Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How has your taste in movies changed over the years?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-27-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Did you used to just watch studio/popcorn stuff and then grew to like the more obscure material? Did you once watch movies and appreciate them on many levels and now just want to be entertained? Time can change a lot of things.

Until the age of 17, I really did little more than view movies for sheer entertainment value and the fluff of matinee time. Then again, I was living in a small town and studio fare was all we really got to view. It wasn't until 1994 that I saw the movies Schindler's List and The Piano that I began to realize there was more to film than meets the eye, and they could do more than just entertain you for a few hours. Within that same time period I rented the movie True Romance as nothing more than a way to kill time on a snowday off from school; it immediately made me look for anything else with the name Quentin Tarantino attached, which at the time was only Reservoir Dogs. Alas, my video store didn't carry it. I then read about QT writing some of the story for NBK and clamored to see both it and Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction was probably the first real indie flick I saw in theaters, and like everyone else who wanted something more from movies than conventional entertainment, I loved it. Of course at the time I was still playing the politics of being High School and recommending Forrest Gump to all the teachers and relatives, and saying Lion King was the best movie for depth, but deep down I knew Pulp Fiction was probably the most important movie of the 90s.
Going to college and being within driving distance of a large city gave me the freedom to actually see some more obscure movies in limited release, and while not all of them proved great, they offered more than fluff.
Where I stand right now, I tend to view movies for what they are. I love being entertained, but I want to see something that emphasizes story over glitter for the most part. Does this mean I don't like mindless action/adventure? Not at all, but I would also like to see more major movies made with an emphasis on characters and story over looking extravagant. During my exploration phase in '94, I began renting material like Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, and some David Lean epics. Shame how Hollywoood used to know how to get both story and glitz at the same time.

What's interesting to me is how many of my friends tastes have changed overtime. Some of them who used to only watch action and fluff have really begun to like indies and have begun to rent them more often, even looking into foreign films occasionally. On the flipside, guys that I knew in college who used to clamor for material like Kubrick or QT seem to have gotten to prefer mostly fluff after entering the workworld. Strange how things change.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 06-27-03 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it says something negative about me, but my taste honestly has NOT changed one bit, from when I was a kid, to now being an adult. As a child I loved horror movies, kung fu movies, sci-fi, & a certain type of comedy, & those are all the exact same things that I still love now. I see still hate all the same things also. Even as a kid, from early middle school (7th grade, I don't remember how old that is 11-12 maybe) when I really started becoming a big time movie buff, I always sought out the obscure. Even younger, grammar school real early years, while everyone was watching cartoons on Saturdays I was watching Shaw Bros. movies on channel 5, to this day I consider that to be one of my 2 biggest movie influences that shaped my taste. The other was that my dad would take me to see horror movies at an extremely young age, I rememer seeing Xtro (SP?), Chud, the Thing in the theaters when most parents would NEVER let their kids see these movies even MUCH older than I was. If coarse, I am now obsessed with horror movies & decensorized (sp?) to literally any type of movie, as long as it's fake. Stuff like Real TV, & real life things I can't handle. As a kid, it just stuck in my head that movies are not real. B/c of things like those early kung fu movies, & horror movies, they were the types of movies where even as a kid, I knew I was seeing something that was different than the average American movie, so that just stayed with me, I always sought out foreing movies, off-beat movies, stuff that was different from the norm. In no way am I saying I'm the king of non-mainstream. Just that my tastes were defined from an early age, & haven't strayed with age. I LOVE mainstrem movies also, but my favorite movies are always ones that attempt to be different, offer something you either haven't seen before, or perfect something you have seen.

Although that was a long answer for a simple question. Basically no, my tastes in movies has not really changed at all.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-27-03 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-27-03, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to only like Horror and comedy movies but now i'm starting to check out more drama's.
Old 06-27-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
My interests have broadened, so I'm not sure if they've "changed" since I still like the same type movies I always have. DVD has definately given me more access to movies I probably would not have seen. Plus it helps having cool theatrical art houses nearby
Old 06-27-03, 09:34 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't think my taste in movies has changed much in decades, but moving to a bigger city, the proliferation of the internet, and the advent of DVD has made me aware of more movies and given me the opportunity to view them.

The only change I've noticed is that these days I have greater insight into the actions of characters who are married, middle-age men...
Old 06-27-03, 10:12 PM
Banned

My tastes are still changing. I like good movies plain and simple. I favor no genre over another. To be honest DVDTalk has had a pretty significant impact on my movies likes and dislikes and has opened my eyes to some great movies.
Old 06-27-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My tastes have changed. Although they somewhat leveled over the years. There was a short period of time where I was really trying to appreciate Indie/Artsy stuff, but over time I realized most of it was actually crap. Now I tend to judge a movie on only one thing: Was I entertained. This simple fact has helped me to enjoy a lot more movies. Now I can say, "I liked Captain Ron" with only some embarrasment.

There were things I watched as a kid that I can't stand now... Neverending Story comes to mind. I used to think that movie was good?

For the most part though, my taste in movies over the last 10 years hasn't changed much.
Old 06-27-03, 11:50 PM
Rest in Peace

I still LOVE color movies over crappy to me Black and White. I still like California girl movies. I stopped watching TV about 1997, just too many commercials versus content and usually butchered movies.

I only watch Pay channel movies in OAR especially those in 1080i, Infrequently I record those movies, but not like I used to. Digital TV signals coming from the first cable TV in the world, who have the latest first. www.sectv.com
Old 06-28-03, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Not really... there's some movies I don't like that I used to like and others that I like now that I didn't like before. Other than that, I have the same taste basically.
Old 06-28-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been seeing more arty films recently.
Old 06-28-03, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. Ever since I was a kid I already liked to watch movie, although not as frequent as today. But anyway, about ten years ago I watched The Silence of the Lambs and Dances With Wolves, and I have never had any idea that any movie could be that good. At that point, I realized that movie is something that I can't live without, and I started to learn more about movie. Years later I learned that new movie isn't always good, there's a lot of great classic movie, movie isn't always about "cool", and it also brings a lot of new perspective to me. In short, my taste of movie has changed a lot, and it's still changing right now.
Old 06-28-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my taste in films has grown more over the years to cover a larger range of films and more importantly I have learned to appreciate films on more levels then when I was younger. Of course when it comes time to buy DVD's etc I still tend to side with action / comedy films being I know I will watch them more then say a film like Rabbit Proof Fence. Ah but say 10 years ago I might never have even bothered to rent Rabbit Proof Fence..

The internet has helped a ton being I might of passed on some films if it were not for places like here were I can read people rave about how good such and such film is and so on. This helps a lot being sooooo many films come out in so little time. Also the IMDB has let me find other films by directors I like etc and that would have been too much work for me to bother with 10 years ago.

Errrr and I hate to say this but I have also became sort of become a film snob also. Shocked that others don't see and appreciate movies on the level that I do. Ya know, the director's vision, direction of camera work on a given film etc etc or if they don't track the story and pick up the little hints and so on.. Errrr maybe I should just say that I'm starting to think most don't watch a film, they just sort of sit there waiting for the end (see that is pretty snob like of me heh).

Take for example the film "Narc". Many of my friend thought it was crap being there was not enough action it in.. sigh....
Old 06-28-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts
I still look for good titty flicks

I think as I've gotten older, I became more aware of things in film. It hasn't so much changed my tastes as it has to enhance my tastes of what a good film is to me. I've come to appreciate story as much as visualization.
Old 06-28-03, 10:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in my late teens, my favorite filmmaker was Tony Scott

in my early twenties, it was Scorsese

now in my late twenties, it is Kieslowksi