Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
More thoughts... (Spoilers ahoy!)

but still... You had to wonder "Of all of the animal hospitals I could have broken into for some painkillers..."

It was fate that they would meet again. They had there first kiss the night before T2 happened and never got a chance for their relationship to grow. John was supposed to meet her farther before but it got delayed by T2.
Old 07-02-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad this movie was only 1 hour, 50 minutes.

T2 seemed too long at 2 hrs. 15 minutes.
Old 07-02-03, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Terminator !!

Here's a couple of pics of our female terminator...She doesnt look very mean to me...

Last edited by thematrix; 07-02-03 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-02-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw it earlier and i enjoyed it. it took awhile for the plot to pick up, but overall i thought it was good. definitely worth watching.
Old 07-02-03, 11:25 PM

>>It was fate that they would meet again. They had there first kiss the night before T2 happened and never got a chance for their relationship to grow. John was supposed to meet her farther before but it got delayed by T2.
Old 07-02-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neeb
[B]>>It was fate that they would meet again. They had there first kiss the night before T2 happened and never got a chance for their relationship to grow. John was supposed to meet her farther before but it got delayed by T2.
Old 07-02-03, 11:53 PM

Can't Wait!!!!!!

Damn reading this thread makes me want to take a day-off work but unfortunately I can't I am currently working in the afternoon shift from 3:30PM to 12 MN oh well I guess I have to wait till this weekend
Old 07-03-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CCGoldRush
I was looking at 3 films as a unit. IMO, all 3 Terminator movies were better than Return of the Jedi (doesn't mean I dislike Jedi, just that the T movies were better...
Well, I can say that the original three Star Wars movies as a unit are better than T3, but that really wouldn't be fair comparing one movie to three.

And I see your point about Indy's scripts vs. Terminator scripts. The T-scripts have much more depth to the story while the Indy scripts are plain 'ole swashbuckling fun! (Nothing wrong with that!)
Old 07-03-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
To me, this film feels like a polished version (CGI-wise) of a first or second draft of what could have been a better film.
Exactly. My friend says it seems that the script looks like it went through many revisions and he said that Mostow is credited with the other screenwriters, so he could have doctored the script after the fact. Not the tightest Terminator script.

Yes, there's action in the film, but I don't think it's got a lot of humanity in it at all. That was one of the primal strengths of the earlier films.
In the two previous movies, Cameron really balanced exposition with action so you really got to know the main characters. I felt this was also lacking in T3.
Old 07-03-03, 12:23 AM
veritasredux

Saw it this afternoon, thought it was a mess. Not a terrible film, but nothing I'd ever want to see again. I'd rank it a notch below M:R on the sliding scale of messes.

The Terminator features a tight script, one of the most intimidating villains in recent film history, *null* humor, and a pervading sense of desperation. Downside? Bad effects and poor dialogue when things aren't blowing up, which is Cameron's MO. All of his characters are empty shells, and they are happy to remind us of that when Jimmy forgets that his movies are supposed to be story-driven. See Titanic.

T2 had a meandering, preachy script with an obnoxious 13-year-old playing an obnoxious 10-year-old, a less intimidating villain, and some decent humor with the Terminator as the straight man. And big special effects. Although the CGI back then was primitive compared to 2003, it still holds up extremely well when I watch the DVD today.

T3 was schlocky. The T-850 began delivering one liners out of the clear blue yonder, including the priceless "excuse me" as he
Spoiler:
yanks the T-X out of the moving crane.
He's no longer a serious machine hellbent on fulfilling his mission, but a sly, winking one-liner delivery system for a mediocre screenwriter with zero respect for Cameron's movies.

The Terminatrix was a joke with her goofy pseudo-sexual blood-licking and CGI-ey plasma cannon; Mostow aimed for sex appeal and wound up with a bimbo cyborg with zero intimidation factor. When Arnold came onscreen in the first Terminator he was the harbinger of doom or, at the very least, **** hitting the fan. Patrick couldn't match Arnie's presence, but did a good job of portraying the T-1000 as a sleek killing machine. The T-X was like a toy robot, and to make matters worse (better?), had virtually no solo screen time. Compare this to T1 and T2, where the villains' solo scenes were among the films' best.

