Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bourne Identity -- D: Liman --- S: Damon

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-22-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few questions for y'all out there. I was at Barnes&Noble the other day and saw alot of the other Bourne books available. ANyone know if Universal/Matt Damon/etc. have any plans to turn this film into a franchise? I think it would be great, and there is definately potential. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
With Bourne getting into the century club, I would assume it's a safe bet.
Old 01-22-03, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by The Bus
With Bourne getting into the century club, I would assume it's a safe bet.
He drank a 100 shots in 100 minutes! Wow that guy really does kick ass!!
Old 01-22-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that the original plan was to do the following two movies, if the first one did well.

The Bourne Idenity (by Robert Ludlum) was followed up by The Bourne Supremecy and The Bourne Ultimatum.
Old 01-22-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I believe there was talk of the Bourne Supremacy

Although it is somewhat dated...

Last edited by chanster; 01-22-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Bourne Identity was a very pleasant surprise for me, i really enjoyed it, and would like to see a sequel for it as well....plus it performed very strongly at the box-office, so chances might be good.
Old 01-23-03, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by kian69
The Bourne Identity was a very pleasant surprise for me, i really enjoyed it, and would like to see a sequel for it as well....plus it performed very strongly at the box-office, so chances might be good.
likewise. heres hoping if the franchise continues, they're as strong as identity.
Old 01-23-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by torrance
likewise. heres hoping if the franchise continues, they're as strong as identity.
I'll totally agree with that.
Old 01-23-03, 09:27 AM

The Bourne Identity ending? ::SPOILER::

I am a little embarrassed to admit this and I don't know if it was just me, but I had a hard time understanding the end of The Bourne Identity. I enjoyed the movie, but the end through me off. Now, Was he an assassin that went rouge and that is why Chris Cooper is trying to kill him? I have a problem with that because Cooper say he was just an observer and was never ordered to kill anyone. How can you be an assassin the never kills anyone? Am I missing something...Also, why was Chris Cooper killed?
Old 01-23-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess the sequels could go off in a little different direction, considering the first movie was fairly far removed from the book. I just don't see how The Bourne Ultimatum could be made, considering they cut out
Spoiler:
Carlos
from the movie, which is odd, considering he is the entire basis for the story.
Old 01-23-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chris Cooper was "retired" because he failed to terminate Bourne. Cooper wanted Bourne in a body bag because Bourne failed to carry on with his assignment (kill Wambosi).
Old 01-23-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
He didn't say that Bourne wasn'e sent to kill Wombosi, he said he was sent to kill him and make it look like someone else killed him. So the CIA will not be blamed. Bourne was an assassin, but one so highly trained that no one ever sees him. Cooper's character was trying to kill him because he thought that Bourne had gone rougue. When they tried to simply capture him at the Embassy, he tore up the place, so they assumed he had gone bad. Cooper's character was killed because his boss simply wanted the whole project cleaned up and shut down. He was killed so that Cooper's mistakes would not ever reach his boss.
Old 01-23-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They can always introduce the
Spoiler:
Carlos
character in the intro of the next movie.
Old 01-23-03, 09:35 PM

I still Don't Get why He wanted to Kill Bourne???? So he failed a mission bring him back, WTF??? Did they kill Hopkins in BAD COMPANY when they killed his partner???? They were after him since the beginning, WTF???
Old 01-23-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
MarcinL: Cover flaws in his perfect system... Treadstone wasn't supposed to have any problems - and since Bourne went missing, they figured he'd be a loose end and those need to be snipped - that and they'd be in deep **** if he went rogue.

Thus he chooses to assassinate Bourne, that way it's a contained problem - and it wasn't a failure in the program itself.

And it all comes down to budget meeting, heh.

-Rich
Old 01-25-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Too much unexplained...

