Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
"Miles Bennet"? You meen Miles Dyson, right? Did they screw up his name in T3 or are you mixing him up with a different character?
Old 07-03-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Wait. I just remembered that his full name was Miles Bennet Dyson. My bad.
Old 07-03-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cross
Someone explain to me what / which are (as used in this thread):

T-800
T-850
T-800 model 101
T-101
This is how I think the naming/numbering convention goes:

T-800 Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 (in Terminator 1)
T-800 Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 (in Terminator 2)
T-850 Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 (in Terminator 3)

The 101 gives it the Arnold appearance. I'm thinking the Terminator in T3 has a slightly higher number, 850, so that the upgrade of having a hydrogen fuel cell can be explained.

If the writers did not upgrade the Terminator model number, there would have been a continuity problem since the Terminators in the first two movies never had any kind of explosion when they were destroyed (or any reference to hydrogen fuel cells).

DISCLAIMER: The above are just my interpretations and assumptions.

The movie was pretty good in my opinion. It went beyond my expectations. I wasn't expecting much since Cameron was not involved with the film, but T3 was done pretty well. And I'm hoping a T4 is made. T3, in my opinion, has been the best summer movie thus far.

My only minor gripe is that the Terminatrix did not seem scary. (Perhaps that was the intention with having a female Terminator?) The Terminators in the first two movies gave a scary feeling when they would make their appearance, but the Terminatrix never did that. The film's score might have caused this difference.

I don't think the film was a slap to Cameron. If Cameron was so concerned about the future of the Terminator franchise, he could have bought the rights to it instead of letting someone else buy it.

Last edited by Edge; 07-03-03 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Spooky
Terminator take place in 1984...John Connor was born in late 1984.
Terminator 2 takes place in late 1994 (NOT 1991) - John Connor is 10.
In 1997 the SPOILER concerning Sarah Connor that we find out about in T3 happens.
Late 2004 = The events of T3, John Connor is 20 years old.
John Connor was born on 2/28/85 according to T2. And I haven't seen it yet, but I thought that he was supposed to be 22, not 19, in T3. How does this make sense?
Old 07-03-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid

Other things I'd admire about the film:
1) It had the balls to kill a kid (at the "party" scene).
That is easily one of the big no no's in hollywood cinema.
Old 07-03-03, 10:26 PM
Cool New Member

In the movie, wasn't the fiance's name Scott Mason? In the credits and on IMDB, his name is Scott Peterson.
Old 07-03-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by VermillionZ
Ok flame me who cares.. I just go back from seeing it..
I feel so ****ing dirty from wasting my money on it and seeing it.
I had to take a shower 5 times when I got home.

All you fanboys out there can byte me I will never tell anyone to watch this movie ever.
Why would we flame you? I'm simply sorry for you and the fact that you had such a painful experience while about 95% of us were having such a great time.

And no, I won't byte you, no matter how many showers you take.

Last edited by marty888; 07-03-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my brain shut off after trying to follow a half ass story ...

If there's anything any of us can do to help you get it turned on again, let us know.

Last edited by marty888; 07-03-03 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 10:46 PM

Question:
Why did it seem that Arnold had already been taught by Jon Conners if he is a different terminator? (i.e. the car keys in the visor, and the casualty count after the police car shoot up)
Old 07-03-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by hugo1000faces
Question:
Why did it seem that Arnold had already been taught by Jon Conners if he is a different terminator? (i.e. the car keys in the visor, and the casualty count after the police car shoot up)
I think it's mentioned that the Kate character programed him to not kill anyone. As for the car keys, I guess that's just a little nod to T2.
Old 07-03-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the movie, wasn't the fiance's name Scott Mason? In the credits and on IMDB, his name is Scott Peterson.
dkatz, They probably changed it once Lacy Peterson went missing. Her husband's name is Scott Peterson.
Old 07-03-03, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They had said that the Terminator that killed Conner in the future had kind of cozied up to John using things from the past. Perhaps some of those things remained programmed when he was captured and send back to protect young Conner.
Old 07-03-03, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by kaempfer
I know there are a lot of plot holes in this movie, but one of them really bugs me.

If the Terminators didn't show up in the movie, how can John and Kate escape death? Sure, they will still meet in the vet clinic and maybe fall in love, but they have less than a day until the Judgment Day. Kate's father will not realize the threat of Skynet untill it starts taking over all systems. Probably thinking about it too much....

Aside from that, this is a really kick-ass movie. A much better sequel than Matrix Reloaded.
No, if the Terminators never showed up John and Kate would have ended up staying together after the party that they made out at in the 8th grade. (I think)
Old 07-03-03, 11:45 PM
Suspended

nm
Old 07-04-03, 12:15 AM
Suspended

T3 was was so damn awesome! WOW! I didnt think any other movie this summer, including T3, could top X-Men 2 for this summer's movies....but damn if I was wrong!!! The ending for this is such an amazing setup for part 4, I REALLY hope they continue this series. I WANT MORE!!!
Old 07-04-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Chalk up another vote to:

DISAPPOINTMENT.

Am I missing something here, or did they show a different movie in other theaters?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but come on.

I give:

The Terminator: A-
Terminator 2: A
Terminator 3: C+

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 07-04-03 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-04-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its funny...The same gripes people are having about this movie, are exactly the same problems there were in the second one...In T2, Arnold's Terminator is far from scary. At least in this one, there seemed to be some kind of an effort to keep him more of a machine and not a human. Also bad acting, be honest, Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong are pretty bad. Also, just as many plot holes. But they are still entertaining and fun movies. Take them for what they are, action packed with some fun thrown in. I think the creators of The Matrix could learn a little from these movies, in not taking themselves so seriously.
To the expert on Fanboys, it seems funny to me that you have used that term alot. I am not 100% sure what a fanboy is, but to me it seems it kinda takes one to know one? Maybe you protest a little to much about them.
Old 07-04-03, 12:56 AM

Best. Movie. Ever.

