Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bond Girl Thread: who would you like to see as one, who never should have been?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Bond Girl Thread: who would you like to see as one, who never should have been?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Decker
I'd like to see someone who was really intelligent, who really challenges him. Maybe Kirsten Dunst, Charleze Theron or Penelope Cruz.
Let's just say I hope you never make a bond film
Old 06-16-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
I think those first two actresses have made some good choices with roles that made them come across intelligently. Dunst has shown some dramtic range in things like Crazy/ Beautiful and Theron was very good in Cider House Rules. They're more than just window dressing (even if Sam Rami may see Kristen that way). That third choice, well, that might just be my pants talking, but I think Cruz and Bronson would make a very sexy couple (and far more believable than Cruz and Cruise, like anyone buys THAT ).
Old 06-16-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

One more time for Decker, who I guess isn't paying attention:

My problem with these "superstar" bond girls:

Remember the days when the Bond girl was an exotic new ingénue that no one had ever seen before? These girls often didn't speek english and had to be dubbed. It didn't matter because they were smokin' hot. You went to the movie and were like, "damn who is that piece of @ss? I've never seen her before."

Now we get an Acadamey Award winning actress as the bond girl. WTF, Bond is not supposed to bang an Oscar winner(or a superstar), he's supposed to bang the former Miss Hungry, and she's supposed to moan, "Oh James" in all her dubbed glory. I don't want to see some big name actress in the role. There is no mystery, and no excitement of discovery.

Superstar Bond Girls will be the death of the franchise. When it stops being about bond and starts being about "who will the next bond girl be? Will it be Nicole? or Julia? what about J-Lo? IT WILL KILL THE FRANCHISE FASTER THAN ONE MILLION S.P.E.C.T.R.E. AGENTS AND ALL THE GIMICKY GADGETS AND PRODUCT PLACEMENT EVER COULD.

Dead....like a doornail. I hope the MGM execs aren't listing to you.

[fanboy]Oh but if Sarrah Michele Gallar was a Bond girl it would make my underdeveloped fanboy labido beat-off with a ferocity not seen since I discovered Nivea handcream!!![/fanboy]

Last edited by Pants; 06-16-03 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 03:13 PM

Halley Berry is a superstar, Charleze Theron isn't. I would put all three actresses in the next tier. If you want an unkown, well that's fine. I have a hard time casting unknowns since I don't see that many small independant and foreign films. I agree Berry was too distracting and I was disheartened that she was featured so prominantly in the ad, as the co-star of the film.

The unknown Bond girls of recent film haven't blown me away either (with the exception, of course, of Fameke Jannsen). It's not like Isabella Scorupco or Maryam D'Abo brought a whole lot to the franchise. If you get a good actor in the role, I don't care if I've seen them before. If you get a forgettable pretty face screaming "James! Help me!", well then I check out.

One of my recent favorites : Carrie Lowell who broght something unique to the roll, but wasn't given a lot to do and was saddled in by far the gloomiest Bond outing ever. Someone like that would be interesting.

The bottom line is this : Bond is the only thing keeping MGM alive. Period. If they think that having a famous actress as the Bond girl will help with the box office, then they'll bring one in. They can't afford to have a Bond film flop; it's a franchise they need to endure. I can't argue with that strategy. When Bronson steps down, you can be certain they'll go with another famous name. They don't want a repeat of the Dalton years (though I always thought he was pretty good).
Old 06-16-03, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denise Richards, Tanya Roberts, Halle Berry, Teri Hatcher and Madonna should have never been Bond girls.

Would love to see Kristen Kreuk, Gillian Anderson or Finola Hughes as a Bond Girl

Last edited by Spooky; 06-16-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Originally posted by Face/Off
Vanessa Marcil
I think this would be great. She is an underappreciated beauty.

Oh, and I will beat Rabbit77 to it... Aishwarya Rai or Sushmita Sen

Old 06-16-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey. It's Sushmita Sen. Ms. Universe '94. I remember her cuz that year they held the pageant in the Philippines. Everyone wanted Ms. Belgium to win. Which reminds me, she could make a good eye-candy Bond Girl.
Old 06-16-03, 10:01 PM

Should never have been: Halle Berry and Madonna

Would like to see:

Monica Belucci

Catherine Bell
Old 06-16-03, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by DRG
As for "never should've been", I'll second Denise Richards (she might've worked as a villain's girlfriend, but not as a scientist)
But Denise Richards looks like an Academy Award winning actress compared to Lois Chiles in Moonraker.
Old 06-17-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Ines Sastre? She fulfills all of the requirements: she's gorgeous and isn't well known to many Americans.