OK. I just watched this last night for the first time. I understand that Bourne was an assassin working for the CIA. What I don't get is the comment about Bourne being a "30 million dollar weapon." Can someone explain this to me? Is he part robot? Does he have some kind of microprocessor implanted in his brain? Or (more likely) is that 30 mil figure simply the cost of the "training program" for black-ops agents? Also, are there more agents like Bourne or is he one of a kind? I heard the other sniper guy say, "we always work alone." But does that mean that he is the same kind of agent that Bourne is? Did he cost 30 million dollars also? Because the guy that Bourne took out with the shotgun did not seem near as badass as Bourne was.
Old 01-25-03, 10:25 AM

The Way I took it is that they were altered somehow(CIA Codename:TreadStone) to make them respond to codewords or phrases when they appeared on their phone. When these words were heard or read, they were activated and given a mission to carry out. They were given a deadline and resources to carry this out (passports and what not). Bourne's assignment was the assisnation of Wambosi and the others had the obejctive to kill Bourne and Cooper respectively. The experiment done on them is eveident by the "headaches" they talk about in the field.
The Amnesia has nothing to do with the project, but rathe was a prodcut of his being shot and adrift in the ocean.
Old 01-25-03, 12:10 PM

Re: Too much unexplained...

Originally posted by taa455
OK. I just watched this last night for the first time. I understand that Bourne was an assassin working for the CIA. What I don't get is the comment about Bourne being a "30 million dollar weapon." Can someone explain this to me? Is he part robot? Does he have some kind of microprocessor implanted in his brain? Or (more likely) is that 30 mil figure simply the cost of the "training program" for black-ops agents? Also, are there more agents like Bourne or is he one of a kind? I heard the other sniper guy say, "we always work alone." But does that mean that he is the same kind of agent that Bourne is? Did he cost 30 million dollars also? Because the guy that Bourne took out with the shotgun did not seem near as badass as Bourne was.

It took $30M to train him, it's just like the Delta Force members each took $2M + 6 yrs to train. There's other agents like Bourne, such as the ones they activated to get rid of Bourne, and I'd guess they were $30M each as well.
Old 01-25-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MarcinL
I still Don't Get why He wanted to Kill Bourne???? So he failed a mission bring him back, WTF??? Did they kill Hopkins in BAD COMPANY when they killed his partner???? They were after him since the beginning, WTF???
That's what I was thinking. You would thing that Ben Affleck would have shown up to help his buddy right? I mean he was in the CIA in The Sum of All Fears, so they must know each other in Bourne Identiy right?

Seriously, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-25-03, 11:52 PM
Suspended

I thought it was a great movie, just watched it for the first time tonight.

One thing that I've really been wondering is, what was the deal with the headaches that the assassins had? Borne mentions having a constant headache when he's in the car talking to whats-her-face. And then, the assassin in the field was talking about them too.
Old 01-26-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by necros
One thing that I've really been wondering is, what was the deal with the headaches that the assassins had? Borne mentions having a constant headache when he's in the car talking to whats-her-face. And then, the assassin in the field was talking about them too.
Yeah, I'm hoping that is something cleared up if they ever complete the trilogy. Also they could clear up the rest of Bourne's history, as well as building on the story a bit more. Ludlum wrote three books with the Bourne character, and I'm hoping the studio follows through on the success of this movie.

I loved the movie.
Old 01-26-03, 06:40 AM

yeah i think perhaps the headaches are a result of some sort of psuedo-brainwashing they received during their "training" to help remove any reservations about killing people.
Old 01-28-03, 01:39 PM
Banned

Bourne Identity story problem

I watched it for the second time last night and I really like the Bourne Identity, but I think they made one very bad choice. (BTW, I havn't read the book)
SPOILERS BELLOW

I thought the filmmakers made a bad choice when they chose to reveal the nature of Bourne's character to the audience so early. In the first 10 minutes of the film, Bourne doesn't even know his name yet, and we already know that he is a secret agent for the USA. I think it would be more fun for the audience if, as Bourne goes on his adventure, we weren't several steps ahead of him. When Bourne discovers he is an assasin at the end of the film we are not surprised, we've known it all along.

By revealing his back story to the audience it allows for the parallel story of Chris Cooper and the CIA trying to catch him. But I don't think this parallel story is good enough to warent having to tell the audience so much so early. I would have prefered to find things out about Bourne as he did. I would have prefered to be in suspense as to the tru nature of this mysterious Bourne character.
Old 01-28-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. . . sort of.
Yes, the audience was one step ahead of Bourne, but I also think that helped make the story less confusing. I think the suspense worked well enough as written.
At the same time, other films have pulled off the "figure it out at the same time as the character" plot very well. It worked in Memento, I just don't think it would have worked as well in this mainstream blockbuster film. That's JMO.
Old 01-28-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that the trailer, DVD art, poster, etc would have given away that he was some sort of spy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.