Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Charlie Chan film festival is off of FOX movie channel!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know what to say other than to just show you the report...

LOS ANGELES - Charlie Chan is off the case for the Fox Movie Channel.

The channel, citing respect for contemporary racial attitudes, has dropped a summer festival of movies featuring the character of the Chinese detective.

The films have been condemned by Asian-American activists as presenting ethnic stereotypes and because white actors played the part of Chan in the films first produced in the 1930s.

Fox Movie Channel announced its decision on its Internet site Friday, drawing complaints from some fans of the movies as well as compliments from Chan critics.

In its statement, the channel said the films were made "at a time when racial sensitivities were not as they are today." The channel invited comments from viewers and said it hoped "this action will evoke discussion about the progress made in our modern, multicultural society."

Fox Movie Channel was part of an effort to restore nearly two dozen early Chan films, which were produced by parent studio 20th Century Fox.

Some subscribers have complained about the films, which mostly starred Warner Oland and then Sidney Toler as Chan, a spokesman for the channel said. The Organization of Chinese Americans Inc., a Washington-based civil rights advocacy group, also complained.
...am I the only one here who feels that groups of all kinds, have it be race related groups, religious groups, animal rights groups, and everything else should just lighten up? Ugh, this doesn't sit well with me at all
Old 07-01-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=302529

Will this mean that they won't make it on dvd?
Old 07-01-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rypro 525
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=302529

Will this mean that they won't make it on dvd?
Sorry about that, I didn't catch the other thread!