Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-16-03, 05:14 PM   #1
chrisfarrar

Narc opinions

Hey, i was thinking about picking up this dvd tomm, just wanted some opinions?

My DVD's
Old 06-16-03, 05:24 PM   #2
FunkDaddy J
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

I think it's one of the best films of 2002, and Paramount has put together a great DVD:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6630
Old 06-16-03, 05:29 PM   #3
purplechoe
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
I think it's one of the best films of 2002, and Paramount has put together a great DVD:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6630
I was on the fence about this dvd. Thanks for the review, I'll be picking this one up tomorrow.
Old 06-16-03, 07:04 PM   #4
WillyShatsWig

Another review here.
Old 06-16-03, 09:30 PM   #5
DavidH
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good movie, but definitely a bite off of Training Day.
Old 06-16-03, 09:38 PM   #6
folgersnyourcup
Banned

This is a must-buy disc for me tomorrow. I'll be trying to track down a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea disc as well.

I swear, I'm just getting more and more excited about well mastered dvd's like Narc and wonderful classics like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and The Love Bug being released with great picture quality and wonderful extras.

It's a wonderful time to love dvd's! (But bad for my checking account.....yikes! 26 discs in the last month purchased!)
Old 06-16-03, 10:26 PM   #7
mwj

Here is one more review. Sounds good.

review
Old 06-16-03, 11:23 PM   #8
danol
Rest in Peace

If you like Jason Patrick he was in another one called RUSH with Jenifer Jason Leigh, Greg Allman, and Sam Elliott.

P.S. I watch these DVD to see what I was after my career ending accident and all my friends seen I was in sitting in a wheelchair at my local roller rink. Here take this, you got the wrong cigarette
after a year I was burnt out and feeling no pain but I was broke.

Watch these DVD but don't get the itch to try thinking you can't get addited if you do your dead wrong in a New York minute. The only thing I didn't do was mainline some brown or china white Heroin. All the rest you can think of except Exstasy and I crawled out of using it all to get rid of the thought of never walking again!

Year was July of 1985 to June 1986, I have stayed clean for 17 years now, now am just addicted to hanging out on the internet. I will watch Narc or Rush to remind me no human being can beat it!

Just like Tony Montana the idea is don't get high on your own supply, and the character Al Pacino played did get high on his own supply and
Spoiler:
killed his best friend, he didn't even give him time to explain he married his sister, just gunned him down if front if his sister that told him they were married. She asked if he wanted 'her' then she started shooting first. Tony never felt any pain using a 8 ball or 1/8 of a ounce a day.
Old 06-17-03, 10:12 AM   #9
mdc3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you like gritty cop dramas and want to see some top notch acting, then most definately check out NARC... It was really really damn good.

MATT

Letterboxd
Rank 'Em As You See Them 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 Spending Tab 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
Old 06-17-03, 11:18 AM   #10
roger_d
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked it up at Target for $15.99. Cheapest place that has it.
Old 06-17-03, 12:00 PM   #11
theneobez
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was average for me personally, not really my type of film though. Like what everyone else said, if you like gritty crop dramas go pick it up.
Old 06-17-03, 12:08 PM   #12
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Danol you did drugs?
Old 06-17-03, 02:50 PM   #13
kmac2878
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Drugs are bad, mmkay."
My Videogame Collection l 360 Voice Blog
Old 06-17-03, 03:22 PM   #14
Sessa17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't seen the DVD, but I feel this is a "rental" movie, DEFINITELY not a blind buy movie on less your a die-hard cop movie fan.

