Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-03, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true if you you go to my house and kill me i would not exist tomorrow, but you are from the present not the future, if you came from the future where we both exist and then kill me in the present, the theory is the me in the future would no longer exist which i believe is not true at all, but i have no way to prove that.

Originally posted by Cusm
This is not BTTF logic, this is basic science. If I go to your house today and kill you. You will not exist tomorrow. The Terminators are trying to kill John, not seperate JC parents from reproducing by not meeting. BTTF logic would be killing Reece when he is a child in an attempt to eleminate John. Or making Sara join a convent and making sure she does not fornicate - now there is your is T4 plot line.
Old 07-15-03, 07:53 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor
I haven't read everyone's opinions on the movie but from what I see, people are crazy.

T2 was perfect and couldn't have had a better ending. The t-800 had to terminate himself. There was no other choice.

T3 though. Definitely the worst of the series.

Storywise the movie was silly and in all honesty T3 should've never happened. For the sake of conversation though, I'll overlook how the Terminator franchise is built on plotholes. Anyway, these new Terminators suck ass at "terminating". Instead of quick kills, we get people tossing. A lot of people tossing.
I largely agree with you.

Definitely how the TX never ever seemed that badass. A nuclear pulse (or whatever it was) is not on the same 'scary-ness' level as knives, ala T1000. The TX was not a great bad guy.
Old 07-15-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
Nope. And neither do you. Theoretically, time travel is possible; it just hasn't been proven either way. Read up on the tenth-demensional and hyperspace physics theories; they really are interesting.
You're right. Actually I AM a time traveller. In fact I'm travelling through time right now. Sure, it's just the one way, but I'm still doing it.

Originally posted by caipirina
Yes T'pol ... we know that you bloddy hot vulcan chicks do not believe in it
That's the third time today someone has called me a bloddy hot vulcan chick. Weird.
Old 07-15-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
You're right. Actually I AM a time traveller. In fact I'm travelling through time right now.
That is how you won Groucho's box office poker game. I call shinanigans!!
Old 07-16-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid

That's the third time today someone has called me a bloddy hot vulcan chick. Weird.
Maybe you are her ... or her great grand daughter

Oh, i just gone cross eyed again
Old 07-16-03, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got around to watching the movie yesterday afternoon. It was alright, but did seem very short. Not only that, but it seemed like it was ...missing...."something". Not sure what. Thinking back to the movie, it seems like many things could have been added. I mean,...to me...the movie felt something like this:

PLOT SPOILERS:

Terminators show up>Car Chase>No action scene to explain plot>Military installation scene>Ending scene

END OF SPOILERS

Maybe it was the absence of the music from previous installations of Terminator movies. Or maybe it was that it was different actors, except for Arnold. Could it be the absence of Linda Hamilton? I don't know.
It wasn't a bad movie. I'll definately get it when it comes out on DVD, but I wish it had more in it.

Edited: Cause I'm an idiot and can't keep names straight. :-)

Last edited by NoirTech; 07-16-03 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-16-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by NoirTech
Could it be the absence of Linda Carter? I don't know.
I doubt it, cuz she was never in the previous 2 movies. And I don't think the protagonists in the movie could've used Wonder Woman anyway.
Old 07-16-03, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I doubt it, cuz she was never in the previous 2 movies. And I don't think the protagonists in the movie could've used Wonder Woman anyway.
Oh crap! I can't believe I typed that. Heh. Guess being at work without coffee doesn't really help me much. I'm sure you all knew I meant Linda Hamilton though...right? right? ::crickets:: hello?
Old 07-20-03, 07:19 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
film only opened in Australia this week, just saw it

Not a bad movie, bit disappointed, way behind the first two which are masterpieces in their own right

Didn;t like the actor who played John Conner at all. Claire Danes was good but she hasn't grown up that cute. Arnie whilst still in decent physical shape really is showing his age, especially in the face closeups. Makes it hard to believe he's a terminator ! Hated the campy lines and yes overall too many jokes, not enough intensity

When you compare the intensity and presence of the terminator in the first film , especially in the club scene where both Kyle and arnie are about to make contact with Sarah conner compared with the TX in this film, it's a joke. Her weaponry doesn't make her scarier, i dunno, she just didn't come upto par

the crane chase scene was way cool though
Old 07-20-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NoirTech
I finally got around to watching the movie yesterday afternoon. It was alright, but did seem very short.
The movie is almost 2 hours long. The fact that you thought it was very short speaks pretty positively about Terminator 3.

