Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came back from seeing the late screening on Tuesday night (slept through the 8pm screening). Let me start of by saying that you just can't hope to top T2. T2 is up on a pedestal by itself and I'm very glad they did not attempt to simply improve on T2. But I really liked T3.

Spoiler:

To have a sequel the movie first had to invalidate the hopeful message of the second movie. It was all an illusion, you did not change the future but merely delay the inevitable. The voice-over at the beginning gave me Blade Runner nightmare flashbacks and the pacing and inflection of the voice-over was a bit forced imo.

But then we start with John Connor, fleeing from the system and his inevitable fate. If you choose not to participate in the system, can it really affect you? As it turns out, not having a phone or credit card can still get you marked for nuclear annihilation.

Cue homage scene where Arnold picks up his leather and, insert gratuitous chuckle, sparkly glasses. Pump shotgun and proper black shades later the Terminator is up and running.

Skip a few expensive but nevertheless entertaining sequences where things get blown up and we get more information about the future. Having only seen brief glimpses of the post-judgment day world I really found the scenes that expand what will happen interesting. Those alone made this movie worth watching to me.

John Connor marries, has children and a wife/second-in-command that kicks ass like his mother did. And apparently he is somewhat expendable beyond a certain date since the resistance did not collapse upon his assassination.

Arnold gets his day in the sun/hydrogen blast and knocks off yet another much more advanced terminator. I'm not sure what to make of the ending. Nuclear launches to a glorious background score? John Connor and Kate Brewster accept their "destiny" and roles in the post-judgment day world and John closes things out with the response to "Who's in charge?" with "I am."

Clearly the movie leaves things open as have the previous two movies. Judgment Day has arrived and humanity is at war with the machines. But none of the movies have ever hinted at the ultimate outcome of the war. If Judgment Day has been predestined and in spite of supposed human free will could not be changed has the outcome of the war already been determined?

The machines clearly enjoy a numeric and offensive advantage and the resistance has lost its leader. Or has it? John knows he will be assassinated by a Terminator now. Would he prepare for this or would he feel that it is his fate to die?
Old 07-02-03, 02:02 AM

Another satisfied custome here. The chase scene kicked ass!
Old 07-02-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it tonight. Loved it. I really believe that this is as good as it could have possibly been, considering all it had going against it. I admit my expectations were low, but fortunately it turned out to be a good movie that stayed true to its predecessors, while still showing us new and exciting stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but I think they need to get busy with T4. When T3 ended, all I wanted was to see what happens next. It'll be a big disappointment if it doesn’t materialize soon. I think, due to what was given to us in T3, that the next installment has the potential to be truly incredible story-wise. Just think how cool it would be to see the moment where John gives the orders to send Michael Beihn's character back in time. That leads to some questions- Would he know instantly that the protection mission was a success? ....actually, he would already know, since he is alive to give the order... but then, does that mean that the version of his future self from the original Terminator movie also knew that the mission would succeed? That would also mean that he already knew Beihn would go back and impregnate his mother, which means...

Ok I think I just destroyed some brain cells.

Seriously, we really need a T3 forum!

Last edited by caiman; 07-02-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-02-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the real question is how was john born in the first place if his dad wasn't born till 20+years later. the chicken had to come before the egg.. or was that the egg before the chicken?? ARGH!
Old 07-02-03, 03:25 AM

I really loved this film. I can't wait for the DVD and T4. Like alot of you, I didn't go in with high expectations. All I can say is WOW!!
Old 07-02-03, 03:44 AM

OMG!!! I knew it was going to be good but geez!!! It was INCREDIBLE! At first it started out kinda questionable. But then it started. And once it started, it didnt stop. It explained it so well. And Nick Stahl played John so well. Thank God Furlong didnt come back. Claire Danes was great too, and very hot. I loved how they explained everything so well, esspecially Sarah Connors death. Unlike alot of people Im sure, I was actually going in with high expectations. And came out more than satisfied. And even with the 12 years passed. It still feels like a trilogy. And it leaves the door wide open for a T4 or it can stay a trilogy. It can work either way with the ending. All you T3 bashers on unbelievers.....are wrong. This is without a shadow of a doubt the best movie of the year.

Go see this movie if you're smart. We want a T4, esspecially after how good this one was. I hope this movie makes alot of money because it dang well deserves it. Alot of you need to realize James Cameron isnt the only good director. Jonathan Mostow did a terrific job. Although the T-X is hot, you really start to hate her and want her to die. Arnold gets beat up pretty bad in this one. But he comes out on top...of course. I hope my review helped some of you make the right choice. Go see T3.
Old 07-02-03, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by GmoneyOwnsYou
Arnold gets beat up pretty bad in this one. But he comes out on top...of course.
Spoiler:
Sure he did...if you consider getting blown to smithereens coming out on top
Old 07-02-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard to say anything bad about this film.

