Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Old 06-05-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alien 5 - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's best we not speak of AvP.
I'll speak of it any day, proudly defending it for the nice piece of schlock that it is.

It's the sequel that needs to take a long walk off a short pier.
Old 06-05-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved the underwater scene in A4 too but hated everything else.

AVP:R was okay. Still has some decent action and is better than A4.

AVP just went too far making the predator friendly with the woman. But the flashback scene of the Predator with the alien queen head atop the pyramid is so badass.

Prometheus, I dunno. I'm hoping the sequel can somehow make more sense.

Alien 5: Eh, I might be interested in the Alien: Isolation story with a cameo by Weaver. But the series needs a reboot and Prometheus wasn't it.
Old 06-05-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually watched Alien Resurrection again recently to see if I still hated it and yep, I still hated it. It has some good ideas and set pieces and you can desperately tell that there is a better movie trying to get out. While I liked how it was shot, the look, the scene of the Aliens killing another to escape, testing on humans and Kim Flowers sexy butt and cute feet. It's brought down by ideas like:

-Ripley being a clone who somehow has the memories of the original Ripley.

-Ripley having super powers.

- A boring cast of space pirates.

-Ripley having sex with an alien.

-The idea of the newborn and the look of the newborn. It looks like a really, really, really, really, really, really early Pumpkinhead sketch from a napkin. And after seeing the original design, I'm impressed that it looks even stupider.

After reading about how much more interesting Alien 3 could have been, and the many better scripts for Alien vs Predator I can't think of a more mismanaged series by a studio.
Old 06-05-14, 04:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The William Gibson draft for Alien 3 would have pissed off a lot more people than the Alien 3 we actually got. While it does follow Newt and Hicks, which is a plus, it turns the aliens into these spore creatures and it is all really silly.

And for AvP, all they had to do to make the most badass movie ever was adapt the original comic. The original comic has a great story, characters you care about, and some balls to the wall action.
Old 06-05-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but did it have a teen love story? Because that's really what audiences wanted.
Old 06-05-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I'll speak of it any day, proudly defending it for the nice piece of schlock that it is.

Well, I will agree that the second one was worse but I still couldn't get into the first one. And I like schlocky movies because, usually, they don't take themselves too serious.
Old 06-05-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Well, I will agree that the second one was worse but I still couldn't get into the first one. And I like schlocky movies because, usually, they don't take themselves too serious.
That's the reason I can enjoy AVP more than Alien 3 or Resurrection. It never set out to be anything other than enjoyable schlock, and it generally succeeded at that. The other two tried to be real movies, legitimate entries in the series. They both have their moments, but each one is a fucking mess, while AVP is a much tighter and well-oiled machine that at least knows what the hell it wants to be.

I remember there was a lot of anti-Paul Anderson sentiment around the time AVP was released, but I've talked to quite a few people who gave it another chance in recent years and were surprised at how much they enjoyed it. (I remember James Cameron giving interviews, badmouthing the movie before he had seen it, ranting about how Fox was ruining the series. When he finally saw it, he said he loved it and would rank it third in the Alien series.) I think the people who insist that Alien 3 and/or Resurrection deserve re-evaluating should do the same with AVP, as long as they go into it expecting Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man rather than Frankenstein or The Wolf Man.

AVP2, on the other hand, isn't Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. It's not even Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park. It's the worst episode of Dawson's Creek ever filmed, with the most insufferable and unlikable bunch of jackoffs occasionally stumbling upon two monsters fighting in action scenes that you can't even see because the director, editor, DP, and lighting guy were all too incompetent to shoot a shampoo commercial, let alone a modern thriller movie. I'll step up to defend AVP, but AVP2 is on its own.
Old 06-05-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

-Ripley having sex with an alien.
Huh? I thought they were just holding each other? Aliens are asexual, with exception to the hybrid.
Old 06-06-14, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Huh? I thought they were just holding each other? Aliens are asexual, with exception to the hybrid.
They're all designed by Giger though, so they're phallic beyond description.
Old 06-06-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Where does babby come from?!
For answers to that and other related questions, come visit us in the Adult Talk forum
Old 06-06-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
While I liked how it was shot, the look, the scene of the Aliens killing another to escape, testing on humans and Kim Flowers sexy butt and cute feet. It's brought down by ideas like
I also liked Kim Flowers and that particular scene. The scene where Ripley finds the other clones was good.