FWIW, I saw it with a friend and we both thought it was pretty short as well. Then we looked at the time.
Old 07-20-03, 04:40 PM

I agree completely with Original Desmond...

I thought the movie was OK, but had "lame excuse to make money" written all over it. I think Linda Hamilton was quoted as saying that the movie was heartless and she was right. I didnt care for the characters at all.

I also agree with the point that the TX didnt seem half as bad as the T1000 from T2.

Overall probably ***/*****
Old 07-20-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a quick question...if Skynet wants to kill John Conner so damn bad, why don't they send back more than one Terminator? And if John knows they're coming, why doesn't he send back the reprogrammed Terminator and some humans?
Old 07-20-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
Here's a quick question...if Skynet wants to kill John Conner so damn bad, why don't they send back more than one Terminator? And if John knows they're coming, why doesn't he send back the reprogrammed Terminator and some humans?
Well... in Terminator Reese explains that the humans blew up the device after he went through. Probably took some time for a new one to be rebuilt for the events in T2. After that... i dunno, maybe the limitations of the device.
Old 07-21-03, 01:44 PM

I did it! I read through all 300+ posts! And it only took me about 3 hours here at work! Hey at least I'm getting paid for it!

anway, I loved the movie and like it almost as much as T2. A few gripe off the top of my head.

1. Since when can Arnold self-terminate? He wasn't able to do it in T2 but now he's able to do it in T3? Or is this an exception since he's taking out T-X?

2. Arnold, before he self-terminates, says to John, "We'll meet again." Technically speaking (which is how all terminators speak) that particular "him" will not meet up again with John. Is Arnold implying that he'll be back to kill John? ahhhh you're right, who cares.

As for a T4 and T5, what kind of foe can they come up with? Ressurect Linda Hamilton to become the T-M? Terminator-Mommy? Can they even have a one-on-one terminator duel like T2 and T3 with all of the other machines causing all this trouble?

Poll: How many different editions of the Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines DVD do you think will be produced in the next 10 years?
Old 07-21-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

. Arnold, before he self-terminates, says to John, "We'll meet again." Technically speaking (which is how all terminators speak) that particular "him" will not meet up again with John. Is Arnold implying that he'll be back to kill John? ahhhh you're right, who cares.
Lester - Arnold says earlier that he
Spoiler:
kills John Conner in the future
and then is re-programmed. So they will meet again.

As far as self-terminating, it seems like he was doing a forced re-boot (as evidenced by the fact he restarts). When he kills TX that isn't a self-termination, thats being killed in the line of duty.

Last edited by chanster; 07-21-03 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-22-03, 04:52 PM

Ok, my turn, I was a little late in seeing it. First of all I was surprised how many people were at the show: 7/19 at 4:00.
We got there during the previews and couldn't get very good seats. I thought it would be a ghost town. I think that's a good sign for T4.

1) Terminatrix: Not scary at all, not even after getting creative in the police car, and that was a let down.

2) Ever notice how Clare Danes does most of her emotions using her chin? (I first noticed this in Les Meserable (sp)). But after a rocky start, I ended up liking her character, which was a surprise.

3) John Conner: see #2, minus the chin.

4) I was very nervous about how much they played Arine for laughs. But juding by how much I and many others in the show were laughing, it was a smart move.

5) I was surprised by the general's instructions at the end, made for a better ending.