I hadn't thought about it in such terms, but I think Pants might be right. I know I was absolutely blown away the first time I saw Carole Bouquet and the novelty of her not being previously known to me combined with her breathtaking beauty to make her deeply appealing.
Old 06-17-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd like to see more of the tall brunette Bond girl in the opening sequence to "Tomorrow Never Dies" (not Sophie or Denise from that film).
Old 06-17-03, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I'd like to see more of the tall brunette Bond girl in the opening sequence to "Tomorrow Never Dies" (not Sophie or Denise from that film).
Uh, they weren't in Tomorrow Never Dies", they were both in TWINE. I don't know who you are referring to, though. Which opening are you remembering: TND (shootout at arms market) or TWINE (Chase on the Thames) .

Last edited by Decker; 06-17-03 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-17-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops, I was thinking of TWINE. Here's who I was thinking of:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Cucinotta,%20Maria%20Grazia
Old 06-17-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't mind seeing Brooke Burke as a Bond girl (provided she could do a good job acting).
Old 06-17-03, 10:50 AM
Banned

I'd like to see more Judy Dench
Old 06-17-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Charisma Carpenter might be a good choice, provided they didn't make her character annoying.
Old 06-17-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the deal with the Madonna bashing? If someone else gave the exact same performance, would that person get bashed. I'm betting no, just because she is Madonna, she gets it. She wasn't in the movie much. I wouldn't consider her role a bond girl. She had so little to do that I don't know how you can even judge her performance. As far as I'm concerned, she was fine.

I didn't even recognize her when I saw the movie the first time. I read about the role and recognized her the 2nd time I saw it.
Old 06-17-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Uh, how many superstar Bond girls have there ever been? Halle Berry and...?

A true superstar Bond girl may be a problem because of all the baggage and screen-time demands that they bring, but just a moderately well-known actress isn't such a big deal. I'd rather have a fairly capable actress in the 'big' Bond Girl roles than a completely horrible but hot international model. Besides, in these days of Maxim and FHM, it's a lot harder to find a gorgeous actress/model who is completely unknown.

Which brings me to another point: There seem to be three kinds of Bond Girls: The smart strong ones that challenge Bond, the dumb bimbo ones that have a big role, and the cameo ones that Bond uses to keep his reflexes up. For the cameo ones, they're still doing the "unknown hot foreign chick" deal. Tomorrow Never Dies had at least 2 of them. DAD had 2 as well. For the other types, it only becomes a problem when they have 'smart' Bond Girl roles played by bimbo-style actresses (see Christmas Jones).
Old 06-17-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I agree 100% with Monica Belucci as a Bond girl.

Also, I've never heard of Aishwarya Rai (haven't seen too many Bollywood epics yet) but WOW! (and she would even fit Pants' criteria of being exotic and unknown, at least outside of India).
Old 06-17-03, 09:28 PM

OK, I read it in USA Today and it's official : The next Bond Girl is...

Shannon Elizabeth!

...but it's not what you think. She's signed on to be the new Bond Girl in the next (presumably sucky) EA Bond video game called James Bond 007 : Everything Or Nothing
( on that title, BTW)
Old 06-17-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I'd like to see someone who was really intelligent, who really challenges him. Maybe Kirsten Dunst, Charleze Theron or Penelope Cruz. What I'd really like is to have a Bond girl who doesn't put up with any macho crap and maybe finds out he cheated on her (as Bond is prone to do) and then helps him out in the big finale (as Bond girls tend to do) but then dumps him for his betrayl. How cool would that be, to give Bond a broken heart of his own making?
Kirsten Dunst intelligent? I think she is extremely hot, but every time I have seen her on tv (late show, movie awards, etc) she acts like such a ditz. Always seems like she is on some **** that has got her completely f'ed up.
Old 06-17-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Ooh, Gillian Anderson. That is good. Not as good as Monica Belluci, but still worthy of a We know she can play smart/intelligent and sexy.

Also, glad no one has based Famke Janssen yet. She isn't superstar hot but her character Xenia Onatopp is. I mean crushing people with her thighs while having sex! Ingenious!
Old 06-17-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I agree w/ Monica Belucci - excellent choice.

I would love to see Eva Mendes - she is sexy has hell. She could play a serious Bond girl w/ an attitude.
Old 06-18-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Audrey Tautou anyone?

She could probably pull of a female scientist type pretty well.
Old 06-18-03, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ipkevin
Uh, how many superstar Bond girls have there ever been? Halle Berry and...?
...Teri Hatcher and Denis Richards

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.