One of the best things about the film was its actual LACK of CGI in the car chase scene. I'm not a CGI basher--I like the technology--but I appreciate it when they do practical effects as well. At least, to me, the car chase scene that wrecked that entire street seemed like practical effects to me. That was quite refreshing especially after seeing Full Throttle last weekend.

Nick Stahl was great as John Connor. Claire Danes was good, although I still miss Linda Hamilton.

Spoiler:
Although, now when we see Miles Dyson die in T2, I kinda wonder if he didn't have to die since Skynet became self-aware without Cyberdyne.

Definitely a must-see movie this summer, even if you don't care for the franchise.

Here is my list for the summer:

1. T3: Rise of the Machines
2. Finding Nemo
3. X2
4. Hulk
5. Matrix Reloaded
6. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

I only give T3 the edge over Nemo because I gravitate toward sci-fi/action movies.
Old 07-02-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i had low expectations going in (in fact i wasnt planning on seeing it but my friends suggested we go) but i was entertained.

lots of funny parts and a few AMAZING action scenes (that first car chase...WOW...matrix-esque!).

however, like i said at the end, i dont care if they make T4 or not. its just not my movie i guess...
Old 07-02-03, 06:12 AM

Wow...

T3 ruled.

The car/truck chase seen blows away anything in the Matrix Reloaded. Hell, even the terminator fights were better than the crap we got in the Matrix Reloaded.

Arnie's still got it! =)

Can't wait for the dvd.

Sanjay
Old 07-02-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it last night at a sneak preview. I loved it! I will definitely be going back tonight to see it again. The action was non-stop and the movie was over before I realized it. I wish it had been about 20 minutes longer.

The only gripes I had (and it might have been a problem with the projector) was that the framing seemed wrong at times. Like, the actors's heads were too high up in the frame. Some of the scenes also had a weird fuzzy look to them also. There are two scenes were it seemed like it was in slow motion for no reason.

These things didn't detract from the movie for me though. Arnold was born to play this part and I'm glad he came back to make T3. Now, will there be a T4?
Old 07-02-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to parrot what everyone else has said, but I really loved this movie. I did go in worried, and stayed worried after the appearance of TX and Arnie's quest for clothes, but it completely delivered. The story was smart without trying to be smarter than itself, the humor was well placed for the most part, and the action was...Holy Shnikies! Definitely the best "blockbuster" that I've seen in a long time.
Old 07-02-03, 09:52 AM

I got a question! I too saw it last night and loved it but if they make a T-4 will
Spoiler:
Arnie be the bad guy trying to terminate John Connor? In the movie he says that he has killed him in the future when he's sitting in the car. What do you think? Or will they somehow try and make him a good guy
Old 07-02-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Lurker1999
I just came back from seeing the late screening on Tuesday night (slept through the 8pm screening). Let me start of by saying that you just can't hope to top T2. T2 is up on a pedestal by itself and I'm very glad they did not attempt to simply improve on T2. But I really liked T3.

Spoiler:

To have a sequel the movie first had to invalidate the hopeful message of the second movie. It was all an illusion, you did not change the future but merely delay the inevitable. The voice-over at the beginning gave me Blade Runner nightmare flashbacks and the pacing and inflection of the voice-over was a bit forced imo.

But then we start with John Connor, fleeing from the system and his inevitable fate. If you choose not to participate in the system, can it really affect you? As it turns out, not having a phone or credit card can still get you marked for nuclear annihilation.

Cue homage scene where Arnold picks up his leather and, insert gratuitous chuckle, sparkly glasses. Pump shotgun and proper black shades later the Terminator is up and running.

Skip a few expensive but nevertheless entertaining sequences where things get blown up and we get more information about the future. Having only seen brief glimpses of the post-judgment day world I really found the scenes that expand what will happen interesting. Those alone made this movie worth watching to me.

John Connor marries, has children and a wife/second-in-command that kicks ass like his mother did. And apparently he is somewhat expendable beyond a certain date since the resistance did not collapse upon his assassination.

Arnold gets his day in the sun/hydrogen blast and knocks off yet another much more advanced terminator. I'm not sure what to make of the ending. Nuclear launches to a glorious background score? John Connor and Kate Brewster accept their "destiny" and roles in the post-judgment day world and John closes things out with the response to "Who's in charge?" with "I am."

Clearly the movie leaves things open as have the previous two movies. Judgment Day has arrived and humanity is at war with the machines. But none of the movies have ever hinted at the ultimate outcome of the war. If Judgment Day has been predestined and in spite of supposed human free will could not be changed has the outcome of the war already been determined?