-The idea of the newborn and the look of the newborn. It looks like a really, really, really, really, really, really early Pumpkinhead sketch from a napkin. And after seeing the original design, I'm impressed that it looks even stupider.
I agree. I also wasn't that impressed with Whedon's descripton of what the albino alien was supposed to look like.

Originally Posted by Xander
I liked the Ripley clone, I like the ragtag pirate crew. I liked the idea that the company was still trying to weaponize the alien using Ripley's DNA. Then it all falls off a cliff.
It never felt believable to me that this film took place 200 years after Aliens. In the second film it's mentioned by the marines about going on "another bug hunt," and "Arcturian poontang." So only 50 years after Alien, other species, insect like and humanoid, have been discovered. Inhospitable planets have been colonized. Yet in Resurrection there's no mention or glimpses of any significant changes or advances in the universe. And on top of that the aliens are still that sought after?
Old 06-06-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. I also wasn't that impressed with Whedon's descripton of what the albino alien was supposed to look like.

Do tell.
Old 06-06-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Do tell.
This is from the script:

An alien, to be sure, but nothing we've seen so far, its forelegs arch
out of its back like spiders legs, its back legs set on enormous
haunches, thick and powerful.
Its head is long, eyeless, like the others, but along its white expanse
red veins, coming out of the skin and running like thick black hairs to
the back.
It has retracted pincers at the side of head that come out when its
tongue does.
Its much bigger the the others, nearly the size of the queen herself.
And it's bone white

pincers SWING out and pin either side of his head.. His eyes go wide as: Its tongue SHOOTS into his throat. Stays there, and we watch it drain the blood from his body. We can see it, see its stomach swell, red tinged, as his body goes

The aliens, as created by HR Giger were already visually interesting because of their intricate, bio-mechanical design and also that they were somewhat humanoid in appearance which made them look more disturbing. Were they a species or a weapon created by The Pilot's race? If anything they should've further highlighted the mechanical part of their look.

The description in the script of the hybrid sounds too much like a monster, and would give the impression, visually, of being less intelligent. And why drain the blood? That's just how it feeds? I liked what was implied with the first and second films. The alien is the perfect weapon, adaptable to any environment. It doesn't kill to eat, but to survive and ensure it's dominance. Or if you go by the deleted Alien cocoon scene, their purpose is to transform their surroundings to reflect themselves, which would explain turning humans into eggs, and the wall secretions.
Old 06-06-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
This is from the script:

An alien, to be sure, but nothing we've seen so far, its forelegs arch
out of its back like spiders legs, its back legs set on enormous
haunches, thick and powerful.
Its head is long, eyeless, like the others, but along its white expanse
red veins, coming out of the skin and running like thick black hairs to
the back.
It has retracted pincers at the side of head that come out when its
tongue does.
Its much bigger the the others, nearly the size of the queen herself.
And it's bone white

pincers SWING out and pin either side of his head.. His eyes go wide as: Its tongue SHOOTS into his throat. Stays there, and we watch it drain the blood from his body. We can see it, see its stomach swell, red tinged, as his body goes

The aliens, as created by HR Giger were already visually interesting because of their intricate, bio-mechanical design and also that they were somewhat humanoid in appearance which made them look more disturbing. Were they a species or a weapon created by The Pilot's race? If anything they should've further highlighted the mechanical part of their look.