Ever!!!

Honestly, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The ending was great. All the subtle similarities and things they added into the story added SO much!

How much was the budget on this film?
Old 07-04-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from seeing this movie. I am totally blown away! Mostow was definitely the right choice as the director to continue the series. I'll admit I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the first two. Thankfully I was wrong.

The only thing I wish were different is that there didn't seem to be enough characterization at the beginning, especially for Kate Brewster and her father. We were introduced to the key characters far to quickly, and then the action started. I didn't feel like I could really connect to the characters. Yes, exposition during the entire movie helps fill in some holes, but I still wish we'd seen a little more at the start of the film.

Other than that, T3 was awesome. Great story, great cast, excellent action sequences, and. . .

The BEST CAR CHASE EVER!

I'll definitely see this one again.
Old 07-04-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
I liked it a lot. No T2, but certainly far better than I expected.

I have a question (and I'm sorry if it's already been asked, but I skimmed most of the posts here and didn't see it)

How could the T-X copy Kate in the military compound if she didn't ever touch her? (Or if she did, when?)
Old 07-04-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
How could the T-X copy Kate in the military compound if she didn't ever touch her? (Or if she did, when?)
At the beginning when the T-X is chasing her at the vet clinic, she rips her out of the truck and throws her on the ground, then AHNALD runs her over with the truck That's where the two made contact.
Old 07-04-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Saw it tonight. Thought that it was great esp. given the fact that I am old school and saw the original when it first came out in the cinemas.

I still love Arnold and this is definitely up there with the other two.

Go see it. It is great (damn near excellent)!!
Old 07-04-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by Wooderson
No, if the Terminators never showed up John and Kate would have ended up staying together after the party that they made out at in the 8th grade. (I think)
Exactly. Assume the TX doesnt come back to kill her father, he evacuates with the president to the underground bunker and takes his daughter with her. Assuming that the timeline wasn;t altered by terminators, she woul dhave been engaged to John Connor at that time and not the other guy.
Old 07-04-03, 02:54 AM

HAHA. Here it is again... only because when I first put out my thread, naysayers bashed it or wouldn't give a flying fig about it! How many of you are lined up for it now, eh?!

(*ahem* My T3 post.) (-;

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...16#post3801116

8.5 out of 10!

Last edited by FHaggis; 07-05-03 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-04-03, 03:48 AM
Suspended

The problem that T3 has is the same problem that the Jurassic Park follow-ups had - the Wow factor is gone. Once you got over the "Oh my god! Dinosaurs!" factor of the first movie, then the follow-ups never could be as cool.

Terminator is of course a classic. Very solid film all around. The biggest thing that T2 had going for it was the state of the art effects. A dude melts up off the floor, turns into a cop and then gets blow into bits and melts back together again. Sure morphing is commonplace these days, but back in 91 - you could hear a pin drop in the theater every time Robert Patrick oozed through some bars or turned into something.

Sadly, no amount of "Wow" will carry the day here. Modern audiences are just way too jaded.

Given all that - I think that the movie all out rocks. Balls to the wall coolness that doesn't stop. The "Naked Terminator finds some clothes" scene was to die for. I loved the idea that the human race gets 90 percent wiped out instead of Ah-nold saving the day again. I thought the TX was a hottie and the crane chase was INSANE!

It could have been longer - more exposition would have been nice. I never noticed until now, but I miss the music - really took away to a certain degree. But overall, it was a worthy addition to the story. I cant wait for the Future War in T4.

I suspect that you're trolling, but what the hell - I don’t have to get up in the morning. . . .

it was over all the data, hardware, everything was gone? How could they have still created skynet?
From what? Who? Never bothers to even try to explain it.
All backup and data gone? What the concept of backing up a multi-billion dollar research project on an off site location doesn’t sit well with you? But ok - lets assume that all the material for 'Project Skynet' was indeed blown to hell. What about all the research assistants and other project leads working with Dyson. These guys suddenly find themselves out of a job because their office was blown up by terrorists - some of them get lucritive government contracts and begin work over again. Judgement day is only delayed a few years - a mere bump in the road, according to the Lords of Time.

Oh and the T-850 seems to all of a sudden have some emotions? Let me get this strait without even reconditioning the program and giving it time to learn it's one up on the prior t-850 10 years ago?
This version of Uncle Bob was programmed to infiltrate the resistance and whack John. What better way to do that than have Uncle Bob 2.0 outfitted with these things humans call "emotions"?

All you fanboys out there can byte me I will never tell anyone to watch this movie ever.
Captain - we have a visual! Troll off the starboard bow!

WTF was the airforce doing mass producing first gen models of Terminators for? They had a freaking smeg load of terminators in that base? What for? PLOT HOLE
Did you miss the whole "Secret weapon facility" line? And really when ISNT the government working on a top secret prototype of something or another?

And BTW - those were prototype H/K's, not terminators.

If any branch of the military was building and storing a mass load of first Generation Terminators how the hell does everyone get into a maxuim security facility and no one notices? No alarms nothing? Come on some gun toting big guy that looks like he got off the meat truck is not just going to waltz in a place like that without anyone noticing.
I imagine that there were indeed alarms aplenty - however they were probably drowned out by the alarms being set off as the whole of western civilization collapsed into anarchy.

As to how they got in:
"Desk Sargent, I've got to see my father right now! Its an EMERGENCY!"
"Go right on back in, mam' sorry to detain you."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.