6) Someone above said the CGI looked like it was from Eraser. I agree, especially with the little bits added to the otherwise great car chase. Seeing the bad-CGI hanging Arine really took me out of the moment.

Overall a fun movie, just don't be expecting T2.

On on earlier topic, if Arnine is the T-800 101 skin model, what is the Franco Columbo model #?
Old 07-28-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I just saw T3 on Saturday night. The theater was packed except for a few seats here and there. I really enjoyed the movie. Very entertaining. The chase through the city was amazing! There are just a couple things that bothered me about T3.

#1 -- A little heavy on action and short on plot. From the get-go the movie is basically one huge chase that hardly slows down to catch a breath throughout. While this makes for some great edge-of-your-seat thrills, it left me wanting a more well-developed story.

#2 -- The movie was very humorous throughout. I enjoyed the levity and most of the GREAT Arnold lines (including "talk to the hand" and "I'll drive"), but in the end I started to think the references to T2 and cliched scripting was a tad overdone. They went to the well a few too many times, so to speak. For example, the "I'll be back" T2 line and its adaptations ("She'll be back" and "I'm back") made me cringe a bit. However, Arnold does deliver many hilarious one-liners that I enjoyed immensely. "We need a new vehicle" had me

Overall, it was a great movie. Money well spent. I liked it better than Matrix:Reloaded for sure. The effects were very well done. CGI was integrated very believably throughout. And to all those saying TX was not scary, I don't believe you. You can't honestly tell me that, having seen what she was capable of, you wouldn't be afraid if she was coming after you!

Great film, highly recommended.
Old 07-28-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally posted by sho kosugi
Ok, my turn, I was a little late in seeing it. First of all I was surprised how many people were at the show: 7/19 at 4:00.
We got there during the previews and couldn't get very good seats. I thought it would be a ghost town. I think that's a good sign for T4.

1) Terminatrix: Not scary at all, not even after getting creative in the police car, and that was a let down.

On on earlier topic, if Arnine is the T-800 101 skin model, what is the Franco Columbo model #?
I actually liked how she was not scary because it always bugged me that if the T-800 and T-1000 were meant for infiltrations and assasinations, they would all be noticable by how creepy they are. The T-1000 especially even though I liked how he could change its personality and body language at the drop of a hat. The T-800 on the other hand always looks grave and would be a dead giveaway that there's something not quite right about this guy.

But I can see why this is a problem for some since it means the T-X has less presence than the T-1000 or T-800. Though I must admit I was creeped out when
Spoiler:
The fiancée wakes up and she just turns around like a dead doll that's suddenly become animate.

As for Franco Columbu, in the end credits of The Terminator he's simply credited as "Future Terminator."

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-28-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
but "I'll be back" has been Arnold's signature line forever

Originally posted by taa455
For example, the "I'll be back" T2 line and its adaptations ("She'll be back" and "I'm back") made me cringe a bit. However, Arnold does deliver many hilarious one-liners that I enjoyed immensely. "We need a new vehicle" had me
Old 07-28-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
but "I'll be back" has been Arnold's signature line forever
It's been his signature line since The Terminator. He then used it in almost every movie he did after that.
Old 07-30-03, 01:07 AM

Well the line "I'll be back" is the second most popular and recognize line in a movie according to Guinness next to the # 1 most popular movie line " Bond, James Bond"
Old 07-30-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, I didn't read through this thread, but I thought that this was by far the worst of the 3. The script was horrible...my friend made the comment that it looked like it was written overnight.

The movie was kinda short. The actor who played John Connor looked like he was 15 while Claire Daine looked like she was 30. Plus she was taller than him. Those 2 had ZERO chemistry.

Plus, they gave the girl who played the bad Terminator 2 lines in the whole movie a la Kelly Hu in X2.

The action was good, but pretty unbelievable (e.g. the crane truck diggin' up the concrete).

Overall, I give this movie 1.5 stars.