Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ed Gein and Ronald DeFeo - No movies on these serial murderers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might not know Ed Gein by name because there hasn't been a movie yet that has tracked the true story with his name as the killer. But there has been movies based on his crimes - namely, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and, more specifically, PSYCHO. But in "Texas," the character based on Gein is an unintelligible moose. And in "Psycho," the character Norman Bates was an intelligent, crafty, and skinny depiction of Gein. How about a straight ahead story on the man, instead of movies "based on the man?"

Same thing with Ronald DeFeo, Jr. Someone says "Ronald DeFeo," and everyone goes, "Who's that?" Well, he's the guy who murdered his mother, father, two sisters, and two brothers with a shotgun early one morning in 1974. Now while that isn't exactly a unique story (unfortunately), the aftermath was phenomenal. At the trial, the 23-year old killer DeFeo tried to blame his actions on a supernatural entity, but the story wasn't to be believed and he was sent away to prison. A year later, his defense lawyer, William Weber, and the new owners of the DeFeo house, concocted a story about the house being haunted. The new owners, George and Kathy Lutz, stood to gain money on the story with a book deal (which they did), and the laywer stood to gain a new trial for his client (which it didn't). There was a book deal, a little something called The Amityville Horror, and the rest is history. There's been movies based on "Amityville," but just the fabrication aspect of it. And sure, there's been a movie loosely based on the DeFeos, but it didn't have their real names, and it still derived its plot from the supernatural. It would be great to have a movie based on the DeFeo story, from growing up in an abusive home, to the murders, to the brilliant sceme to get a new trial, to the runaway success on an alleged haunted house in New York.
Old 06-12-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 06-12-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
Ummm

And the man that plays Gein is none other than Steve Railsback, aka Charlie Manson in Helter Skelter.
Old 06-12-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Deranged (1974) and The Silence of the Lambs (1991) were also based on Ed Gein's story.

Judging by Ed Gein (2001), Deranged is pretty faithful to the actual events.
Old 06-12-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I see the Ed Gein dvd in stores ALL THE TIME.
Old 06-12-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ed Gein movie is pretty loosely based as well, and not a good movie so I wouldnt waste the time or money...
Old 06-12-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fact is, serial killer's aren't all that exciting. Sure, there stories are creepy and gruesome in summary, but there's often very little substance to their story. I imagine that's why so many writers take attributes from Serial Killers to piece together an engaging story, instead of going fact-for-fact.

Also, when you consider a fact-based story, there's the life rights to consider. Would families of victims agree to have their murdered loved ones mentioned in something that allegedly glorifies the murderer? If one was to change victims' names, that would still be playing with the facts.
Old 06-12-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yes it is a good movie. I think so anyway. So there.
Old 06-13-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
How about the new batch of serial killer movies that look liek the Ed Gein cover? I have seen Gacey, Bundy and a couple of others. Are any of these worth 2 hours of my life?
Old 06-13-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Iron Chef
Ummm

I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any movies on Gein (or DeFeo) - I know I wrote that in my thread title, but the point I was really going for was that there weren't any films in the same caliber as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho (or Silence of the Lambs, for that matter). They took bits and pieces (pun intended) of Gein for two separate, totally different characters in two totally different movies. Why not make a big budget movie with all the cream? Something as informative as Copycat - but just about one killer, not several.

Not for nothing, but that Manson film could be updated, too.
Old 06-13-03, 04:01 PM

I'm sure we'll see a film called Manson from the company that brought you crap like Ed Gein, Dahmer, & Ted Bundy
Old 06-13-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whaddya want? A documentary? It seems that with the titles you've mentioned, you've got a good representation, albeit a cross section, of serial killers. Anything factually representative of actual cases would bring the production to a bio-pic, which just don't do well outside of the documentary circuit (small indie theaters for one week runs, or straight to video, or made for TV... catch my drift?).

Little bit o' trivia - the book Psycho may have been inspired by Ed Gein, but Norman Bates wasn't meant to be representative of Gein; Bloch actually references our famous fiend by name at the end of the book... "Almost the entire front page was given over to the Bates case. AP and UP picked it up right away, and there was quite a bit about it on television. Some of the write-ups compared it to the Gein affair up north, a few years back."

I just read the book about a month ago for the first time, and was actually pretty surprised to see Gein specifically mentioned.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 06-13-03 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, and there's Henry. That's a good one.

And moving from serial killers to mass murderers, let's not forget Powers Boo, er, I mean Jim Jones. Oh who am I kidding... Powers Booth in The Guyana Tragedy is Jim Jones!

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 06-13-03 at 08:29 PM.