Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Too Funny! Box Office Mojo: From Justin to Kelly vs. Glitter

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-28-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Justin to Kelly vs. Glitter

Jason
Old 06-28-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We were at the theater tonight, and noticed some friends at the other end of the multiplex headed into the 10 o'clock showing of "FJ2K". I can't be 100% sure, but I believe they were the only people in that auditorium.
Old 06-28-03, 05:15 AM

Friends don't let friends watch FJ2K.
Old 06-28-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You want to know what's ever funnier than that?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/vs-summer03.htm

A movie about a fish is kicking the **** out of Rave Scene Reloaded!!!

Old 06-28-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by pixyboi
You want to know what's ever funnier than that?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/vs-summer03.htm

A movie about a fish is kicking the **** out of Rave Scene Reloaded!!!

One is rated R while the other is PG.. it's summer. You do the math and you could see that it's apples and oranges there.
Old 06-28-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
One is rated R while the other is PG.. it's summer. You do the math and you could see that it's apples and oranges there.
It is apples and oranges but not favoring Nemo as you imply. Nemo ("G" rated by the way which some would consider a disadvantage in itself) is rather impressive considering that most of the box office is coming from cheaper matinee and children's tickets. On the other hand Matrix is handicapped by being an R rated film only available to those over 17 (yeah, right ).

They both are working with very different but probably about equal disadvantages when it comes to box office take.
Old 06-28-03, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RoboDad
We were at the theater tonight, and noticed some friends at the other end of the multiplex headed into the 10 o'clock showing of "FJ2K". I can't be 100% sure, but I believe they were the only people in that auditorium.
I'm waiting for the six-disc limited special collector's ultimate Criterion edition with the director's cut that's more faithful to the original Kubrick screenplay, has an audio commentary track from Steven Spielberg and Oliver Stone, and comes with a lifesize Kelly doll.
Old 06-28-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by moocher
On the other hand Matrix is handicapped by being an R rated film only available to those over 17 (yeah, right ).

They both are working with very different but probably about equal disadvantages when it comes to box office take.
Actually, this leads to a huge disadvantage for matrix reloaded. Theaters are really strict about carding for R-rated movies now, especially for ones like the matrix that would attract many who are under 17. Lots of people under 17 still see the movie--you just buy tickets to another movie that's not rated R and then go to the movie you actually want to see. I would guess that this has happened quite frequently to the matrix.
Old 06-28-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
POP FLOP SHOWDOWN is the funniest damn title.

I love BOM

On a side note - Matrix: Reloaded had to fight the R-rated problem, but had buckets upon buckets of hype to run it. Finding Nemo has the G-rated stigma (yea, such a thing exists), where it's avoided on the basis that it's G (since that means it's for children, remember? ) and being a new series, had really no hype.

Oh and on top of that - both are Family movies. (Reloaded had a strangely high occurance of family attendance, but I suppose it isn't a surprise being The Matrix was almost the quintessential family action movie (and still don't know how that got an R rating))

-Rich

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had no hype? Anyone who's ever liked a Pixar flick knew it would be good.
Old 06-28-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the tickets sold for Nemo went for $4-$5. Most of the tickets sold for Reloaded went for $7-$10. I see that as a huge advantage for MR in gate receipts. I don't know if it is tracked or not but I bet the total number of tickets sold for Nemo far exceeds that of MR.

In response to other comments:

1. Both movies were very highly hyped.
2. Theaters around me are not strict at all about movies such as The Matrix but they are strict about "hard R" movies like Unfaithful. This probably depends on the area and the manager.
3. Many adults will not go see an animated G rated film no matter how good it is. The "G" stigma does exist. That is why Dreamworks always throws some cussing and sexual innuendo in their animated films to get the PG rating (a shame, me thinks).
4. If Reloaded is a "family" film for some families then we have a serious problem in this country.
Old 06-28-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Uh.. if you don't think PIXAR's name appeal alone is enough to give it a good box office draw you must be living under a rock. Pixar's name is very well known with quality and home entertainment since it goes hand in hand with disney.. Not to mention the tons of toys and items that go along with it in the disney store..

So both have had about the same amount of "hype" to them and Nemo still does have the G rating family friendly Summer appeal.
Old 06-28-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
I love talking out of my ass and getting the responses I don't mean the garner.

Anywho..

4. If Reloaded is a "family" film for some families then we have a serious problem in this country.
Agreed there, but it's a follow up to a movie that a lot of families saw and really saw little problem with. (Which is arguable, but it's just kind of a "where I came from" thing.)

PIXAR is a huge crowd drawer, tho I suppose I didn't see it that way since I've really disliked a majority of their movies... which is why I don't represent a very big group. And Nemo did have a lot of hype (opening numbers show that)

I forget what a pain in the ass it is getting into an R movie when you're under 17. Mostly because everytime I end up at an R movie it's pretty full, and there's often a lot of little kids in there (which IS ****ed up, who brings their 6 and 7 year old girls to see Blade II? Theater was full of little kids.. was like watching Shrek and Ice Age all over again.)

Oh well, at least From Justin to Kelly is down 82% from last weekend.

Anyway, no more posts from me.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-03 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts
R. Lee Ermey was in Se7en as well as Full Metal Jacket.
Old 06-28-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally I think a G rating has far less of an impact then an R rating. Matrix is definatly at a greater disadvantage... not that it really matters. I enjoyed them both and could care less which movie has the better box office. Not sure why its supposed to be funny that Nemo will have the bigger total.

As for the subject, funny stuff I actually saw parts of Glitter... it definatly was a stinker, and the 2nd worst movie i've ever seen. I wonder if i'll ever catch From Justin to Kelly
Old 06-28-03, 07:46 PM
mwj

Both G and R rated films have a stigma, but where I live it's pretty hard to get into an R rated film unless you are 17. Also G movies are parent pleasers especially when well done. With Pixar that is a given. It would be interesting to know if the producers of the Matrix sequels contemplated PG13 at any point.
Old 06-28-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finding Nemo will surpass Matrix by next week, I know a decent amount of adults who watched Nemo. My friends parents who go to movies alot saw and they are 50+ and they loved the movie. R is more handicapped and I think they may give a big push to get revolutions a pg-13 rating, not like reloaded is really R rated, except for that rave scene.
Old 06-28-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The W brothers badly wanted an R rating for both Matrix and Reloaded. I don't know why as they easily could have gotten a PG13 by cutting some of the completely unnecessary "rave" scenes in Zion (which were overlong and detracted from the film IMO). I doubt they will change for Revolutions.

It seems that I read somewhere that if they did not get an R rating, they would add stuff to get the R. Weird!