The machines clearly enjoy a numeric and offensive advantage and the resistance has lost its leader. Or has it? John knows he will be assassinated by a Terminator now. Would he prepare for this or would he feel that it is his fate to die?
I thought that we found out that the humans won in the first one? When Michael Biehn was being interrogated in the police station he said that they had breached Skynet's perimiter and it was only a matter of time before they destroyed it.
Old 07-02-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grade: B+

One of the few highlights this summer, next to X2. I'm glad to see Arnold on top of his game, say what you will about End of Days (I really like it), The 6th Day (was pretty good), and Collateral Damage (it was ok), but I alawys have like Arnold's movies and this is his best next to T1, T2, and True Lies. Some of the humor had me worried, while the first two had their share, but they did it less and the movies were more serious. TX was cool, but some how the T-1000 was better. The abruptness of the ending makes a T4 inevitable, which is good, because I wanted to see more of that damn future battles!
The only real naunces I have are it's too short (but that's ok) and the music (Fiedel is missed). Acting was better in the first two, while the core actors were excellent, the secondary actors weren't too convining. Should make for an awesome dvd! B+
Old 07-02-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
I thought that we found out that the humans won in the first one? When Michael Biehn was being interrogated in the police station he said that they had breached Skynet's perimiter and it was only a matter of time before they destroyed it.
This does not reconcile with the statement at the end of T3 though.
Spoiler:
That Skynet is software, there was no central core to destroy and therefore JD would happen no matter what.
Plus if Skynet had fallen at the end of the original how do you explain the events of T2 and T3 (aside from the fact that they were sequels for a highly profitable movie)?
Old 07-02-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone on the radio said about the chase, this time there is a point to it, since lets face it, there was no real point of the big car chase scene in reloaded, yeah it looked cool, but no real point.
Old 07-02-03, 12:42 PM

Did we all watch the same movie?

T3 is to the other Terminators as Austin Powers is to James Bond. Only Austin Powers is intentionally funny.

I admit the end sequence was pretty cool and we got a little more backstory that we never had... but sheesh.

I haven't seen anything more derivative since Brian De Palma.
Old 07-02-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the movie.

Please do not read up on the movie, just go see it. Things happened that I am glad I did not find out about until I saw the movie.

Went with 5 people and everyone loved it.

My boy said he never had a movie shake him befor, the bass was awesome.

The actor they used for John Connor did a good job, the actress that played sidekick looked alot like his mother.

And Arnie was at his best.

I heard that there was not enough in the buget for the big chase sceen, so Arnie paid for it him self. He made $30 million for the movie, so paying $1.5 million for the chase did not send him to the poor house. But, that was cool he wanted to make the movie the best it could be.

At one point in the movie, Arnie's Terminator does tell John Connor that he will see him again. That either means that he will see him in the future (which everyone knows from the T1 and T2 movies) or there is going to be another movie (T4).
Old 07-02-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant

I heard that there was not enough in the buget for the big chase sceen, so Arnie paid for it him self. He made $30 million for the movie, so paying $1.5 million for the chase did not send him to the poor house. But, that was cool he wanted to make the movie the best it could be.
I'm sure that scene cost more than $1.5 million to make.
Old 07-02-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hell the chase in reloaded costed 40 million!
Old 07-02-03, 01:46 PM

or there is going to be another movie (T4).
This is envitable, unless this one totally bombs.
Old 07-02-03, 02:18 PM

Ok flame me who cares.. I just go back from seeing it..
I feel so ****ing dirty from wasting my money on it and seeing it.
I had to take a shower 5 times when I got home.

Ok It did have 5 really good sences I loved.. the fight between the two T's was bad ass.

The first chase sence was kick ass.

The FXs were awsome.

BUT!!!!
This movie should never have been made.

I mean come on James Cameron wanted nothing to do with this movie..
He bloody ended the story in T2.. it was over all the data, hardware, everything was gone? How could they have still created skynet?
From what? Who? Never bothers to even try to explain it.
Oh and the T-850 seems to all of a sudden have some emotions?
Let me get this strait without even reconditioning the program and giving it time to learn it's one up on the prior t-850 10 years ago?

All you fanboys out there can byte me I will never tell anyone to watch this movie ever.

The story is so retarded and poorly written it's too short some parts are just not even in context.

Honestly some of the scenes were just lacking in everything.
This whole movie was nothing more than another Battlefield Earth action flick with a chick.

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0181852
John D Brancato, Michael Ferris, and Tedi Sarafian took a great story and totally bastardized it.

Go ask James Cameron what he thinks about it and why he wanted nothing to do with the film and why it took 10 years to start the production?

Oh yea there were way too many scenes in the T3 movie that were just plain ****ing rip offs of James ideas in T2 and T1
plus WTF was the airforce doing mass producing first gen models of Terminators for? They had a freaking smeg load of terminators in that base? What for? PLOT HOLE

Last edited by VermillionZ; 07-02-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-02-03, 02:51 PM

Well VermillionZ, looks like you're out numbered. This movie owns, it's brilliant. You're the first person that Ive heard give it a bad review. Weird, sounds like you are wrong.
Old 07-02-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 questions:

1. does anyone know how they did that chase scene? did they find some run down city or did they make a fake city or what? that was INSANE. seriously i have no idea how they did it.

2. who was the guy at the cemetary in the ambulance talking to the bruster girl. when he came on screen people in the audience started laughing n stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.