I love dark movies, I'm a big Liotta fan. But the movie is just typical. Take out the cursing & it could have easily been a made for TV movie. Liota was good, but he just played Liota, the same character he always plays. Patrick was good but I find the guy pretty bland. I know there are people that love this movie, but I have to wonder if they have seen a lot of cop/crime movies, b/c for me, I've seen tons of movies just like this one.
Old 06-17-03, 04:22 PM   #15
shanester
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Danol you did drugs?
It all makes sense now.. I need to be high on something to unscramble his posts
Denon AVR-788 7.1 Set Up

387 Blu-Rays
Old 06-17-03, 04:29 PM   #16
FunkDaddy J
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Sessa17
I know there are people that love this movie, but I have to wonder if they have seen a lot of cop/crime movies, b/c for me, I've seen tons of movies just like this one.
I'll have to politely disagree. I've seen many cop/crime films, and rarely is there so much broiling beneath the surface. NARC's parallel, interlocking stories involving children/innocence elevated the film, in my opinion. And I think both Liotta and Patric are underrated actors doing some of their best work here.

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 06-17-03 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 06:03 PM   #17
Sessa17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
I'll have to politely disagree. I've seen many cop/crime films, and rarely is there some much broiling beneath the surface. NARC's parallel, interlocking stories involving children/innocence elevated the film, in my opinion. And I think both Liotta and Patric are underrated actors doing some of their best work here.

No problem. I totally agree w/ the "boiling beneath the surface" that is apparent in this movie. But it is absolutely done the same way in many other movies (LA Confidential for one, does it better w/ Crowe & Spacey's fallen character), & even by the same actors. I'm a big Liotta fan, but this is the same performance he almost always does. Patrick just gives the same performance he did in Rush. The movie is by no stretch a bad movie. I just feel it is a typical movie, nothing sets it apart from countless other cop/crime dramas. Again, except for the profanity, there was nothing in this movie I couldn't see in a Law & Order special.
Old 06-17-03, 06:13 PM   #18
NaturalMystic79
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definately a great dark, gritty cop film. I picked this up from Best Buy today for $17.99. I would of gotten it at Target for $15.99 but it was out of my way.
Old 06-17-03, 06:32 PM   #19
teddydogg
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Definately a great dark, gritty cop film. I picked this up from Best Buy today for $17.99. I would of gotten it at Target for $15.99 but it was out of my way.

Thats what price matching is for all you have to do is bring in the ad and they will match the price saving you $2 + tax.

My Collection
Old 06-18-03, 07:47 AM   #20
harosa
DVD Talk Special Edition

NARC is in no way a Training Day clone and the movie has a definite twist that wasnt given away in the trailers. Great, gritty performances and a dark look at undercover cops.
Old 06-18-03, 12:21 PM   #21
uteotw
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I rented this one last night instead of buying it and I guess I'm glad I did.

I thought the acting was first-rate, esp. Ray Liotta--absolutely tremendous and I'd almost buy it just because of that. Jason Patric was very good too.

HOWEVER, the ending left me a bit soured. Basically
Spoiler:
Jason Patric killed Ray Liotta because he believed he (Oak) had murdered the other cop. But then we find out the other cop blew his own brains out--so now Patric has killed a baby (in the first scene, not on purpose, of course) and now a fellow cop for wholly misplaced reasons. And now he gets to go home to his wife and kid (or had they already left?) and live with that. Just not a story line I can see myself watching over & over.

I can't really believe that Patric, an experienced undercover narcotics agent, would be convinced that fast by two drug- and gun-running criminals--convinced enough to kill Oak. I guess you could say he killed Oak because he believed Oak was going to kill the tied-up criminals, but I just couldn't buy it. Great acting, good twist, but just didn't sit well w/me.

Thoughts?
Old 07-12-03, 04:45 AM   #22
Deftones
DVD Talk God

since this was the most recent thread, I'll post in it.

Man, this was a great flick. I meant to check it out in the theaters, but I never got around to it. The story was phenomenal. Jason Patric and Ray Liotta were amazing in it. I liked the gritty feel of the city and how they did their jobs. Probably one of the best flicks I've seen this year so far.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-12-03, 12:56 PM   #23
FireStarta316

Amazing movie, you will love it
Old 07-12-03, 02:50 PM   #24
ArchibaldTuttle

I thought it was really well done as well, but to me it just seemed like an episode of NYPD blue or a similar show with high production value, don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem like anything special
Old 07-12-03, 04:29 PM   #25
Frank TJ Mackey
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great little flick.

suspenseful, well acted, enjoyable
Sponsored Links