Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

At least one theater gets it!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

At least one theater gets it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Another thing some theaters are doing is having special "Baby-Friendly" showings to encourage people with small kids to go to those screenings instead of the general admission. From what I understand, they are wildly successful and help keep kids out of the other shows. Seems like a good compromise.
Harkins theaters in AZ has started putting child care centers in movie theaters. I think it's costs like $6 per kid per movie. YOu can dump the kids off there and pick them up when you are done. That's a great compromise because I don't have to hear them.

It also has to do with the movie, though. I went and saw Finding Nemo on a weekend afternoon. I fully expected there to be kids there and understood that there were. I raised my tolerance for them and was able to enjoy the movie. When I see small children at an R movie on a Saturday night around 11:00 I get pissed. I purposely go to late flicks to avoid children and there they still are. Not to mention, that is also very poor parenting.
Old 07-06-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stevek - good summary - I'm also a KC resident, and have been to the Cinemark Palace a lot.

It is indeed not a "residential" area, but in an upscale, adult-oriented shopping/restaurant area.

The "racist" charges are due to the fact that there is a higher percentage of African-American population in the area, but there are also "rich whites" in the area where their kids would "suffer" from not being able to attend.

If it is discriminatory, it is "age discrimination" against kids.

Personally? I like the idea of going to a theater like this, I just wish there were a way to filter out the adult boors who talk during a movie.
Old 07-06-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great policy. I can't believe the number of idiot parents who brought their screaming brats to the Saturday matinee of Finding Nemo. Really ruined it for my wife and I.
Old 07-06-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
My rule would be - no children after 7PM will be admitted into a theater. A 2 hour movie would put them past their bed time anyway. Parents - if you can afford a movie ticket and a tub of popcorn, you can afford a babysitter for 3 hours. I like the idea of an adult theater, but I can't think of many places such a theater would survive. I'm sure the alcohol helps.

I agree and this post could not have been posted sooner.

When I saw Hulk last Saturday some parents with their bored kid who wanted to make noises was sitting in the front of the theater. They did NOTHING to quiet him even with people "Shhh-ing" them.

I guess they were immune to him.
Old 07-06-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
and if anyone thinks this idea is new then they haven't heard of "adult-only"(non-nudist) beaches on resorts.
Old 07-06-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I saw Terminator 3 on Thursday there was an elderly couple behind me and they were talking at several points during the movie. I propose that we ban everyone 55 and older from now on. If they can afford a bucket of popcorn and a soda, they can afford to placed in a home.
Old 07-06-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
When I saw Terminator 3 on Thursday there was an elderly couple behind me and they were talking at several points during the movie. I propose that we ban everyone 55 and older from now on. If they can afford a bucket of popcorn and a soda, they can afford to placed in a home.
No... they can afford a dvd player and premium cable channels.

I'm all about equality. STFU works for the young and old.
Old 07-06-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Another thing some theaters are doing is having special "Baby-Friendly" showings to encourage people with small kids to go to those screenings instead of the general admission. From what I understand, they are wildly successful and help keep kids out of the other shows. Seems like a good compromise.
Great idea. I'm sure a lot of people who want to take children to movies are more comfortable if they know they're not being disruptive. Calling it "baby friendly" is just a nice way of saying "monster friendly".

On the other hand, though, having screenings geared towards noisy kids just reinforces that it's okay to be a heathen in public.
Old 07-06-03, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
When I see small children at an R movie on a Saturday night around 11:00 I get pissed. I purposely go to late flicks to avoid children and there they still are. Not to mention, that is also very poor parenting.
Funny you should say that. I saw Road to Perdition at 11:30pm on a weeknight and some couple brought their kid who couldn't have been more than 3 years old. Needless to say the kid ruined the enitre movie for eveyone in the theater. I mean, Road to Perdition! At 11:30pm! On a weeknight! What are you thinking?
Old 07-06-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem here is how many lousy parents think:

Babysitter = 3 hrs x $7/hr = $21
Child's ticket to R rated film = $5.50
Good Parenting = $0 (worthless or who cares how my child turns out if I can save a buck)

This theater has a good solution. Keep bored children who will disrupt other paying customers out of the theater. They are smart enough to know that if the parent is lousy enough to bring their <6 year old to a PG-13 or R rated film then they will not bother to shut them up when they start acting up due to lack of interest in the movie.
Old 07-06-03, 08:36 PM

Kids aren't a problem most of the time when i go to a movie. Only once in recent memory has a kid started crying (Matrix Reloaded i believe...wtf) and the entire theater growling in rage shut that kid up fast.

