Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

T3 Score + Movie Questions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Opening Day???
Hells yes, wouldn't miss Ahnold for the world.
41.67%
Hells yes, I want to see T-X (gratuitous eyecandy).
5.56%
Hells yes!
33.33%
What? T-3? You mean a calculator? Shoot me, I'm so lost.
2.78%
No. I would rather eat fungus and animal dross for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is moved here only because there was barely any feedback in the "music" section. I'm sure as hell not a hardcore lover of the Terminator trilogy, but hey, questions need answering. Plus, you people love polls, hehe.

Does anyone know why Brad Fiedel wasn't asked to score for the movie this time around? I'm wondering why Beltrami was called in for this last installment. Could it be because Jonathan Mostow is directing and not James Cameron? I don't about you, but I think composer continuity is key when scoring for most sequels, trilogies, or series...

Also... is anyone here actually familiar with the works of Marco Beltrami? ...Anyone here knowledgeable about his music? If so, what do you think about his working on T3?
Old 06-18-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wasn't sure what to vote for... not opening day, but i'll probably see it the week after or something.
Old 06-19-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm there on opening day to be sure.
Old 06-19-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: T3 Score + Movie Questions

I think Fiedel is a Cameron choice. I read somewhere that Fiedel's classic theme will be used in the opening and closing credits. I don't remember where I read that though.

I agree with you, Fhaggis. I am worried about the music in this one. Nothing makes me think Terminator more than the score from the first two.

As for Marco Beltrami, he's scored a lot of movies, though none with resoundingly memorable scores I don't think.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Beltrami,+Marco

stoolie
Old 06-19-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, if you look here at Fiedel's IMDB page, he is in fact listed for the theme in T3.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Fiedel,+Brad

stoolie
Old 06-19-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brad Fiedel's theme is only used in the end credits of the movie, albeit in a slightly modified version(probably the rock version that was in the tv spots). As for the movie itself I will wait for the dvd. When a franchise gets to the third movie everything always seems a little stale. JP 3 was terrible, Batman Forever was atrocious, Superman 3 was absolute crap, even Return of the Jedi showed how Lucas was already leaning toward the kiddie crowd and losing touch with his core audience. I have no expectations about T3 other than I will probably like it the least of the Terminator movies.
Old 06-19-03, 02:18 PM
Banned

I'm skipping this one. I might see it for free if my buddy can get me in, but I wouldn't pay for this.
Old 06-19-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been waiting a long time for this one - I'm there on opening day.
Old 06-19-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
I'll probably see it but I'd be a lot more excited if Cameron, Hamilton or even Edward Furlong were involved.

I'm hoping at the very least they will tie it in well with the ending of T2.
Old 06-20-03, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Stoolie
Also, if you look here at Fiedel's IMDB page, he is in fact listed for the theme in T3.
Yeah, Fiedel still composed it, but Beltrami's arranging it for the movie. I've been looking into the score and came upon this legal issue where Beltrami distributed clips/demos to a fan. For a time, they were released online (something authorized by the composer himself!), but soon after, they were removed/reclaimed by WB et al. Did anyone manage to hear or get a hold of them before that incident?

I also did some research on MB's music... as I stated before, his style (during movies) eluded me quite a bit. I found a lot of full tracks here MARCOBELTRAMI.COM and decent samples here MUSIC OF MB. FTR, there's no T3 music on his site. It's weird... his music seems like a total mix of so many composers in a number of albums: Serra, Goldenthal, Zimmer, Silvestri, Elfman, and at times, even a generic Rachel Portman--although not anywhere as light. Anyone care for a listen?

As I said before in my other thread, I personally think T3 will be interesting and very stylish if nothing else. If the screenwriting is decent, we should at the most get something along the lines of U-571, but even better. U-571 totally lacked substance; a lot of cool thrills, stylized explosions, melodrama, blah dialogue/acting, and an inane/whoopdidoo ending. I think T3 will be fraught with all kinds of neato things... the female teminator is a nice change in pace. :P If she can pull off being convincingly creepy, that'll be the day since I haven't seen anything that cool since... (off the top of my head) Superman 3's macabre feature.

Hey, if you can't annihilate John Connor with programmed, cutting edge onslaughts, you might as well try and seduce him to death!
Old 06-22-03, 12:44 AM

No one? At all??? (dumps napalm on the irritating crickets)
Old 06-22-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I am kind of in the middle. Definitely somewhere between "hell yes" and that animal dross thing. (Interesting use of the word "dross" here... not sure I would use that same word, but good to see someone trying to come with imaginative words for crap!)

There does not seem to be a single scene in the trailers that make me say "whoa!" -- like the Agent Smith scene in Matrix Reloaded or the truck-off-a-bridge-scene in T2. So yeah, I'll see it, but not with the same held-breath anticipation of, say, X2 or Matrix Reloaded.
Old 07-01-03, 04:36 PM

HEY!

For skeptics, check out this thread... and my recent post! (-;

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...16#post3801116
Old 07-01-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as the thread says "major f'n spoilers!" but he liked it, he gave it an 8.5 out of 10. It seems to be more action packed then the others.
Old 07-02-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
There does not seem to be a single scene in the trailers that make me say "whoa!" -- like the Agent Smith scene in Matrix Reloaded or the truck-off-a-bridge-scene in T2. So yeah, I'll see it, but not with the same held-breath anticipation of, say, X2 or Matrix Reloaded.
Actually, I thought the previews for T3 were kinda lame. I didn't expect much. But I have to say that they definitely kept the best parts out of the commercials and trailers. The action in T3 was better than anything in Matrix: Reloaded and I feel it even tops T2's truck-off-the-bridge-scene (although I love that scene since it's a practical stunt).