The description in the script of the hybrid sounds too much like a monster, and would give the impression, visually, of being less intelligent. And why drain the blood? That's just how it feeds? I liked what was implied with the first and second films. The alien is the perfect weapon, adaptable to any environment. It doesn't kill to eat, but to survive and ensure it's dominance. Or if you go by the deleted Alien cocoon scene, their purpose is to transform their surroundings to reflect themselves, which would explain turning humans into eggs, and the wall secretions.
In that case I like the theatrical monster that was filmed, which looks like an actual hybrid creature.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-06-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I liked what was implied with the first and second films. The alien is the perfect weapon, adaptable to any environment. It doesn't kill to eat, but to survive and ensure it's dominance.
Old 06-06-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah, I bought the two pack of the AVP films on Blu-ray not too long ago. While not great Alien Vs. Predator is sort of a fun time. It's a step down from the original Predator and the first two Alien films, but I like it for what it is and the Scar Predator is pretty badass. Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem on the other hand is terrible.
Old 06-06-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whedon has been pretty outspoken about his distaste for the rewrites done to his drafts of AR. Apparently quite a bit was changed from his work into the final film.

AVP is unpretentious junk, it's nothing memorable and hardly a patch on the franchise three truly great films, but it's a passable way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon that's not as bad as people make it out to be. AVP-R is horrid in so many ways-incomprehensibly shot, gratuitously explicit, and full of annoying slasher movie victims for characters, and even most of the FX and set pieces are dull. Why exactly the AVP series can't command directors of a higher caliber, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Kmical
For answers to that and other related questions, come visit us in the Adult Talk forum
Hey, hey, hey! Virgin eyes, man! Virgin eyes .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-07-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Whedon has been pretty outspoken about his distaste for the rewrites done to his drafts of AR. Apparently quite a bit was changed from his work into the final film.
Whedon says they kept it mostly the same, but just executed it poorly:

It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines... mostly... but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do.
It's funny that he blames the movie's failings on everyone but himself. Most of the plot's stupidities came from him and him alone, and he should be thanking the cast for being able to deliver his terrible dialogue and actually somewhat sell it. Despite his problems with the cast, their reading of his dialogue, the design, and the score, it's those elements that make the movie watchable. The movie is tolerable despite Whedon, not because of him. He's the worst thing about it, and his attempt to pawn off the blame on everyone else is reprehensible.

They should try to get Scott, Cameron, and Whedon all back to work on a new movie together, if anything just to see what kind of fireworks erupt when you put three delusional egomaniacs in a room together.
Old 06-06-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

It's funny that he blames the movie's failings on everyone but himself. Most of the plot's stupidities came from him and him alone, and he should be thanking the cast for being able to deliver his terrible dialogue and actually somewhat sell it. Despite his problems with the cast, their reading of his dialogue, the design, and the score, it's those elements that make the movie watchable. The movie is tolerable despite Whedon, not because of him. He's the worst thing about it, and his attempt to pawn off the blame on everyone else is reprehensible.
I remember reading the Alien Resurrection script before the movie came out (thank you, Drew's Script-o-rama!) and thought it was piece of shit.

Actually, if it had just been the space pirates and soldiers, the film wouldn't have been too bad. But forcing Ripley into it (after she was pretty definitively killed in the previous movie) with some laughably bad science killed the whole thing for me.
Old 06-07-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread inspired me to watch AR again - for the first time in seven years! Well, it still sucks. But the basketball thing was funny, forgot about that.

I will also watch A3 this weekend if I have time. I haven't seen it in 2-3 years.
Old 01-02-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Neill Blomkamp released some concept art of what his ALIEN film would have looked like...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...oject-20150102

Anything would be better than Elysium and Chappie.
Old 01-02-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Elysium was an entertaining movie based on a shooter videogame that never was. Nothing remarkable but nothing terrible either. Is Chappie out already?
Old 01-02-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Elysium was an entertaining movie based on a shooter videogame that never was. Nothing remarkable but nothing terrible either. Is Chappie out already?
No, but I know they've had private screenings and I think devil works at a studio or something similar.
Old 01-02-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Would love to see a Blomkamp Alien movie.

One thing I will credit AR with is obviously planting the seeds for the concept of the Firefly series with the crew of smugglers.
Old 01-02-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Pictures aren't coming up for me ... are they worth seeking out?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.