Teenagers and rude adults are the real disruptions at the films I attend and there really isn't any way to prevent that. That's why unless a movie looks exceptional to me or my friends drag me I rarely go to the theaters.
Old 07-06-03, 09:18 PM

Excellent. Now all that needs to happen is take the battery off of peoples cell phones before they are allowed to enter the theater. People who do not know how to act at a movie annoy me to no end.
Old 07-06-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

* As some of these aforementioned teenagers happen to be African-American, charges of racism have been leveled at Cinemark in the paper by some local residents. It's gotten a little ugly, but Cinemark doesn't appear to be backing down.
That's interesting, since the white trash idiot brats of Kansas City do their part and more to make movie going as unenjoyable as it can be as well. (I am from KC as well)

This also reminded me of something a lady at work told me (and she is black as well, so it wasn't like coming from her in a racist way) but she was talking about how Raytown used to have this really nice theater but black teenagers started to hang around there, yell during the movies, rip things up in the theater, and all this bad stuff that eventually caused the theater to close down. Of course, I don't blame race for it, because as I mentioned, there are plenty of white trash that act just as moronicly in a theater. Of course, there are always those that see racism in anything and everything, even when that's not the case. If they were letting little white children into the theater, then they would have a good case on their hands, but from the sound of it, ALL children are not allowed in the theater. No case at all!
Old 07-06-03, 09:27 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Not A N00b
Excellent. Now all that needs to happen is take the battery off of peoples cell phones before they are allowed to enter the theater. People who do not know how to act at a movie annoy me to no end.
Where I see most of my movies, the theater is shielded somehow so cellphones won't work. Saves me from remembering to turn mine to silent (which I always do anyway, thank you very much.)
Old 07-06-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Not A N00b
At the Kerasotes-owned theater I frequent, before starting a film, an usher asks that everyone w/ a phone/pager turn it off or turn it to silent and if they need to answer it to do it in the hall. Honestly, since they started doing this last year, the phone-problem in the theater has decreased by 95%. It's very rarely a problem now. I for one am happy it has worked out so well. I wish the same could be said for people bringing their little ones to films that have no business doing so - I have noticed an annoying increase in this over the last several months. It's been driving me nuts.
Old 07-07-03, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Thank you for turning off your cellphones and children before the start of the feature."

Old 07-07-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this remind anyone else of the Adult Dentist episode of Seinfeld?
Old 07-07-03, 08:39 AM

Cell phones go off at least onece every time i go to see a movie. Anyway i saw Charlie's Angels on Friday and some couple decided to bring their baby(dunno how old maybe a year old?) and all i kept thinking is this can't be good for the kid's ears- even i got headache it was so loud!?! What are people thinking?!?
Old 07-07-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent idea. Please bring it to New York.
Old 07-07-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to go to a theater like this one. Hell, I'd be happy if the theaters in my town had the "Cry Baby Matinees" like ones in Dallas. I can't stand to see a child at a R-rated movie at night. That's just poor parenting.
Old 07-07-03, 10:12 AM
Banned

I am in full approval of this. Esp. since the theater is taking the stance of not showing anything that would be geared specifically for kids anyway.

If you can't afford a babysitter, you can't afford the movie either. Or you can go to the kid friendly theater down the street. Free market, hey?

I wish they had one like this around here. I'd probably go to more movies, especially if I could buy a beer there.
Old 07-07-03, 10:35 AM

Now that would be a nightmare for someone that didn't have a kid or realize that it was the babies turn for a movie. A couple kids is bad enough without a designated time for themt to cry the place silly... oh the horror.

As far as the original article, I'm loving it. Someone posted that not every kid screams and makes a scene, but how do the people selling tickets know that?

Ticket seller: "Sir, does your child scream during movies?"
Ticker buyer: "No, never has."
Ticket seller: "Here's your ticket"

**next person**

Ticket seller: "Sir, does your child scream during movies?"
Ticket buyer: "Every single time."
Ticket seller: "I'm sorry you can't bring your kid in then."

If you just make a generic rule that covers all the bases then it's cool. I love the rule, and hope that it catches on to theaters near me. It's one of the three reasons that I rarely ever go to the theaters.
Old 07-07-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Excellent idea. I would go to this theater.

There were at least 10 children under the age of 5 in the matinee showing of "Terminator 3" I saw on Sunday.

Unbelievable. Thankfully, only 3 or 4 of them made any noise. I'm sure the rest were enjoying all the explosions.

We are seeing as many movies as possible between now and when my wife has our first child this winter, simply because we know that a movie outing is going to be very rare for us for a long time.
Old 07-07-03, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Bechman 2000
Now that would be a nightmare for someone that didn't have a kid or realize that it was the babies turn for a movie. A couple kids is bad enough without a designated time for themt to cry the place silly... oh the horror.
Well, I think the idea is that these are well advertised and at "off-times" so that the chances of this happening are minimal.
Old 07-07-03, 12:20 PM

Great idea, it would have been perfect for me this past weekend. Imagine watching T3 with a SCREAMING INFANT behind you the WHOLE F*N MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of a f**king MORON brings an infant to the most VIOLENT movie of the summer??? Jeez does anyone in this country have a friggin BRAIN ANYMORE???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.