Silverman's cameo was an embarrassment; in the second movie he's present because of his working connection with Reese/Connor in T1; that is to say, it makes sense for him to be Sarah's caretaker, as he has unique qualifications to work with her. In T3 he just shows up out of nowhere to deliver a handful of flat lines and run off when the minigun starts spinning. Not funny. Which is what most of the movie is, come to think of it. Is this a Terminator movie or Dr. Strangelove II?

The script: a good way to judge a screenwriter's talent is have the moviegoing audience predict the next line. For a good example, try to predict a the next line of dialogue in a Tarantino movie, even the dialogue of someone like Butch in Pulp Fiction. If you get it right, the screenwriter is ****. When JC leans over the microphone at the end of the film, half the audience in my theatre whispered, "I am." Bleg. And I don't know if we should blame the screenwriters for having the T-X's hair down in her opening scene, but I'm going to anyway.

On the plus side, the chase scene was fun (though not up to the freeway battle in M:R), and credit is due Mostow for not overusing CGI aside from the goofy T-X weapons and
Spoiler:
death scene.
The conclusion was also a pleasant surprise, and I didn't think it was a slap in the face to Cameron any more than the whole film was. After all, the Terminator saga died with T2; this is just a tacked-on coda created by a director and screenwriters who are dealing with subject matter that is way out of their league. Might as well go out with the apocalypse. I mean, why not?

See it once, but don't have expectations beyond big orange explosions and blood-licking cyberhoes.

Last edited by veritasredux; 07-03-03 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps to a robot, it seems Illogical to send masses and masses. the belief that they can change the past perhaps? While I'm just taking a leap of faith here and saying... John Conoro never sent back his men and robots to stop the future.. just to protect john so that he would be safe to live the future. a predetermained future. Sure I'm with you full hearty with the idea that T2 ended on a note that suggested that you control you own future and T3 pretty much says the future is already there. One way or another it's going to happen regardless of what you do. You are only setting it back some. Hell, I even posted the exact same "F you to t2's ending" you did.

But look at it this way. the events that occured happened for a reason. they were ment to happen like that. The only big illogical question here is How was John first born to begin with if his dad wasn't born till he was older? who started that cycle?
Old 07-03-03, 01:16 AM

I just got back from watching T3 and I must say that it totally blew me away. Sure it may have its plot holes (if u really sit there and think about it) and the dialogue was a bit rough but the action sequences blows the matrix outta the water. I also think it picks up where T2 leaves off pretty well.
All in all, if u haven't seen this movie yet, DO SO! It has easily become the best movie I have seen this yr and probably in a few yrs.
4 1/2 out of 5

Oh yeah, Im gonna be watching this movie again and prayin for a T4.

Last edited by spfanatic; 07-03-03 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 01:28 AM

It was mediocre.

The movie went way too fast pase, and the dialogue was cheesy (Like the little diatribe about first kissing and Arnold's various one-liners) and predictable (the loud 10 year old about 2 seats next to me predicted the next dialogue perfectly thrice)

And am the only one who does not find the T-X attractive?

Last edited by Imodium; 07-03-03 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Just think how cool it would be to see the moment where John gives the orders to send Michael Beihn's character back in time. That leads to some questions- Would he know instantly that the protection mission was a success? ....actually, he would already know, since he is alive to give the order... but then, does that mean that the version of his future self from the original Terminator movie also knew that the mission would succeed? That would also mean that he already knew Beihn would go back and impregnate his mother, which means...
Oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

But all Austin Powers humor aside, I saw T3 tonight and the movie is SICK. Far and away the best movie this summer.
Old 07-03-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by VermillionZ
If any branch of the military was building and storing a mass load of first Generation Terminators how the hell does everyone get into a maxuim security facility and no one notices? No alarms nothing? Come on some gun toting big guy that looks like he got off the meat truck is not just going to waltz in a place like that without anyone noticing.
1. T-X Was disguised as an "intern" or whatever, she's a master of disguise, easy.

2. The Girl is the daughter of the Head commander, that's how they got in.

Let's also not forget that while in the bunker they are basically saying the whole country is open to attack, meaning all defense systems everywhere (including the secret base) were all malfunctioning.

