Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sci-Fi Books That Need to Become Movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a Book Talk question or a Movie Talk question? Hmm. Well, we'll go with Movie Talk for now...

Not all great sci-fi works need to be made into movies. Dune sucked, IMO. (And don't whine to me about the friggin' director's cut!) There is no need to make a movie based on Asimov's Foundation trilogy. And a lot of stuff by David Brin or Ben Bova is (again, IMO) too literary to make the leap to Hollywood.

A sci-fi book I would love to see become a movie: Liege-Killer by Christopher Hinz. Just a great book, great action, extremely visual, keep you guessing, great characters... man, the movie would absolutely rock! I am psyched just thinking about it.

Anyway, what are some other sci-fi books that are just screaming out to be made into big Hollywood movies?
Old 06-26-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None
Of
Them.

Leave books as books, films as films. The amount of time a film has succeeded its literary source can be counted on hands.

But if we had to go with it, a decent adaptation of I Am Legend by Richard Matheson would rock the house. Until that is a reality - and shut up all you "Omega Fans", and the five of you that saw "Last Man On Earth" - I'll just have to stick with 28 Days Later.
Old 06-26-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I don’t see adaptations of sci-fi novels as any more or less likely to succeed as any other genre. Many of my favorite movies in all genres are adaptations. Like many things, it’s not the concept that’s flawed; rather, the execution.

Some I would like to see….

Rendezvous With Rama (rumored)
The End of Eternity
Enders Game (rumored)
Foundation (rumored)
Snow Crash
Idoru
White Plague

Last edited by audrey; 06-26-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-26-03, 04:24 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I'd like to see a faithful version of the entire Hyperion Cantos. It would have to be a mini-series, though. Might work better as anime than as live-action.
Old 06-26-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I'll second the Hyperion Cantos. Preferably all four books as multi-part miniseries. But it would be a specila effects nightmare ... it would be near-impossible to the Shrike justice.

I would also love to a see a decent "Neuromancer" movie, but Gibson has so far proven well-nigh impossible to translate to the screen. They're gonna need a director with a hell of a vision, and an art director to match.
Old 06-26-03, 04:49 PM

I figured we would see a movie based on "The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" by now.
Old 06-26-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
None
Of
Them.

Leave books as books, films as films. The amount of time a film has succeeded its literary source can be counted on hands.

But if we had to go with it, a decent adaptation of I Am Legend by Richard Matheson would rock the house. Until that is a reality - and shut up all you "Omega Fans", and the five of you that saw "Last Man On Earth" - I'll just have to stick with 28 Days Later.
Michael Bay and Will Smith were talking about doing I am Legend. I haven't heard much about it recently though. At one point Schwarzenegger wanted to do it too, reportedly.

I hope Stranger in a Strange Land is never made into a movie, unless it's a really good one.

stoolie
Old 06-26-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
I'd like to see a faithful version of the entire Hyperion Cantos. It would have to be a mini-series, though. Might work better as anime than as live-action.
This is actually the first book series that I thought of. I think the Endymion series would make a better movie or miniseries, tho.
Old 06-26-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Wouldn't mind a Showtime or HBO mini(maxi?)series of Niven and Pournelle and Barnes's "Legacy of Heorot" -- possibly followed up by "Beowulf's Children"

That or "The Mote in God's Eye" or "Footfall."
Old 06-26-03, 09:32 PM
Suspended

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie is in production and will be coming out by Thanksgiving of 2005. Here is the link:

http://www.countingdown.com/movies/1...tem_id=3034932
Old 06-26-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I'd like to see a movie based on Battlefield Earth...
Old 06-26-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How about Xanth series by Piers Anthony?
Old 06-26-03, 11:01 PM

Well, something like Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer" or "Footfall" would be really good... any of their books would be good, actually, because they are very visual, except perhaps the "Man-Kzin Wars" series.

