with a twist of Wild Wild West. That is, a big expensive weird pile of crap. Not good. It's an interesting concept, but as soon as I saw the trailer I wanted to see it LESS.

Now, when I read about Pirates I laughed. After the horrid Mission to Mars and Country Bears, they're doing another movie based on a ride? Ha! Then I saw the trailer, and thought, "This actually might be pretty good". So I'll be there.
Old 07-08-03, 10:08 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Why don't they call it LEG?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.