Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How's it all going to end?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-12-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having now seen Reloaded twice, my thoughts keep returning to the eventual end of the Matrix trilogy. The ad campaign (i.e. the poster) for Revolutions hints at the Matrix as a system coming to an end (as if we hadn't already guessed as much), and I'm having a hell of a (fun) time trying to come up with a possible scenario.

Specifically, I'm wondering what'll happen to all those plugged into the Matrix if it's shut down, how the machines will be stopped, whether the rebels will find a way to keep people plugged "safely" into the Matrix (thereby averting suicides on a massive scale) yet preventing the machines from harvesting energy from them, etc.

Also, I'm intrigued at the possibility of the humans gaining control of the Matrix and allowing it to exist. This sounds like a possible solution only if the people were not told that it is in fact only virtual reality; the psychological and societal implications of the alternative (i.e. people realizing that their lives aren't real) would probably be catastrophic.

I get the feeling that it won't all be resolved at the end of Revolutions, and that rather, the machines will no longer be a threat to the humans (could their AI be eliminated without the machines having to be destroyed?) and the human race will continue its struggle for survival in a harsh environment.

Speculate away...

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 06-12-03 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-12-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Man, I have no idea. I've watched the trailers, and can't figure it out. Somebody better spill some spoilers!
Old 06-13-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only possible way to save those plugged in would be to wrest control of the Matrix from the machines. If they actually destroyed the system, either those people would die right away, or they would starve to death since the surface is destroyed and Zion isn't currently capable of sustaining millions or billions of people. They'd have to get control, then start freeing people slowly. Hell, the shock would kill a bunch (or drive them insane), Neo barely made it out in the first movie without his brain "popping", as Cypher eloquently mentioned.

That's assuming that what we know about the real world is actually real and that MIAM is either false or has a modicum of truth about the real world, wherever it is. Perhaps there is no issue about food and other necessities, but the mental trauma would happen anyway. Either way, a slow exodus from the Matrix would be absolutely necessary.
Old 06-19-03, 06:41 PM

Well, some things in the movies and such lead to the idea that the end will show humans and machines co-existing peacefully, such as the entire speech with Neo and the council member. The game The Matrix Online supposedly takes place after Revolutions and takes place in the Matrix. The only way this could happen is if the machines stop "enslaving" the human race.
Old 06-19-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Will Ferrell (who mysteriously fills in for the Architech) comes out and tells everyone that the "real world" with Zion is really just a second layer of the Matrix that is sort of a "programming" level, and by defeating the robots, the final level - and full reality - will be revealed to them.

In case you can't tell, I have no clue
Old 06-24-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keanu Reeves will wake up in his home with Lawrence Fishburne. There will be shrooms everywhere and Bound playing on his TV. He'll say "Whoa". The end.

Thats my predicition.
Old 06-26-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sentinals will break into Zion. 250,000 killing machines staring down at the faces of what's left of humanity..

AND THEN THEY START A RAVE!! MAN AND MACHINE COME TOGETHER AT LAST!!