Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

# of Tickets sales down (9%)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Movie Market needs another Spiderman, Star Wars, MBFGW and HP to pull it out of the "Slump".

I only see T3 being a true Blockbuster for the rest of the summer.

TLOTR will be coming out at the end of the year, but it won't be enough for the holiday.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fs/2003...700927700.html

"Overall, the national box office for the week ending June 26th was down 13% compared with last year, pushing the year-to-date totals to 4% behind those of last year's record pace. Unit ticket sales are now trailing last year's admissions estimates by approximately 9%."

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 06-30-03 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I blame bootleggers. If you ask me. Damn them and their free downloading taking away from the box office!!! DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!
Old 06-30-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
There is no way it has anything to do with the outragious price of movie tickets. This is obviously the work of bootleggers!!
Old 06-30-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I wouldn't bet the farm on T3, either. Maybe all this will force Hollywood to focus a little more on quality as opposed to quantity.
Old 06-30-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I blame bootleggers. If you ask me. Damn them and their free downloading taking away from the box office!!! DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!
But in Malaysia the sales of tickets are very high!Cause the government is killing the bootleg VCD & DVD shops.
Used to see a lot bootlegs but now it's almost zero.No one dares to sell it.Anyone buying it also is being fined heavily!
Old 06-30-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: # of Tickets sales down (9%)

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Looks like the Movie Market needs another Spiderman, Star Wars, MBFGW and HP to pull it out of the "Slump".

In my opinion, what they need to to is better police their moviehouses. I've personally been turned off to the big summer movie experience and most screenings between 5pm and 11pm because of the audience. If it's not teenagers running around like maniacs, 20-somethings on their cellphone, or people just having a conversation, I've really had it up to here. Now I realize we aren't in 1955 or 1985 for that matter, but there needs to be some civility restored, as well as an usher who's not afraid to act. Depending on the situation, I"ll speak out, but if I"m on a date, I"m not going to get into a shouting match or worse over a missed line of dialogue in "The Hulk." Instead, I just won't go. Of course, keeping prices reasonable would always be welcome, and they are on the cusp of perhaps having tickets priced at too high a level(if they are not already there, based on a 9 percent drop this year).