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 07-03-03 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 02:07 AM

I think a few of you need to realize that Cameron isnt the only great director. Jonathan Mostow did a terrific job and in all honestly, I dont Cameron could have done any better. I have the up most respect for Mostow, he is an absolutly incredible director. T3 owned everybody. It blew Reloaded away, go see T3 if you wanna see a real good movie.
Old 07-03-03, 03:09 AM

I absolutely loved it. The thing to remember when going in the theater is not to expect it to top T2, or even come close to it. That's impossible. It's meant as a continuation of the plot and characters, not a continuation of the same movie. Who cares if it screwed with Cameron's movies? He didn't write it, and he didn't direct it.
Old 07-03-03, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think this one will have the opening of the Matrix: Reloaded for the first weekend...we'll see.
Old 07-03-03, 05:24 AM

Oro?
Did I strike a nerve oooooo baka.
I call it like I see it.
There are some really dumb humans on this planet.
Have I singled out anyone on this forum yet
Nope.
I'm talking about smelly fanboys and girls.
Humans can change themselves if they will themselves to change.

Originally posted by CCGoldRush
You are insulting and have no place giving such an opinion. If you don't like the movie, fine. But there is absolutely no reason for ANY of us to take your childish name-calling.
Old 07-03-03, 05:33 AM

ERR Wrong try again.
SO what if she is the daugther of the big head?
That does not mean she is going to just walk in there with some ugly mug of a guy with heavy weapons.
They got in before the system started going all fubar.
T-X was a plot device plainly put for fanboys.

Oh yea and like hell the systems would be all be connected to the net. You'd be nuts not to lock down these systems to a hardline.
There would be a single set of systems that were used seperate from everything else for net connections.
They would use these systems for other non-important tasks.

Ah one more thing.
Anyone care to go back and rewatch T2 when the T-850 is explaining judgement day?
Does he ever talk about a mass load of first gen T's wiping out humans? Nope.
I quote "Skynet is launched shortly afterwards becomes self aware, lauches nukes at select targets i.e. Russia knowing that they will return fire with their nukes."
Thus starting a would war while the humans wipe themselves out Skynet builds it army..
Did I get that wrong?

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
1. T-X Was disguised as an "intern" or whatever, she's a master of disguise, easy.
2. The Girl is the daughter of the Head commander, that's how they got in.
Let's also not forget that while in the bunker they are basically saying the whole country is open to attack, meaning all defense systems everywhere (including the secret base) were all malfunctioning.
Old 07-03-03, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
Exactly. My friend says it seems that the script looks like it went through many revisions and he said that Mostow is credited with the other screenwriters, so he could have doctored the script after the fact. Not the tightest Terminator script.
Actually, what I said was- even though there were many screenwriters on this movie, I was suprised how well the story flowed. I actually thought this movie was "tight." Even though this sequel made the message of T2 a moot point ( the idea that fate can be controlled by the human spirit), I really dug what T3 was trying to say ( not to run away from responsibility, no matter how terrible the outcome).

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
...Jonathan Mostow did a terrific job and in all honestly, I dont Cameron could have done any better. I have the up most respect for Mostow, he is an absolutly incredible director...
I totally agree with you. Kudos to Mostow...

If you want to delve into his thought processes, check out his commentary for U-571. You can understand how technically astute and detail-oriented this director is from that commentary.

The only thing I thougtht was lacking in T3 was the musical score. Marco Beltrami seemed to hold back on the music cues in certain scenes that IMO should of had music. I sorely missed the industrial sounding orchestration of Brad Fiedel.

Last edited by Bright Cucumber; 07-03-03 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 07:11 AM
Neo

T3 should be targeted for TERMINATION!

"Talk to the hand!"
Old 07-03-03, 08:43 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Neo
T3 should be targeted for TERMINATION!

"Talk to the hand!"
Wow. I just saw T3 last night. First off let me say I am a HUGE Arnold fan. I love his movies. I own a ton of his DVD's. I even enjoy his comedies. I have a Arnold signed Predator poster in my Home Theater. I actually do a very good Arnold voice.

- The Movie

Terminator 3. Wow. One one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I honestly felt completely ripped off as an Arnold fan.

I don't think Arnold cares anymore about the quality of his movies. This was the cheesiest movie in a string of cheesy flicks. I don't think Cameron would not have helped too much either. I always felt T2 the beginning of the end for Arnold.