There was word of Martin Caidin's "Exit Earth" being turned into a movie. Or how about Greg Bear's "The Forge of God" and its sequel, "The Anvil of Stars"? All these catastrophic movies would do nicely, providing they're not turned into other "Armaggeddon" or "The Core"...
Old 06-26-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Old 06-27-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Well, something like Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer" or "Footfall" would be really good... any of their books would be good, actually, because they are very visual, except perhaps the "Man-Kzin Wars" series.
It would be about impossible to compress Lucifer's Hammer into a reasonable running length without gutting the story to the point of ruination. Footfall, on the other hand, could probably be done fairly well. Another one of theirs that might make decent screenplay fodder is The Mote in God's Eye, but it would be fairly gutted as well.

While not sci-fi per se, I am hoping that Terry Gilliam does eventually succeed in getting Pratchett and Gaiman's Good Omens made.
Old 06-27-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Or how about Greg Bear's "The Forge of God" and its sequel, "The Anvil of Stars"? All these catastrophic movies would do nicely, providing they're not turned into other "Armaggeddon" or "The Core"...
Taken from Greg Bear's web site...

Warner Brothers has just negotiated a potential three-picture deal for THE FORGE OF GOD, ANVIL OF STARS, and an as-yet unnamed and unwritten third novel set in the same timeline.

Screenwriter Ken Nolan ("Blackhawk Down") prepared a 70-page extended treatment, called by some a "scripment," of The Forge of God while working with Vince Gerardis of Created By, a Los Angeles management/production company that specializes in science fiction. Warner is commissioning two screenplays, with provisions for a third.

Richard Curtis Literary Associates sold the original novels to Tor and Warner Publishing and will negotiate any publishing deals for the third novel.

The deal is excellent, the "scripment" by Ken Nolan is extraordinary and very faithful to the novel, and Warner Bros.' enthusiasm and commitment to the project is exemplary. The deal was made at the behest of and with the total involvement of the highest management at Warner Bros., and was completed within one day of negotiation. Warner Bros. has expressed a desire to have all the elements in place to begin production as soon as possible. A director is not yet attached, but may be soon.

The goal of this project is ultimately to create a monumental, hard-sf motion picture trilogy, dealing with interstellar crime and punishment, completing the themes developed in The Forge of God (Tor 1987) and Anvil of Stars (Warner Books, 1992).
Old 06-27-03, 05:22 AM

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Stranger in a Strange Land

I have alos heard talk about a Fahrenheit 451 remake, would like to see that, think that movie could be improved upon.
Old 06-27-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Forever War is an excellent idea. (Several of Joe's books, Forever Peace, All My Sins Remembered and maybe the Worlds books, would be cool.)

Among Greg Bear's books, I'd sort of prefer to see Eon and Eternity, myself.

There were once rumors about James Cameron doing Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. If done correctly, those might set a new landmark.
Old 06-27-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
How about Xanth series by Piers Anthony?
Only the first three, please.
Old 06-27-03, 09:07 AM

Excellent news...

However, I'd like to see more classic SF books turned into decent movies. I'd love to see a nice adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End" or "The Songs of Distant Earth", a couple of A.E. van Vogt ("Space Beagle" and "The War Against The Rull" come to mind first)... was John Brunner's "Stand on Zanzibar" ever turned into a movie?

Among newer writers, Norman Spinrad's "Bug Jack Barron" and "Little Heroes" would be excellent choices. Or "Worlds Apart". And how about Gerard Klein's "Les Seigneurs de la Guerre" (sorry I have no idea what the English translation was), or Serge Brussolo's work?

Last edited by Playitagainsam; 06-27-03 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-27-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Xenogenesis series by Octavia Butler.
Old 06-27-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
I second Xenogenesis. And the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Old 06-27-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want:
White Mountains
City of Gold & Lead
Pool of Fire

Great stories that I have reread several times.

There was a British TV adaption called Tripods that was never finished. They were all turned into comics for Boys Life magazine back in the 80s.
Old 06-27-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by resinrats
I want:
White Mountains
City of Gold & Lead
Pool of Fire

Great stories that I have reread several times.

There was a British TV adaption called Tripods that was never finished. They were all turned into comics for Boys Life magazine back in the 80s.
Is that what they're called? Who's the author?

I really enjoyed those stories, but it seemed like there was just a smidge of a story in each issue and I had to wait forever for the next one. I've always wanted to pick them up.
Old 06-27-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to see Inter Ice Age 4 by Kobo Abe translated into film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.