- The Problem

The problem is the forced humor. Honestly what the hell is going on? These jokes are unbelievable! "Talk to the hand?" My god!

NEWSFLASH

THE TERMINATOR IS NOT A SLAPSTICK COMEDY. I kept waiting for a Terminator Curly to walk in and start killing people by poking them through the eyes, or throw lethal cream pies at them.

I wonder if the entire cast and crew, other the Arnold, has even watched the first 2 movies.

I really wish they would have modeled this movie after the 1st one. The 1st terminator movie was so much more entertaining (including better than T2 but not by a whole lot).

- The Characters

The TX is not frightning or effective at all. For F$%k sakes her breasts inflate at one point. I had to put my hand over my face during that part. Is this a joke, Scary Movie 3? (although Loken is beautiful)

Nick Stahl did the job he was meant to do. I did not care whether he lived or died. Nix that, I kinda wished he died.

Claire Danes. She gave the only decent performace in the movie. The problem here was her surroundings. I almost felt she must have felt annoyed that everyone else gets to screw around with retarded lines and story and she has to play the straight role.

Arnold. Wow. Double Wow. I know Arnold is not the greatest actor. But wow. Cheese beyong cheese. I feel like Arnold has slapped the face of all his fans with this movie. He has like 10 lines in this movie, and all of them have been used in the previous 2 movies. Wow im still awe struck on this one.

- Music

Definatley lacking. Should have stuck with Fiedel's score (his music is as key as Arnold's role)

- Arnold's future

I own the T1 SE, the T2 UE and T2 EE. I will never ever ever buy this POS that should have been a decent movie.

I was really hoping Arnold would consider doing Conan 3 for his next project. I believe this is the only good movie he has left. I am praying that we do NOT ever see True Lies 2. This will be as cheesy as T3. PLEASE GIVE US Conan 3 with no DAMN Comedy.

Wow. Watching T3 was kinda sad for me. I know Arnold's movie making days are pretty much over. He is making bad choice after bad choice. I think he should just move on to his political carrer.
Old 07-03-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The only big illogical question here is How was John first born to begin with if his dad wasn't born till he was older? who started that cycle?
My take on that is that the "original" John Connor was the son of Sarah Connor and some man that was not Kyle Reese. Then Judgement Day happens and this John Connor rises to be the leader of the human resistance. Skynet figures if he was never born the human resistance would lose such a valuable asset (and totally ignoring the more than likely possibility that some one else could just as likely end up being the leader of the human resistance in his stead and may or may not prove to be a more effective opponent than the one Skynet was striving to eliminate) and the war post Judgement Day would be heavily in Skynet's favour. It sends a Terminator back and human resistance finds out just after the fact so a lone warrior is sent to protect John Connor's mother (the Terminator's target). But here something weird happens. Kyle, infatuated with Sarah and she attracted to him, scores with her and leaves here pregnant with a child that ismostdefinitelynot the John Connor who sentKyle Reese back through time. She names the child John (thinking he is the son Kyle told her she'dhave) and does everything to make sure he is capable of being this world leader. Now the "new" John knows that Kyle Reese is his father but sends him back in time anyway to preserve his exsistence. So it's two very different men with the same purpose in life and a paradox is avoided since this new John makes a constant loop by sending Kyle Reese back to protect his mother, knowing full well that Kyle will die shortly after impregnating her, and leaving Kyle and everyone else ignorant of the fact that this man is his father. So the new John has effectively secured his existence.

Also, T3 is not so much a slap in the face of T2's ending as it is an exploitation of one very big goof at the end of the movie. John Connor still exists and Sarah still had her encounter with Kyle Reese. None of this would be possible if Skynet were no longer created unless John or Sarah created a time machine and sent Kyle Reese back, told him to lie to the Sarah of the 80's about a Judgement Day (that will no longer come to pass) and also send back a T-800 model 101 programmed to kill her at all costs. Of course this means they also sent back the next T-800 and the T-1000.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-03-03 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 09:38 AM

exactly my thinking when T2 ended: What where they doing there? They should have to dissapear if there was no JD.

But T3 is completly contradicted to the extended ending of T2 UE where we see connor as a happy fammily in the future...

Dukemstr

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.